Would you climb Everest ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24588
I don't know why but for the past 24h I've been researching Everest and the number of deaths, the frozen bodies still up there etc.  Today I watched the film Everest with Jason Clarke, Jake Gyllenhaal, Keira Knightley etc, and I wondered how many here would like to try it ?  If you were given the opportunity and the required level of climbing training, would you want to attempt it ?

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    I've read about it too. Unfortunately, there are too many tourists doing it for, say as little as $5000. Possibly a bit more as the books I've read are a few years old. Apparently, you don't need much climbing training. Just the money for support. More money, more support. Everest isn't that hard a climb - in climbing terms. But the amount of people climbing it causes the problem. There's a bottleneck or two.
    So, due to the numbers climbing it, that would rule it out for me. I like to go off the beaten track.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited March 2017
    Nah mate, fuck that
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    I could never afford it, but I'd do it if ever the opportunity arose in which I didnt need to pay for it. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I'd rather climb The Nose on El Cap, or K2 but I'd never say no if offered the opportunity. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12447
    I thought it was around £70,000 to do it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    I would if the chance ever came up.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Bejam or Iceland?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Fuck no. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    edited March 2017
    Not for me.
    I could buy an incredible motorcycle and tour the world on it for that sort of money.
    Plus it is cold as fuck up there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I've read about it too. Unfortunately, there are too many tourists doing it for, say as little as $5000. Possibly a bit more as the books I've read are a few years old. Apparently, you don't need much climbing training. Just the money for support. More money, more support. Everest isn't that hard a climb - in climbing terms. But the amount of people climbing it causes the problem. There's a bottleneck or two.
    So, due to the numbers climbing it, that would rule it out for me. I like to go off the beaten track.
    The Tibetan permit alone is $7000. Air fare, food, equipment, transfers, a porter with a yak would double that easy and you're still on your own. I can't see how you could climb it from either side on your own and unsupported. With the level of support you get for $70,000 it is technically achievable for someone reasonably fit, but it is the level of support that makes it easier than it really ought to be. If Nepal & Tibet ripped off the fixed ropes & ladders and banned professional guides then the summit would be out of reach for all but elite climbers has the Hillary Step & Second Step especially are technically difficult pitches. Having to lug the equipment up yourself would be a game changer too. The other 12 8000 meter peaks don't have this level of support that Everest and to a degree Lhotse do so all have significantly higher risks and failures.

That said, the east face of Everest has barely been climbed because it's as good as suicidal, nor has the full North East ridge passing over the Pinnacles for the same reason. There's 15 routes up Everest and 8 of them are very difficult and 5 mean death is almost certain even for elite climbers. 99% of all ascents are from just two routes.

Regarding the film, it's a travesty and a white wash. Many people have tried to omit from history two conversations that occurred between all the teams at Base Camp when Adventure Consultants tried to order all other teams except Mountain Madness & IMAX to attempt the summit on 11th May despite knowing that storm was due that afternoon (hence in the film the South Africans storming out of the tent in a strop) and a second conversation between all of the above overhead by a British team on the Lhotse face when the film stars met the IMAX team coming down saying the weather was shit and they would try again the following week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28967
    I think there's enough litter up there already. Much better things I can do with the money.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14609
    tFB Trader
    to cold and probably to windy - no nice pint of lager when I get up there - No hotel to chill out for the night - no wifi - no sky sport - seeing less and less the attraction - But hats of to those ho have done - Especially the early pioneers before it became a tourist trap
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    No
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    Wouldn't have the minerals I don't think. I know someone who made it to base camp and that nearly killed him.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The phrase "Fuck that for a game of soldiers" has sprung to mind.........

Personally I've overcome my own battles which (at the time) were my climbing Everest. I suspect everyone here has (or will at some point) do this.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    With the amount of effort it took to climb up the stairs to bed last night I'd struggle to make it up the stairs to the plane to fly there in the first place. If they put a slide from the top back down I might reconsider 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12468
    Mrs B and I did an organised tour of India and Nepal a couple of years back. One of the other people on the trip was a Danish girl. She was super fit and tough as nails (I saw her punch an Indian guy who was hassling her and she laid him out). She was going on to base camp at Everest at the end of our trip. We kept in touch with her via Facebook afterwards and found out she only lasted a couple of days, even there. Apparently the effort needed to do anything at altitude is absolutely punishing, god knows what it's like higher up. As someone else has said, sod that for a game of soldiers. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm thinking of moving to a bungalow as the stairs are getting too much for me. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7645
    re that film, read 'In To Thin Air' - the factual account of the expedition that inspired it.

And: fuck no. That's some dangerous shit. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ChrisRGChrisRG Frets: 55
    I've considered going for one of the other 13 8000+m peaks in the past but not so much Everest.  The cost is high (£38,000 to join an expedition in 2018), you need 68 days to do it and it's very busy.  It's very dangerous but in recent years, it's got much more so.  Having said that, if I had the opportunity and cash and could justify the time away from home and the risk, I'd definitely do it.

It's obviously not for everyone but the high altitude trips I've done have been amazing, terrifying and extremely fulfilling in equal measures.  In some ways, the experiences distil life into it's basic components (eat, sleep, try not to die).  In others, it was 6 months of hard training, 6 months of detailed planning, a lot of mental preparation and then using experience and knowledge to make key decisions on the mountain.

I can fully understand why for some, Everest is the pinnacle of mountaineering.  It's obviously the highest mountain in the world and one of the hardest.   I know a couple of people who have done it and 1 friend who attempted it and got very ill.

Finally getting to the top of one of the worlds high mountains after months of planning and training and weeks of effort was for me, extremely satisfying and very emotional.

The first beer and decent meal when you get back down is awesome!!!!