Site unsecure at login warning ?

What's Hot

Comments

• The issue is that at some stage relatively soon, browsers are going to stop working with http altogether.
    They won't, for many many reasons. Certainly not before another secure-only protocol replaces HTTP/HTTPS.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2374
    Any appetite to change to a different forum platform @digitalscream ? Might make it easier for you in the long run, does seem (from reading some of your posts) like you have to do a fair bit of manual work to get stuff working with Vanilla. 

Might be worth considering? (as long as it's not VBulletin!) Not that the https thing bothers me btw
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    PVO_Dave said:
    Any appetite to change to a different forum platform @digitalscream ? Might make it easier for you in the long run, does seem (from reading some of your posts) like you have to do a fair bit of manual work to get stuff working with Vanilla. 

Might be worth considering? (as long as it's not VBulletin!) Not that the https thing bothers me btw
    None of the available platforms are problem-free. My plan - which I'm also working on as we go - is to replicate the back-end in API form using Rails, which will feed into other development that we need to complete in order to meet our overall goals of turning this into more-than-just-a-forum.

Once I've rebuilt the data structures and logic in a more sensible (and scalable) form, it opens up the possibility of using much better (and more modern) front-end libraries to solve all of these problems.
    <space for hire>
    Headless forum! :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    All those in favour of reverting to communication via weekly or monthly print publications, say aye. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    You could setup a proxy page that serves insecure content over https. It would increase server load but you could also implement a caching system for content in popular posts to improve speed.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Can I just ask a basic question please?  When people buy and sell gear on here a lot of that, if not all, takes place via PM including the exchange of a fair amount of private details.  Are PM's secure?  I'm no techy, so just need a yes or no I think so I can act accordingly.  Many thanks.
  • thebreeze said:
    Can I just ask a basic question please?  When people buy and sell gear on here a lot of that, if not all, takes place via PM including the exchange of a fair amount of private details.  Are PM's secure?  I'm no techy, so just need a yes or no I think so I can act accordingly.  Many thanks.
    They're secure as in "there's no way to access the database, and the only other way to get them is to be involved in the thread". The only person outside a conversation who can read them is me, and I don't ever do that unless there's a serious legal issue at hand.
    <space for hire>
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Thanks @digitalscream - that’s good to know.
    Not a moan as completely understand and have no issue with the https position, but bit of a heads up that it’s starting to show the warning now on my iPhone in Safari, hadn’t noticed it before, don’t know if it’s 12.2 release addition but might drive some more ‘enquiries’ your way :) 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    I’m getting it on iOS 12.2 too.
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    Your password can only be found out if you are using public wifi, or have others using the same router as yours. I have tested this on my own WiFi by logging in on my phone and then looking at the HTTP packet. You should be fine unless a very experienced network eavesdropper is doing a MITM attack. https://us.norton.com/internetsecurity-wifi-what-is-a-man-in-the-middle-attack.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 251
    I’m getting a warning on iOS Safari when accessing the forum. It looks like the site’s certificate has expired.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    iPhone Safari browser really didn’t want me to visit this site, took about five clicks and many warnings to gain access. 

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    If the site needs donations to help pay for any wool needed, i’m sure many of us will make a contribution. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Done :)

Sorry guys, for some reason Google decided that all the renewal notifications were spam. Wonderfully helpful.
    <space for hire>
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    edited June 2021

for some reason Google decided that all the renewal notifications were spam. Wonderfully helpful.

Tossers!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22739
    Glad this is sorted out, it gave me quite a fright last night.  I thought I might have to resort to working all day.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited June 2021
    Philly_Q said:
    Glad this is sorted out, it gave me quite a fright last night.  I thought I might have to resort to working all day.
    Even worse here. I ignored the warnings and finally managed to get the site to display on my phone.

My bank account has now been emptied to my overdraft limit and there are naked pictures of me all over Facebook and Instagram….
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579

My bank account has now been emptied to my overdraft limit and there are naked pictures of me all over Facebook and Instagram….
    Yes, but these comments are off topic/thread derailment
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom