Obsessive Learning?

What's Hot
Your honest opinions please.

This is in no way a bragging outlet for me, I've been meaning to ask this for a while. In the 3 years since I started playing guitar again after a break, I have amassed a shed load of songs, solos from songs or both that I took upon myself to learn. 

I have tab written down in a big folder and also a dedicated Word File with a ton more stuff on. There must be 200(bottom line) songs that I have focused on and learned, sometimes just writing down the bits that are hardest to learn and the easiest to forget etc.

A lot of them I would have to recap, but could pick up again quickly if needed. I have to ask the question: Am I obsessive or is it normal in that, that is probably the main reason I play guitar? Because I am awed by what has been laid down by artists in the past, the sound and the mystique coupled with the pleasure of " Nailing Something" even if it is just getting the same tone as someone has on a record.

I'd say 50% of my playing time goes on learning other songs etc. I used to do this the first time round when I played guitar. Should I just accept that I like doing this and not think to myself "You should be doing something else".

I'm know I have my own playing style and technique, maybe I think there is a Stigma attached to being "Polly Parrot" on guitar, I don't know. I haven't a problem with it.

I do practice other things as well, it's just this hunger saying "I've got to learn that song, solo, guitar fill" etc.

Would be good to here someone else's perspective on this though.

Thanks.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Nuffink wrong with learning other peoples stuff.

The guitar is yours to play/learn as you like, and how it suits you best.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    it looks to me that you got the self discipline and persistence so if you're happy with where you are and you feel you're on the right path to where you wanna be then great!

If smth is not working out with your method then have the honesty to find out what it is and change it.

Learning other's bits is crucial and helps in all aspects of playing imho.
    What people often miss is that developing one's own style is smth the needs practicing as well, it doesn't just happen magically after countless hours of transcribing.
    So if that's smth you want to do then you need to do the dirty work: play what you learn in all keys, positions etc, and try to alter them and come up with your own permutations. If you don't want to go there that's also fine.
    What matters the most is for you to be happy playing the gtr and meeting whatever targets you set
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    There is no right or wrong way to do it. 

I'm a total lazy bastard and I hardly learn anything unless I have to play it for a band. I learnt 35 songs for a dep gig earlier in the year which was hard work, but left to my own devices I'm more likely to focus on technique and improvisation. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @mike_l

True, I just worry that I'm overloading my brain with the amount of songs I learn or whether I am over criticising myself for not remembering things easier. I suppose that is ridiculous if you think about it considering the number of songs I expect to retain in my brain indefinitely.

Wow, that is an awful lot of songs to learn for a gig, no pressure there then, lol. How long did you get to learn them? I might be afraid of the answer.

Thanks, wisdom awarded. I can pat myself on the back a little I suppose as I have taken the time to learn a good bit of theory as well.

I think it's a must really, it allows me to improvise too, which I like doing. I just tend to be more under the spell of learning existing tunes.

Oh well, time and patience, as they say. It all stays in the memory after long enough I expect.

:)
    tFB Trader
    I think I had about a month to learn them and one rehearsal to play through them.
    Good fun, but hard work.
  • I think I had about a month to learn them and one rehearsal to play through them.
    Good fun, but hard work.
    @monquixote

Christ, that's a tough deadline. I think part of the uncertainty and doubt that crept into me tonight may stem from fear of how much information I am expected to store in my brain for possible future gigging or recollection if I have to play something "off the bat".

I suppose in a regular band situation though, you'd do rehearsals twice a week or something and songs learned become second nature. It's a long time ago but the material we did then did become branded onto the brain.

I don't have a problem remembering the theory I've learned but maybe I am expecting to remember too many impromptu songs? I probably have unrealistic expectations in that department?

Sorry, I'm having one of me moments again.

:((
    tFB Trader
    Once you get into the rhythm of a regular gigging band it's a piece of piss. 

The rock band I played in 70% of the set was the same for about two years. Once you are playing with some degree of frequency you can play it in your sleep and all the effort goes into performing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @monquixote

I get these times when a load of frustration culminates inside me and I just have to vent ramblings like a loony.

:)
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    A friend of mine (ex-electric-guitar-tutor-now-teaching-me-classical) is super disciplined.  He tried to teach me his way, change scales for each chord, make sure you get such and such right etc.  There is nothing wrong with this, and it's admirable that people can be so strict.  However, after a while it kinda stressed me out and I realised that I just like to play, not really think or worry about what I do.  I generally pick a scale and work around it, things don't have to perfect.

Having said all this, I think if you're happy with your approach and the results you get, then don't worry about it.

If you are stressing with your approach, maybe give yourself a break, make a cuppa, perhaps lighten the load a tad, have a day off.

Do whatever works for you and enjoy it.

And certainly don't obsess about obsessing!!!