Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The gratuitous Les Paul Junior DC appreciation thread.

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
So since everyone is 'into' the DC shape at the moment it would seem. 

Here is mine.

Post yours and lets get this DC thread up and running!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Excellent, you kept it pink! You ever find out why it was pink from the factory aside from The Darkness theory?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    not mine, but a 1960 i restored

work i did:
    *strip canary yellow refin
    *correct neck twist
    *reprofile fretboard 
    *refret
    *re work headstock fix to make less visible
    *refin in original cherry red

pickup was an original, but had been rewound be lindy fralin quite a few years before.  all other hardware and electronics except for tuners were original too

album of pics:
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    edited December 2013
    I'm very much into the DC shape at the mo' and in fact have something very special coming my way some time in January from my new friend in the North...
    I have a build pic on my laptop that I'll post up tomorrow !
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    jd0272 said:
    Excellent, you kept it pink! You ever find out why it was pink from the factory aside from The Darkness theory?
    Nope. Gibson confirmed it was a 'one off' when I contacted them, but would not say who for and the Darkness' manager spoke with Dan and he didn't recognise it when I sent him some pics. Never got an answer out of Justin, but I forgot to remind the manager to ask him.

Not bothered though as I'm not a fan of the band myself.

The colour is pretty sweet, only problem now is I want another DC as they are great guitars and very addictive. Not sure I would buy a Gibson Custom Shop one though, as lets face it there isn't much to them in construction terms and they are pretty basic.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I don't have one, but this is an all-original 1958 LPJ DC that a German chap on Sevenstring.org owns:

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    stonevibe said:
    jd0272 said:
    Nope. Gibson confirmed it was a 'one off' when I contacted them, but would not say who for and the Darkness' manager spoke with Dan and he didn't recognise it when I sent him some pics. Never got an answer out of Justin, but I forgot to remind the manager to ask him.

The colour is pretty sweet, only problem now is I want another DC as they are great guitars and very addictive. Not sure I would buy a Gibson Custom Shop one though, as lets face it there isn't much to them in construction terms and they are pretty basic.

it looks almost like they did the red stained grain fill the original got then finished it white.   if you look at the before pics on mine the under scratchplate shots show how the red grain fill managed to discolour the later yellow refin in a similar way
    WezV said:
    stonevibe said:
    jd0272 said:

it looks almost like they did the red stained grain fill the original got then finished it white.   if you look at the before pics on mine the under scratchplate shots show how the red grain fill managed to discolour the later yellow refin in a similar way
    They called it 'Red & White' when I asked them.

Found their email

Hello Jeff,

Custom Shop needed a little while to dive into the archive and get back to us.

The guitar on the pictures is registered as a Les Paul Junior Double Cut made by Custom Shop in 2001. The colour is Red and White. We could trace anymore if the guitars were especially made for a certain artist however.

If you need further help, please let us know. Kind regarsds,

Boris

Customer Service

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They're all nice nice. 
  • Mine's more of a tribute to them than a clone, there's not much left of the DC except a similar silhouette, and the pickguard shape though;

DrBob;112545" said:

Right, come on, colour, specs, finish...
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Well,

He hasn't got any of the old growth Mahogany that he used to make yours so he's using Brazilian Cedar which is part of the Mahogany Family. John's used it on a couple of guitars and in John's words:

"It's a little lighter in weight than Honduras Mahogany, tonally it's very similar, but a little more open. It sounds great, I'd put it up there with the best old growth Honduras I've used, and it's head and shoulders better than the Honduras Mahogany available these days."

So that all sounds very promising.

Brazilian Rosewood board, hot hide glue

BKP 90 pickup, Shugz wiring loom, Faber lightweight compensated ally tailpiece. Fat neck, Big frets.

As for looks ?

I've asked him to make it look as much like yours as possible ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @DrBob you tinker! Excellent stuff. Presume you'll be starting a build thread? I missed loads of photos due to his fire and relocation.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    Can two pickup DC Les Paul Special's play too...

My baby with an ugly bloke behaving like he's 19 still (and failing) - 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    edited December 2013
    The DC is probably my favourite-ist shape.

This was mine for a couple of years, until I (stupidly) sold it to @McToot, thinking that I didn't need *2* twin P-90 twin-cutaway, plain satin finished guitars.

As if stupidly selling it wasn't bad enough, even more stupidly I didn't buy it back from him when he sold it.

Yup, I'm really that stupid.

Incidentally, this was what I chose over the Gibbo, largely for sentimental reasons:

Pretty much the same DC shape ... 

From the summer's build activity

And one that I've just bought, in which all the hard work has been done, and I just need to finish it off.

@GuitarWeasel will be getting a call in the New Year for a pickup, or possibly two.  Haven't decided whether to cover the neck rout with a scratchplate and have a single p'up beasty, or whether I should stick a couple in there.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    TTony said:
    The DC is probably my favourite-ist shape.

This was mine for a couple of years, until I (stupidly) sold it to @McToot, thinking that I didn't need *2* twin P-90 twin-cutaway, plain satin finished guitars.

As if stupidly selling it wasn't bad enough, even more stupidly I didn't buy it back from him when he sold it.

Yup, I'm really that stupid.

Please see picture above - now mine. :-) VERY VERY VERY good guitar and sorry, Tony, I don't think you'll be getting an opportunity to buy it back - I gig it at least once a week! :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342

@impmann - Jules did say that it had gone to a good home, where it would get the playtime that it deserved!

That's definitely the one that I regret moving on.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Yeah I want a DC Special. Great shapes, basic, solid chunks of wood, comfy, and good access. What's not to like?
    Too many pickups on a Special for me.

I'll stick with the Juniors.