Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The gratuitous Les Paul Junior DC appreciation thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    stonevibe;112640" said:
    Too many pickups on a Special for me.

I'll stick with the Juniors.

Normally I'd agree, but I quite like the sound of a neck P90.

"You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    stonevibe;112418" said:
    @stonevibe Cowtown Guitars have a lovely aged '58 Jnr in their stock. Pricey, but oosh nice. Obv other side of the Pond, sadly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited December 2013
    My Les Paul DC Studio. A guitar that can cause confusion , as Gibson renamed it several times during the time that they made it. Also it has nothing to do with the current Studio range. Mine dates from 1995

and

Both since sold.

The first because I had the lower Custom Shop one which I then didn't get on with so I sold that too.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7133
    I still think the neck pickup spoils these guitars and am more inclined to go with a regular Junior DC without the extra pup and controls.

All personal choice and no bearing on performance etc

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16643
    the neck pickup does change the sound and feel quite dramatically.

Its not just as simple as adding an extra tonal option, you also add a lot more magnet pull on the strings at a position where the string is trying to move more.    some of the rawness you get with a single bridge pickup is lost.

Its a worthwhile compromise on many guitars, but I love juniors and esquires for that extra mojo

WezV said:
    the neck pickup does change the sound and feel quite dramatically.

Its not just as simple as adding an extra tonal option, you also add a lot more magnet pull on the strings at a position where the string is trying to move more.    some of the rawness you get with a single bridge pickup is lost.

Its a worthwhile compromise on many guitars, but I love juniors and esquires for that extra mojo

Completely agree and to me they are versatile anyway, so why spoil them with another pickup.

My Esquire build is raw and rocking' with just the one pickup.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited December 2013
    I'm now thinking of getting Grahame to send me a sale one... I quite fancy finishing it in either an aqua sort of colour, or wudtone conch shell (pinky pastel).

Hmmmm.

Although I've bid on a nice looking Telecaster body so if I win that, I definitely won't! Kinda hoping I don't now, those lp dcs look great.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    DC Jr's are one of the best looking guitars IMO, keep 'em coming. Where's the TV yellows FFS?
  • Sounds daft, but are they only available in about 5 colours?  For the most part, I only see cherry red or tv yellow...  It's a shape that lends itself to pretty much any solid colour imo.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    edited December 2013
    here's my contribution a Les Paul DC standard. Though the bridge pup has now been changed and its also been fitted with a faber bridge, posts and lock down alu tailpiece

gjonesy;113485" said:
    here's my contribution a Les Paul DC standard. Though the bridge pup has now been changed and its also been fitted with a faber bridge, posts and lock down alu tailpiece
    Nice. Always liked those but think the body as well as the neck shoulda been bound.
  • Bucket said:
    I don't have one, but this is an all-original 1958 LPJ DC that a German chap on Sevenstring.org owns:

Did the guy receive cooler time for posting a picture of a six string?  Clearly a violation of what must be Sevenstring.org rule #1.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    jd0272 said:
    gjonesy;113485" said:
    Nice. Always liked those but think the body as well as the neck shoulda been bound.

Cheers this one got the prs style masked faux binding one body, as was mentioned above theres a few different specs for these. I thought the studio was a 22fret but the one above proves Im wrong
  • gjonesy said:
    jd0272 said:
    gjonesy;113485" said:

Cheers this one got the prs style masked faux binding one body, as was mentioned above theres a few different specs for these. I thought the studio was a 22fret but the one above proves Im wrong
    This particular range of DC Standards and Studios only varied in the cosmetics of the guitar. Both had 24 frets. It is said that this guitar design was originally produced as a response to the increasing success of PRS at the time, and early on you could have had this guitar with either a 24.75 inch scale length, or a 25.5 inch one.
  • Some of the Studios had a wrapover bridge

edited December 2013
  • I could be wrong but I think that the BYO kit has a more accurate headstock shape. And it's a lot more expensive.

I think that one from @GSPBASSES is a better option than either.
    gjonesy said:
    jd0272 said:
    gjonesy;113485" said:

This particular range of DC Standards and Studios only varied in the cosmetics of the guitar. Both had 24 frets. It is said that this guitar design was originally produced as a response to the increasing success of PRS at the time, and early on you could have had this guitar with either a 24.75 inch scale length, or a 25.5 inch one.
    and I forgot to add mine is chambered so its a "lite" - so many variations of these about