Magnetic Effects - The low down and happenings...

What's Hot

Comments

• Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    @Ro_S Ok, the Double Feature story goes like this...

I built the first Double Feature as a fun pedal for myself and then sold it. Someone else inquired about it and so I made another one. Then their friend wanted one and so I made another one... After I had built about 60 of them as custom orders I realised it might be time to make an official version. 

The hammetone versions started out being made on strip board before switching to pcb. Along the way I constantly tinkered with the circuit for fun. At that time I didn't realise I would keep making them. All variations of the same theme though. 

Your Double Feature version probably has the first version of the wah circuit which is a bit different from the Isotope wah circuit. Current production version of the Double Feature has a slightly different tuned wah circuit which is kind of a cross between the early version and the Isotope. 

Your White Atom is a V1. Current version is V2. (There was also a V1.5 which was essentially the same as the V1 but reconfigured to use different polarity transistors.)

Your Solar Bender is an early one probably tuned a little bit hotter in the gain. Built 60's style on strip board before I switched to pcb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    thanks!!

:)
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

edited May 2016 tFB Trader
    For your weekend viewing pleasure.

edited October 2019 tFB Trader
    Dave liked the Satellite Overdrive so much he had a giant one made to gaze upon in his bedroom.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over. 
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• @Magnetic_Effects are you going to be delving into the world of Muffs any time soon?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    @Jonathanthomas83 I have a few new things on the horizon but not a Muff based pedal. 

• @Magnetic_Effects makes me sad. Ltd run, for me??? ;-)

tFB Trader
    @Jonathanthomas83 I have toyed with the idea of a limited run of Muff's. Experimented on the breadboard a few times but can't decide what mods/features to include!
  • @Magnetic_Effects a mids control or switch to boost mids or scoop them would be good. Ability to go from Rams Head to Civil War, maybe? But mostly, would like something innovative like the White Atom and in the same form factor. I love the tone range, gain range and texture control on the WA, something like that with a purely Muff flavour would be awesome. 

tFB Trader
    @Jonathanthomas83 Good suggestions. Same form factor as the White Atom would be the way I would do it if I did do something Muff style. I would definitely would want to do my own take on the Muff circuit though.

I play with the Muff circuit every now and then and have come up with some good variations but I am never quite satisfied. Also, to get it sounding how I like it usually ends up being super complex. Might have to take another crack at it now. You have got me thinking again...

Did you ever ending up trying out a Rat that you liked?

• @Magnetic_Effects "I would definitely want to do my own take", music to my ears mate! I hoped you'd say that.

Im really pleased that it's got you thinking, and hope something comes of it. I'll honestly be first in line fella!

I bought a Soothsayer and it didn't do what I hoped it would so sent it back. However, it did other stuff incredibly well, so may end up buying it back sometime. I like that pedal, a lot!

Please tell us about your new 'Buzzer' model.

I started a separate thread dedicated to the Buzzer here in the "Made in the UK" section. Check that for in-depth info.

Essentially, the Buzzer is a limited edition Burns Buzzaround clone with an added Master Volume control, polarity reverse circuit and Germanium transistors. Top mounted jacks/DC socket, LED and smaller enclosure than the original. 

The original Burns Buzzaround is a somewhat rare but excellent sounding fuzz from the 1960's. I would describe the sound of the fuzz as fierce and focused. The controls are highly interactive. I dig it!

edited August 2016 tFB Trader

tFB Trader
    tFB Trader
    Fun with the White Atom! All guitars recorded through a White Atom. 

tFB Trader
    Looking for something to play along with? Here is a guitar backing track I made.

In this week's issue of Tales Of Tone... Attack of the Satellites! Will Chuck survive?...