Feline Guitars - builds in progress that are FOR SALE

What's Hot
FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
edited August 2016 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Just thought I'd separate out the builds in progress that are just being built for stock , as many think that all the builds we are doing are commissions and not available to buy.
Hopefully this way if you see something that you like and think may be the one for you you can chat to me about making it yours...

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    edited July 2022 tFB Trader

Whilst I love working with highly figured timbers , every now and then you just want to make a solid colour guitar and what could be cooler than a Black Les Paul Custom style guitar.
    I have always loved them and I confess it was either Peter Frampton on the cover of his live album, Ace Frehley using his 3 pickup custom around 1980 or maybe John Sykes adding to the firepower of Thin Lizzy or Whitesnake that got me hooked on this classic looking guitar.

So here is one I decided to make - the machineheads were a reference of Frehley's LP Custom with the old style Grovers with the pearl buttons

Naturally it features our usual all access neck joint & quartersawn 3 piece neck 

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016 tFB Trader

Over the years I'd often wanted to make my own take on that beautiful Les Paul that Chris Derrig working at Music Works in Redondo Beach, California made and that was bought by GNR manager Alan Niven and give to Slash so he could complete the work on the Appetite For Destruction album.

Finally I turned up some timbers that had just the kind of grain pattern I wanted to build this and prompted by some great conversations about the details of this guitar I took the plunge to build something "in the spirit of" that guitar rather than going for a 100% clone.
     It features our all access neck joint, on a neck that is a bit '59 LP in terms of shape. Dunlop 6000 frets make bends and vibrato a breeze. Weight on this is 8lb 6 oz, so bang on the ideal weight in my opinion for a solid LP style guitar.

The pickups are something I dreamed up and collaborated with Ash at Oil City pickups for, as part of his new Masterwound range.
    They are alnico 2 magnet, plain enamel AWG42 wire, and take a lot of their DNA from both the Alnico 2 Pro that the original Derrig had and The Pearly Gates which Billy Gibbons rocks so well with.
     I christened this set "The Tubesnake" and that ties in with both Tubesnake Boogie by ZZTop and Slash's Snakepit in my head so the name seemed to stick .
    We also sell these fab pickups separately if they take your fancy.

Now we have a completed one available to buy right away as seen above and a second one that is getting near to completion
    as you can see below

Prices on these are £2850

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Feline Lion Cub Deluxe Flametop £2500

Sometimes we make versions of our junior model with fancy tops and pretty inlays. This one also has some degree of chambering under the cap to reduce weight and add an airyness to the sound. Loaded with Bare knuckle Pickups Mules it still packs a nice warm punch

This one is approaching completion ...still needs a fret dress and set up

The maple front is a one piece front (flat) with some rather pretty grain

The all access neck carve is there - back plates are anodised aluminium which form a faraday cage with the nickel screning compound we use.

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    what prices jon?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Tabby Thinline with flame maple top 
    An ash bodied tele style guitar , heavily chambered  with a maple front.
    We have a nice pair of Oil City Tele pickups to go in - a Diesel Tap for the bridge and a Hardman for the neck

Will be £2400

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    They all look amazing!
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    Oh man, the two Chris Derrig inspired ones are gorgeous. Will the second one end up with the same colour of finish as the first one? I like them both just as they are.
    tFB Trader
    DiscoStu said:
    Oh man, the two Chris Derrig inspired ones are gorgeous. Will the second one end up with the same colour of finish as the first one? I like them both just as they are.
    Thankyou for the thumbs up
    Part of the reason for showing them in this thread is so that if someone takes a liking to something and wants to become the buyer they can choose things like colour etc if they have strong ideas about what it should be

• AlexHunterAlexHunter Frets: 422
    Jonathan, is the black les paul a mahogany neck with 6000 fretwire? As always, I'm terribly interested.
    tFB Trader
    Jonathan, is the black les paul a mahogany neck with 6000 fretwire? As always, I'm terribly interested.
    Naturally - my favourite wire and very well suited as Frehley had that fitted to his guitars

tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    what prices jon?
    Prices have been added to assist with financial planning.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I'll be very interested to see how that Black LPC style progresses.

Lovely looking work all round. :)
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Always love your posts and these guitars are stunning. One day...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Seeexxxxyyyyyyy
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Hey @FelineGuitars - have you ever had any experience with the Evertune bridges?
    tFB Trader
    No real experience although we understand the concept of how they work. However we really didn't like how much wood you had to remove to install them

tFB Trader
    A couple more for the on the bench and available to order up or buy collection.....

First up is a nice solid Lion Supreme with an ebony board and a plain top (for those who don't like fancy flamed woods)
    It could be a solid colour or a translucent or burst...or a goldtop etc

Next is a lightweight Lion Supreme with a pretty bit of quilt (this may have been from the same batch as the wood on 20th Anniversary #4 especially as it seems a light piece of quilt  as that guitar was). We went for a rosewood board on this one  as many will prefer the warmer tones a rosewood board has.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • derndern Frets: 357
    All stunning, beautiful work.
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1215
    tFB Trader
    Nice work Jonathan :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    How much are the lion supremes? I'm desperately trying to justify a 25th anniversary but not sure I'll be able to do it.