The home built and partscaster appreciation thread

What's Hot
Any guitar you've put together, finished or tinkered with enough for it to class as a homebrew (triggers broom?).

My jazzmaster. Complete with ocp strat and cow-t-ron pickups, and still needing a tiny bit more shim to get a better action and a couple of string trees before I can bend the high e more than a tone without it popping out of the nut... I think it's quite beautiful, the Wudtone carried on caring for a while and it now feels so hard and smooth, you could make an innuendo from it.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2878/10665731755_e413d5e8b1_b.jpg

In hindsight, not the best first partscaster, but I learnt a lot and it sounds wonderful for rhythm work. Just needs playability tweaking, which I'm going to work on today (shimming!).

I've got a tele on the way, and gspbasses will be doing me a prs style build when his finger has healed, so that's my year sorted!

So go on, let's see some real beauts. :D
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Ooh, ooh. I've got a couple of beauties to post up in this section but I'm in Glasgow with the inlaws till Sunday so I shall have to post upon my return !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    All of my Fender-style guitars are built from parts... but my latest one is this:

Guitar Build body, Squier CV neck, Oil City Honky Tonk Angel pickups and Wudtone finish.

Marvelous. :-)

Next one will be a Jazzmaster. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2014
    Three of my Partscaster Teles

The Jeleguar I built that now resides with Jef (stonevibe)...

My "Strat" - a 1980s Tokai body, mated to a Fernandes neck, with a Callaham bridge... I can't remember what pickups are in it right now but it does sound fab...

"Woody" - alder body by John Manuel, neck is a Fender Lite Ash birdseye one and a pair of 1980s Hand Wound Kent Armstrong humbuckers.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh and the red 335-crossed-Tele I built that now resides with DefaultM... John Manuel Ash body, Musicraft flamed mahogany neck and LeoSound humbuckers... really lovely guitar:

• @impmann, that jeleguar is bloody lovely!

Not to say the rest are not, but I'd have that one in a heartbeat.
    Yes, definitely one I regret selling... and to this day, I actually don't remember why I sold it. Custom body in Alder by John Manuel (Olympic white nitro finish), Fender AVRI trem unit, Staytrem bridge, Staytrem arm, Oil City Hardman pickups, Allparts neck... 

Oh well. Gone now...

• dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    My first complete build, made for my son. Korina (I think) body, maple neck, Duncan Designed Humbuckers at present, Tru-oil finish.image

Partscaster Strat, alder body, Brandini neck, Fender Fat 50s, series wiring, tru-oil finishimage

Another strat, alder body, CV Squier neck, P-rails, Wudtone finishimage

And a Tele for a change. Swamp Ash body, tru-oil finish, Aerisi neck, Oil City Honky Tonk Angel bridge, Tonerider neck pickup, series wiringimage
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlanPAlanP Frets: 54
    edited January 2014

Mighty Mite body (from ebay), Mighty Mite neck (from the MR Forum), BKP Mule in the bridge (more MR), BKP Yardbird in the neck.
    5-way switch (neck, neck + bridge single, neck+bridge parallel HB, bridge parallel HB, bridge single), Grover mini locking rotomatics, axesrus metalwork & bits - really works brilliantly, mucho twang...

(I've also got a Warmoth Strat with SSS Fralins, and a couple more "in progress")

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    All of these ...

The one on the right - its body at least - is now being Jookyfied for the benefit of forum funds.

The red one will shortly be looking for a new home (if it hasn't already found it);

The blonde one is a stonker.  
    Largely thanks to the Warmoth rosewood neck, and one of Ash's finest Diesel Tap pickups ( @theGuitarWeasel).

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    All of these ...

The one on the right - its body at least - is now being Jookyfied for the benefit of forum funds.

The red one will shortly be looking for a new home (if it hasn't already found it);

The blonde one is a stonker.  
    Largely thanks to the Warmoth rosewood neck, and one of Ash's finest Diesel Tap pickups ( @theGuitarWeasel).

I've never liked Blonde guitars, until I saw that one.  Jebus, it's eye wateringly tasty.  The black hardware just works perfectly.  

Because of seeing that neck, it makes me wonder if I could save up for a few months and spend out on a Warmoth rosewood neck, or maybe one of the other exotics, like goncalo alves or ebony.  

Hmm...

Did you finish the neck at all?  

And nice one for the body contribution.  :D
  • Also re: the warmoth neck, did you roll the edges at all?  I've heard they can be a bit square, so I'm after a bit of advice on making them a bit rounder and more comfy :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Re the neck - I just oiled it lightly.  Didn't need to roll the edges, as they felt fine to me.

Their necks are nice, but can be expensive.  Don't forget that you'll need to add about 20% to the landed cost to cover VAT & duties, plus another £10-£12 on top of that for the ParcelFarce handling fee.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    Re the neck - I just oiled it lightly.  Didn't need to roll the edges, as they felt fine to me.

Their necks are nice, but can be expensive.  Don't forget that you'll need to add about 20% to the landed cost to cover VAT & duties, plus another £10-£12 on top of that for the ParcelFarce handling fee.
    Nice.  Looks well pretty.  

Yeah, I've had a Warmoth body and got hit with all that.  I won't order anything from the states unless I can afford it and then some - it'll be a while before I've got the dollar for the neck, so it gives me time to drill, sand, finish and wire up the body.  
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    My Tele Mustang thing. I love it. It's got a lovely-looking string-wound strat neck pickup waiting to go in, thanks to @TheGuitarWeasel

I love that "Trigger's broom" is a readily-understood metaphor now. My dad and I say "Father Ted's car" to describe a situation where you've continued doing a job past the point where you should have just left it.
    I love Impman's guitar, too!
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Must say I'm loving the Jazzmaster/Jaguar style partscaster on this thread - Ed Grip's above looks highly inviting, and I'm really taken with TPD's one that opens this thread is superb too. Might have to try my own variation on this theme one day. But for now, these are the 3 I've done, a tele, a strat, and my own "wave" creation, all using swamp ash bodies made by Guitarbuild. Tru Oil on the tele and strat, a clear satin Wudtone kit on the "wave".

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Well - two spring to mind.

This one started as a neck - a pal had a Hank Marvin neck (complete with cigarette burn) and wanted 'in the style of Marvin but a little different' body to go with it.  

This was the neck:

...and this was the body I put to it.

Started life as an Axesrus Ash strat body, veneered with Myrtle and - yes, you guessed it - red ink.  Can't remember what the pickups were but probably Tonerider Vintage Blues singles.  He still has it and is still well chuffed with it.  Seem to remember putting in the Acme (?) mod in, which used the second tone to dial in the middle pickup - great control of the sound!

This next one was probably my most accomplished partscaster.  Started life as a MIJ Fender, stripped and veneered in Amboyna, Kinmans put in with the Kinman K9 switching system and a Callaham trem.  Sold to a chap who regularly posts in Youtube the most authentic Marvin covers you can imagine 
    :)

Thanks for looking

Andy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    impmann said:
    The Jeleguar I built that now resides with Jef (stonevibe)...

Oh man, I LOVE that.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."