What guitar colour are you most drawn to?

What's Hot

Comments

• NeilNeil Frets: 3614
    Ice cream pastel colours on Fenders definitely.

Stuff like Daphne blue, Surf green and Shell pink evokes those old '50 cars and period.

I don't like any Fender with fancy wood finish, just looks wrong to me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72241
    Yeah, but black always does. And there's Candy Apple Red, which is basically sparkly cherry :p
    Totally agree on black... that's why it was my first choice ;). Any guitar looks good in black, even acoustics.

I'm not a huge fan of Candy Apple, even on Fenders. There's a fine line between it looking classy and looking cheap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Yeah, but black always does. And there's Candy Apple Red, which is basically sparkly cherry :p
    Totally agree on black... that's why it was my first choice ;). Any guitar looks good in black, even acoustics.

I'm not a huge fan of Candy Apple, even on Fenders. There's a fine line between it looking classy and looking cheap.
    I like a nice satin black, matte black or a thinner nitro or poly type black, but a lot of thicker poly finishes in black can make the guitar look like it's... Well, plastic, that other colours don't seem to manage.  

But I agree that black is the most accessible finish, works well for going from your death metal band to the smooth jazz improv next door :P
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Some reason I'm drawn to transparent black/grey finishes.

I quite like a sparkly candy red and orange though :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    It has always been odd to me that I end up favouring black guitars.

I don't like black guitars, particularly.
    Actually I'm kinda sick of them.

But all of the significant guitars before the Forshage were black.

1987 Kinman Telecaster- black.
    1989 PRS Custom - black.
    Tom Anderson Classic - black.

These are the guitars that I did a lot of work on and played/gigged loads.

The Forshage though is a brown/root beer colour and I'm very happy with it.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26914
    ICBM said:

True enough. I only include red to sort out 335s and SGs, which look dull in black. 

Tbh as long as it isn't uber-flamed or quilted or tropical colours I'm easy :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 832
    edited January 2014
    jd0272 said:
    rockmonster;120684" said:
    I'm not sure what I'm attracted to but I really hate green guitars!

Y'see, I'm not a green fan either, but I love the look of Candy Apple Green. No idea what I'd put the colour on, but it's lovely.

Not a red fan, but like Dakota Red. Pelham Blue. White Blonde. Black.
    Ha ha! I don't mind candy apple green either especially on Kawasakis!
    http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv208/therockmonster/image_zps1ed57837.jpg
    True enough. I only include red to sort out 335s and SGs, which look dull in black.
    Nah, 335s and SGs look evil in black! Although SGs look evil in cherry too :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:

Any guitar looks good in black,
    even acoustics.
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no!!  :D
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Can't really disagree with not many guitars looking 'wrong' in black, although I'd still take a natural/butterscotch Telecaster over a black one...just...
    ICBM said:

even acoustics.
    Yes.

:)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    ICBM said:

even acoustics.
    Yes.

:)
    http://www.bngmusicthailand.com/images/column_1279270158/OVATION MT-37-5-2.jpg
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    edited January 2014
    no and that last one has more than proved it.

acoustics should always be natural wood..............electrics shouldnt, ever.  

for electrics I prefer warm colours, lighter bursts, reds/ambers  and cream for strats -  hate blue, hate green especially the "surf"  types
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • bertie said:
    no and that last one has more than proved it.

acoustics should always be natural wood..............electrics shouldnt, ever.  

for electrics I prefer warm colours, lighter bursts, reds/ambers  and cream for strats -  hate blue, hate green especially the "surf"  types
    Other than the inlays, I really like the MT sig Ovation... But Ovation will always polarise. 

In real life, the matte black looks great, and it's awesome hearing an acoustic strung in drop A.  
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    *weeps*
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26914
    Balls to that Slipknot thing but Martins and Hummingbirds look brilliant in black. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5000
    Balls to black acoustics. They should all be natural, except for J45-type guitars in sunburst of course.

Strats with maple boards - two-tone sunburst.
    Strats with rosewood boards - three-tone sunburst.
    Maple board Teles - butterscotch.
    Rosewood board Teles - three-tone sunburst with body binding. 
    Les Pauls - sunburst or gold, although Customs need to be black.

Actually I don't mind a few of the Fender custom colours, but not on my guitars - although I did inherit an early 80s Tokai Strat in ice blue metallic!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I Likes in Equal Measures.

Reds, Blues, Purples, White, Cherryburst, Honeyburst, Sunburst(3 tone), Surf, Foam and Aqua Greens.

I would avoid.
    Sunburst( 2 tone), Black, Gaudy Greens, Plain Wood Grain(although I do like this on some Bass Guitars), Pink(with rare exceptions), Yellow, Gold, Grey.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8686
    I like anything where the wood grain shows, plain or not, and particularly the lighter shades like honeyburst
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Hummingbirds look brilliant in black. 
    Yes they do :).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Qro2goPq32M/UZiXPo-3m1I/AAAAAAAAJG4/_pOMit4vtlQ/s640/KT-Tunstall-006.jpg

It would have looked even better if they'd gone the whole way and put a black bird on the pickguard too.