How to play this position?

IslandapeIslandape Frets: 64
edited January 2014 in Technique
Hi all and happy new year :)

l wonder if I could ask everyone's opinion on something?  I have a disagreement with my teacher on how to play the natural minor position thus (starting on low E):

1, 3, 4
1, 3, 4
1, 3, 5
1, 3
1, 2, 4
1 (23, 4, etc)

The disagreement is over the D and G strings, I want to play as above, he suggests 1, 3 and then moving back a fret and playing 1, 2, 4.  It's a stretch, but I can play this scale more fluently my way than though his suggestion when doing anything other than scales.

He's a good player (and a nice bloke that doesn't post here so I feel safe not p*ssing him off by asking) but is my way wrong given that the change in position throws me off or should I keep practicing his way because his fingering is better for my technique in the long run?

Given the experience here I'll go with the consensus.

We're not at one with economy picking either but I'll leave that for another day!

(Edit due to viz spotting typo - thanks @viz)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2014
    Although there is no absolute right or wrong with scales, if you are talking about the minor scale in five positions (as opposed to the 7 three note per string positions), then his suggestion would be considered standard for position 3.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    I'd say learn both - in general this sort of thing occurs quite often with scale shapes, where there is the option of staying in position and stretching with the 4th (or sometimes the 1st) finger, or shifting up/down a positing, as your teacher prefers. I find there are different situations that might make either option preferable, so best to know, and be able to use both.
  • vizviz Frets: 10643
    edited January 2014
    Yes, for scales learn both because in real life you might want to stop halfway through the scale and be further up or down the fretboard depending on what comes next. In fact I'd also learn the 3 notes per string as well - 134, 134, 135, 135, 135, 124. But under normal circs, for playing Aeolian, I play your teacher's method not yours. (It's 134 at the end by the way).
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    Sometimes you'll find ways that will be more comfortable for you.  Although there's nothing wrong with your approach, it's probably best for you that you do as your tutor suggests and use your approaches outside of lessons.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3426
    Starting on F you mean?
    I've always played like your teacher told you, that's the traditional CAGED position. The other one will make me want to play the 3 nps position. Ultimately it's nice to know both.
    He's talking fingering not frets.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    I thought so too but what is a 5 then?
    Playing right now and it seems when going up the neck, i.e. going flat, I play 24 on the D string so...
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    You'll need to know both ways, and then some ;)

You'll be really limiting yourself if you pick one scale pattern and only play each note as it appears in that pattern.

Mechanical exercises are something else entirely...
    All practice and no theory

oh yes! Dunno! Combination of frets and fingers then (or thumb)?
  • Thanks guys, I'll learn both ways as suggested  :)
    viz said:

oh yes! Dunno! Combination of frets and fingers then (or thumb)?
    In Birmingham some of us get born with extra digits :D

More seriously, I'm talking frets and stretching the little finger to get the 5th.

Even more seriously, thanks everyone for the advice - I'll learn both ways as you all seem to be saying and not doubt my teacher.
    The way I learned had each position as including 6 frets like this:
    1-1-2-3-4-4
    So sooner or later you'll have to get the index going back a fret down anyway.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997

Learn the shapes that match the CAGED system ... 5 of them.

Then break out of the shapes by playing laterally along the length of the neck.