Fredric Effects boutique guitar pedals - news and updates

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27574
    Looks like it's held in position  rigidly by the switch and loosely by the pots, which seems a pretty sensible strategy to me.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Yep, that's it. 

Some people who use larger enclosures and don't have the pots mounted to the board use nylon standoffs, which looks pretty neat.
    tFB Trader

Just collected this enclosure prototype. CNC machined 1.2mm steel folded into a nice box. I'll be ordering a bunch when I verify the new PCBs fit. Nifty features include- all the holes being in exactly the right place, a square hole, and I can get these in any size and proportion I like. This one is MXR-sized, however. 

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    timhulio said:

Nifty features include- all the holes being in exactly the right place, 

That's not an insignificant achievement in my experience....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Seriously. Because I was outsourcing the drilling of enclosures, and no company I used was consistently getting this right (I was rejecting 5-10% of boxes before powder coating) this move to CNC'd enclosures will save money and the time I'd previously spent checking the drilled enclosures.
  • Another beautiful build.
    Is that silicone that you've applied to the foot switch contacts ,?
    What's the reasoning ?
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    timhulio said:
    Seriously. Because I was outsourcing the drilling of enclosures, and no company I used was consistently getting this right (I was rejecting 5-10% of boxes before powder coating) this move to CNC'd enclosures will save money and the time I'd previously spent checking the drilled enclosures.
    In my experience CNC is the only way to go with the metal work, and even then you are lucky to get it right first time.

• ASWASW Frets: 7
    Looks great - I bought a golden eagle from you last year and it's awesome.
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    A really interesting thread, thanks for posting.

• 1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Tee-hee! Well, they are pretty good.
  • Mind if I ask what millennium bypass is?

I really like the process. I like the board mounted pots and such, too, it's a really tidy and easy way of getting everything in place. Pedal parts kits offer it on some (but not all) models, and I remember wondering why you'd use anything but!
    tFB Trader
    Millennium Bypass was invented by RG Keen as an evolution of the bypass method found on some Rat pedals. It allows you to use a DPDT switch for true bypass with an LED indicator and only requires a few parts. There's a full history and explanation here:

When I switch to the new enclosures I've designed some new boards to use which have the jacks, footswitch, power filtering and bypass circuitry mounted to them, with an 8-pin header socket to attach to the effect board. That way the bypass/switch and effect boards are kept separate allowing me to use the same switch board for everything and just have the effect-specific stuff on the main board.
  • Thanks, have a wisdom. So it's (for all intents and purposes) true bypass.

Ooo that's smart.
    tFB Trader
    Into production!

Here's one of the 200 new enclosures I collected from the metal workshop today. There's 100 Harmonic Percs in metallic black, 50 Grumbly Wolves in white and 50 Unpleasant Companions in sun yellow. This shows how the new bypass boards will work (the boards are prototypes, hence the labels and hackery). I've designed switch/jack boards for true bypass, mil bypass and buffered bypass, which will be swappable across the range. They're joined to the effect board by header sockets.

tFB Trader
    New-style enclosures back from the printers! Now if those circuit boards would actually get here...

• Looking good!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Looking good!
    Indeed, a Golden Eagle is high on my GAS list. 
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Impressive what you're doing here Timhulio. I have to admit, since quitting my job a year and a bit ago I considered trying to make a go of building pedals for a living (have been doing it as a hobby for around 5 years), and decided against it for a lot of reasons. I'm really happy to see someone make a good go at it and doing it properly! Especially in the UK where it's REALLY difficult to do this sort of thing and make a living at it.

Good luck to you fella!
  • Excellent work!