10 Questions We Ask Everyone

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208

1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?

An EKO 6 string acoustic, handed down from my sister when I was about 15. I've still got it. 

2: The building’s burning down – what one guitar do you save? 
    Ohh... that's tough. Err..... I'd probably stand there and burn to death whilst trying to decide between my ancient Jim Reed PRS-alike that I've done so much work on and is a lovely instrument or my PRS Soapbar SE1 that sounds gorgeous but I could replace it fairly easily. 

3: What’s the oldest guitar that you own?
    Probably the EKO acoustic. I have no idea when it was made - 60s or 70s probably. 

4: And the next piece of gear you’d like to acquire?
    A good looper pedal.

5: What strings do you use?
    D'Addario XL120+ (9.5's)

6: If you could change one thing about a recording of yours, what would it be?
    Never really done any serious stuff - a few demos for the band but if pushed, I'd say to be able to do it all in one take rather than spend ages cutting and pasting the errors out later !

7: What are you doing five minutes before you go onstage?
    Your Mum.

Actually, I get on stage as soon as I can.  I tend to adjust to the stage fright better if I'm already up there !  I spend the five (no, actually it's probably twenty !) minutes before we start repeatedly tuning up.

8: ...And five minutes after?
    After getting up on stage or after coming off ?  If it's the latter, packing away asap !

9: What’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to you onstage?
    Starting the intro to Plug-In Baby on the wrong string in a packed pub.  It was sublime.  Like Les Dawson had come back from the grave and had learned guitar.  Every single note was wrong, but I couldn't stop !  The rest of the band missed their cue as they simply couldn't work out what the fuck I was playing !

10: What advice would you give your younger self about playing the guitar?
    Practice you twat.  You'll never be a good guitarist just by wanting to be.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147

A Satellite LP copy that someone had painted neon orange with leopard spots

1989 Burny LP.  It's that one guitar that just feels so comfortable, and sounds so 'right'.  I'll never get another like it.

1970's CMI Strat Copy.

Whatever is in the parts drawer... and whatever is on offer...

Nothing.  And I don't mean that in an arrogant way; you learn from your mistakes, so having an audible record of them slams that right into focus.

Getting excited about how well it's all going to go.

Getting the nerves I should have got before the gig.

The drummer was on speed, the guitarist was on weed and the bassist was thoroughly professional and kept it all together.  Meanwhile, I couldn't hear myself and ending up having no idea whether anything was in tune.  Knowing my voice, it probably wasn't.

Don't go to that guitar tutor.  He'll make you play Good King Wenclas and you'll get disillusioned and learn very badly on your own...
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    Body is 13405 characters too long.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited January 2014
    usedtobe said:  Body is 13405 characters too long.
    You need a post Xmas diet then m'boy...       ;)

maybe a little help form @digitalscream or @monquixote will help?   I have had similar issues too...  edit: usually with copy & paste.

Thanks! :)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    No worries, the diet advice is free...   ;)

For what it's worth, in another thread I think I got round this issue by selecting the whole of the "comment box" contents, copying it, (then deleting?) then pasting it back in in one go, then it worked OK IIRC.  Do save a draft first tho, just in case.

But it is an issue which needs looking into IMHO, with either a fix - or guidance on how to avoid it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?A 2nd hand acoustic when I was at junior school, cos I fancied being a pop star, and thought it would be easy. It wasn't, and I gave up until I was 18.

I'd like to save 3, ideally, all for their great sentimental value, but it would have to be the one my daughter bought me.

I don't, strictly speaking, own it, but I have in my possession, my wife's old classical from when she was a school. It was 2nd hand, then. 50's, maybe..? One I own: '83 Westone Thunder 1a, or unknown model/age Cort.

An old Ibanez Artist, Westone Prestige 250, or a Gibson SG. 

10's or 11's on electric - cheapest I can find. Roto or Martin 11's on acoustic - but have been known to use 12's.

There was this instrumental minor key bluesy thing, I recored once. Took me ages, cos I'm not really a lead player. I would have backed it up.

When I gigged I would be itching to get on with it.

Buzzing.

First ever gig. Fucked up just about every song in a (thankfully) short set, through nerves. Put me off playing live for a very long time, and off covers forever.

Stretch yourself. You need way more than those 5 chords!

• Hi!

A Hohner acoustic from the Argos catalogue, xmas '95. I've rarely encountered a more uncomfortable guitar to play.

My Gretsch DuoJet, not because its worth the most but because its lovely in every conceivable way.

A copy of a Dan Armstrong plexi from probably the late 70s. It may be an Ibanez but its been modded and chopped about so much over the years it's hard to tell. It's got an awesome fast neck, a monster of a Super-Distortion and weighs a tonne. I love it.

Im always searching for the perfect dirt pedal (but I should really get a board to put them on)

10s, usually rotosound

I'm a miserable sod who's never happy with anything I write or record so ... er... everything

gettign a pint and a water to have onstage or writing the setlist

If its gone well then cursing myself for not enjoying it more at the time, if its gone badly then cursing myself for all the mistakes

Lost a straplock mid-song and had to finsih the set sat down, wouldnt have been so bad but I was also the singer.

Practice more you lazy turd! Also - dont listen to the cork-sniffers, trust your own ears.
  • OK, I've got a couple of minutes to kill, so here's mine you nosey lot ;)

I had a ukulele when I was very young, but then I was mostly a woodwind player and didn't own a guitar until I was at university - it was a beaten up unknown make Les Paul copy I got for £20 in 1987.  It was my only guitar for about ten years.

Probably a 1980s Hondo HL5.  It's an excellent guitar, although not being valuable, and would be the most difficult to replace.

That Hondo HL5 - probably mid-80s. 

Probably an amp (I fancy an Orange of some sort) or possibly a pedal board (make or buy).

Ernie Ball Slinky 10 on electrics, d'Addario phosphor bronze things on acoustics at the mo I think.

I cringe at anything I've sung on - hate the sound of my own voice (and I'm not a good singer)
    Being soundman for the band before us. Or worrying about how drunk the rest of the band are.
    Being soundman for the band after us! - or packing up, depending on where we are on the bill.

Got a shock off a dodgy power socket in a pub once - luckily not a bad one, but scared me enough that I always carry a socket checker in my kit bag now.  Apart from that we always have a good time - we don't take ourselves too seriously.

Start earlier and have some lessons.  All my formal music lessons were on clarinet, so although I know the theory my guitar playing is self-taught from just playing around and probably full of terrible technique.  I blag it reasonably well, but I doubt I'll ever get much "better" technically and I sometimes wish I'd learnt "properly".
  • Hi!

A Hohner acoustic from the Argos catalogue, xmas '95. I've rarely encountered a more uncomfortable guitar to play.

My Gretsch DuoJet, not because its worth the most but because its lovely in every conceivable way.

A copy of a Dan Armstrong plexi from probably the late 70s. It may be an Ibanez but its been modded and chopped about so much over the years it's hard to tell. It's got an awesome fast neck, a monster of a Super-Distortion and weighs a tonne. I love it.

Im always searching for the perfect dirt pedal (but I should really get a board to put them on)

10s, usually rotosound

I'm a miserable sod who's never happy with anything I write or record so ... er... everything

gettign a pint and a water to have onstage or writing the setlist

If its gone well then cursing myself for not enjoying it more at the time, if its gone badly then cursing myself for all the mistakes

Lost a straplock mid-song and had to finsih the set sat down, wouldnt have been so bad but I was also the singer.

Practice more you lazy turd! Also - dont listen to the cork-sniffers, trust your own ears.
    Ayup. Any chance of a photo of the dan armstrong copy? Sounds brilliant
  • 1: What was your first guitar and when did you get it?
    A Rockster Ibanez copy (complete with Ibby shaped head and tick) in late 1995.

PRS Tremonti.

Gawd knows, there are too many.

Hughes & Kettner GrandMeister 36/TriAmp II and a PRS 513, maybe a Taylor GS Mini fitted with an LR Baggs Anthem SL.

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (PRS), EB Super Slinky (Strat).

Complete re-record.

Checking guitars are in tune.

Sweating.

Gig in a skittle alley mid December a few years ago, very cold outside, very warm inside, lots of condensation inside. I wanders back to my amp to fiddle with my knobs (I say...), on my way back to my mic, I skid on the skittle alley and end up flat on my back, guitar still in hand, and back up guitar on its way down too. I managed to catch both but ended up with paint off both guitars.

Practice a sh!t load more than you do...

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• LukeageLukeage Frets: 35
    edited January 2014
    My first electric was a Cruiser by Crafter Strat copy in a nice ‘burst. I got that I think Christmas 2003 so I would’ve been like 10/11? My first acoustic I got when I was probably 4 or 5. It was full-size, given to us by a family friend. I remember the inside of the guitar - the label said “Hot Spot”. Can’t trace that back any way so far. I don’t have either of these guitars anymore. 

2: The building’s burning down - what one guitar do you save?
    Such a mean question - probably my Cort MR710F acoustic (I would miss it! They only get better with age!) 

3: What’s the oldest guitar you own?
    An Epiphone Les Paul Studio that I got in 2004 I believe. 

I would love to own a 59 Les Paul VOS (in the guitar dept), a Marshall TSL head + 1x12” cab would be great, and I wouldn’t mind having a bigger board with a few more things to muck around with (wah pedal, volume, some boosts, change my OD/Dist pedals…) 

D’Addario - on both acoustic and electric. 

There’s one snare hit I never managed to stop from peaking on a recording of a cover of a Jack Johnson song and it still upsets me 5 years later.

Probably thinking “well I stuffed up that sound check didn’t I?!" 

8: …And five minutes after? 
    Thinking I want food and coffee among other things.

Dropped the guitar. Yep. 

Practice like they told you, you idiot, and dammit - do some more research!
  • dampoldmandampoldman Frets: 44
    edited January 2014

Squier affinity telecaster

Only own one due to relentless trading/swapping, so that one. A PRS SE Bernie Marsden. Beauty, she is.

See previous answer.

Realistically, either an Orange TH30 (again) or a TC Nova System. Ideally, a Mesa Mark V and a proper Gold Top LP.

11s

Guitar sound on our last EP. Got a bit giddy at having loads of amps to try out at the studio and used a sound which I'm not particularly keen on. Was good fun, mind. Routed the pre-amp section of my Dark Terror through the (KT88) output section of a Hiwatt...

Stretching my fingers and trying to enjoy the nerves!

Buzzing

Jelly arm! - We do (or did) a lot of gallopy/thrash picking and, having not warmed up properly, my picking arm turned to jelly at one particular gig which meant many a wobbly riff...

SLOW THE F*&K DOWN WHEN YOU'RE PRACTISING!!

• Fun thread :-)

Hondo 11 acoustic. 1981.

My white telecaster.

Hondo 11 acoustic. Now with artwork on the top and set up as a lap steel.

Les Paul Gold Top 1965 (would settle for reissue ;-) )

Rotosound roto yellows on electrics, Newtone Master class 12's on acoustic.

Nothing. Recording captures the band at the moment. Songs evlove and change. Rather than go back and change something on the recording, I'd rather the band re-recorded the whole song.

Waiting to go onstage.

Ordering a pint of Guiness.

I was in a prog cover band and playing the first chord of Brightness Falls (Sylvian, Fripp) I realised the guitar was horribly out of tune. Had to stop, apologise, tune up and restart. 

Don't compare yourself to other guitarists.

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673

Yamaha FG345 acoustic, 1983 (still got it)

My Ltd Ed Custom Shop Relic '60 Strat

1967 Gibson ES335

Boogie MKIII

D'Addario 10-46

Take your time and be happy with your takes and ignore the singer insisting that it's time do his vocals, "You done a good take, leave it at that"

Having a rollup outside.

See above

I was electrocuted by my vintage Vox AC15

Play more, life passes in the blink of an eye.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2014
    @ No. 9 - Crikey!

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    Turns out I've never answered these, so here goes..! 

Squier Standard Stratocaster, Christmas 2000. Still have it, and after 4 necks, 4 pickguards, 3 bridges, 5 sets of pickups etc etc it's still in regular use :) 

Tough one. I have 4 that are irreplacable, but I guess I'd pick my custom Cabronita or Gibson CS-336 

Either that first 2000 Strat or my 2000 SG, whichever was made first! 

Hoping to get something special for my 30th this year. Candidates to try are R7, ES-390, DGT, Firebird, Hummingbird, D28, 000. With any luck I'll find a nice big guitar shop and go home with whichever speaks to me. 

Elixirs all round. 9s and 10s on electric, 12s on acoustic. 

Boxy tone on most of my recordings from my old originals band. Just mixing an extra room mic would've fixed it. 

Tuning, quick drink, checking my setlist capo/key notes are all correct! 

Getting guitars safely away from drunk punters... 

Not that bad, but very odd. Gig in a pub in Erith, Kent (where Eastenders violence meets the real world..!). I'm mid-song with the band, squeezed in a small corner, when a chap squeezes past between me and the speaker stack to get to a hook to hang his coat, about 18 inches from my right arm. He then spends the next hour as if I have done something wrong, then proceeds to repeat the same procedure to get his coat, before going outside and starting a fight. I don't think he was all there...! 

Trust your instincts. Strats are actually ok. Don't sell that SG. Or that Jazzmaster.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    ossyrocks said:
    I was electrocuted by my vintage Vox AC15
    You weren't.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581

Might as well join in, even though most know me, to kill some time :)

Encore 3/4 size "nylon" strung guitar from Argos :)

The 40th Anniversary Strat ... my first "proper" guitar

The Encore ... still got it :)

Should be getting a DBZ Bolero EX

Elixir 11s on all electrics.  Various makes of 13s on the Lowden.

The solos ... on all of them ... never, EVER happy regardless of how well they turn out :)

Having a wank .... no, wait, that's not right :)  Usually tuning up, again ...

Having a wank .... no, wait, that's still not right :)  Usually still packing up ...

I fell off the fucking thing ...

If you learn modes now, while you're brain is pliable, it'll be a lot less fucking painful.  Oh ... and start on Telecasters EARLIER, they are much better than you think.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    Bezzer said:

10: What advice would you give your younger self 

dont stand so close to boxer pups for too long

:D :D :D
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.