What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Does Terry Morgan do a 'replica'?
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Does Terry Morgan do a 'replica'?
    I nearly asked that Richard but though better of it but will give you a LOL - actually I nearly posted it as 'is there a TM version' so it could be Tom Murphy or Terry Morgan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    The have done some good new models though - usually the ones that cleverly blend tradition with innovation, like the ES336/339, and the 275. Or ones that offer classic designs but in a more stripped-down modern form like the Explorer Studio or whatever it was called.

It's just that every now and again they release something which looks like it's trying really hard to alienate as many Gibson fans as possible.

To be fair, nothing will ever trump the Firebird X though.
    Firebird X is the one isn't it - someone had to spend a lot of money designing and developing that - then when it was launched to the trade we were all called a bunch of Luddites if we did not buy one - I bet even @HarrySeven does not have one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Guitarists really are conservative huh?

When you look at the sheer range of basses available - particularly 'modern' styled - that get a lot of praise, and usage it does starkly contrast with what guitarists will accept.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader

Hmm...  Id have to play one to really tell but it looks so so...  Depends on what sort of price range it may be going at, if they ever make it that far...

I prefer the other prototype they showed a few years back,  Much more interesting...

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/_VJR2257_jpg_zpsfc87bf85.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/_VJR2284_jpg_zps0f81dccd.jpg

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/_VJR2289_jpg_zps105c461b.jpg

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    edited January 2017
    Rabs said:
    all that contouring and yet they still left it with a nearly full size heel.  as always with new gibsons, its nearly, but not quite there

I dd like the N-225 a few years back but the trem choice always seemed really odd

anyway, back to the original guitars.  I kinda see what they are going for because i once made a  gbson Custom/PRS hybrid  and i think the designs work really well together

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    WezV said:

I kinda see what they are going for because i once made a  gbson Custom/PRS hybrid  and i think the designs work really well together

That, right there, is the proof that Gibson don't have a clue what they're doing and that if they do accidentally produce something decent it's just because enough monkeys and enough typewriters will eventually produce literature.

Whereas others can just write.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

tFB Trader
    WezV said:

I dd like the N-225 a few years back but the trem choice always seemed really odd

anyway, back to the original guitars.  I kinda see what they are going for because i once made a  gbson Custom/PRS hybrid  and i think the designs work really well together

Yeah that 225 thingy..  Very marmite and the pin stripe version even more so...  The natural one is less in your face...

And that black double cut is awesome..  To me that's pretty much the perfect shape.... The thing is Gibson got it right with the Double Cut which was like the late 50s....  They also sometimes do a double cut standard which I also really like....

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    You're a fucking dour bunch :-) 

Red ones are better. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

The thing is Gibson got it right with the Double Cut which was like the late 50s....  They also sometimes do a double cut standard which I also really like....

I think you are right in that the DC Standard was not a bad guitar and to a degree their shape - Yet they only really introduced it after Hamer released the Studio Custom and before that the Hamer Sunburst - and remember this design was the original thought plan for PRS
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Incredibly incredibly dull 

AKA Gibson.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited January 2017
    Rabs said:
     The thing is Gibson got it right with the Double Cut which was like the late 50s....  They also sometimes do a double cut standard which I also really like....
    Why? will they not produce a standard USA line of the original shaped DC Junior/Special, gloss nitro finish and 50's neck. They'd sell!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    edited January 2017
    Found this

And a mention for TheFB here
    https://www.gearnews.com/new-gibsons-guitar-model-ces-show/

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Rabs said:

I think you are right in that the DC Standard was not a bad guitar and to a degree their shape - Yet they only really introduced it after Hamer released the Studio Custom and before that the Hamer Sunburst - and remember this design was the original thought plan for PRS
    The DCs were nice looking guitars, but again they had a 24 fret board with inaccessible top two frets.  I prefer the more recent version with 22 frets and redesigned cutaways, presumably to allow for a stronger neck joint.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    edited January 2017
     I bet even @HarrySeven does not have one
    No...but it's on my Wants list!

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Doug said:
    Rabs said:
    Why? will they not produce a standard USA line of the original shaped DC Junior/Special, gloss nitro finish and 50's neck. They'd sell!

Lol..   Why Gibson do what they do...  Only they know...  They have made some very strange decisions over the last few years.. Let alone who ever it is that comes up with the names for the models need s a good slap  :)
    tFB Trader
    Doug said:
    Rabs said:

I just spotted this in that line up posted above...  Looks very much like an old school DC..  Im sure more details will come soon enough (probably at NAMM)

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r588/Rabs2010/c83lvxxxxZL_zpskubpbp34.jpg

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    22 fret access, with 24 frets. Nice...

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Yep, the top two frets would bug me. Also the cutaways look weird - the horns are too fat.

I approve of the general idea of Gibson making a more modern-styled 24-fret guitar though. Especially with a redesigned headstock.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Looks like a wolfgang 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom