follow on from TINNITUS thread - the which earplugs thread

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
ok guys - so to avoid hearing loss from daft drummers, which earplugs are recommended - not just the v expensive but also the less expensive

ta

nick

reason being is that i was v close to our drummer in last gig and had ringing ears the next day!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've used the Elacin ER20's (think thats right???) for donkeys years. They work just fine. They are "stepped" so you can gauge how for into your ear you have them.
    I usually have one right in and leave the other side slightly lose, maybe swap sides at half time. You can grab them for about 15 quid and they last forever.  
    How very rock and roll
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited January 2014
    ACS Pro 17 user here. I'd like a set of 15 filters too, mostly for watching live bands but the 17s were fine for playing with my last lot. Mega comfy and there's nothing nicer than non-ringing ears for the post-gig drive home :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2014
    ACS are the guys to see. I use their custom moulds ER-15, before that the one size fits all ER-20. They also do the Pro series which is newer design (they didn't do those when I got mine). Decent custom moulds really are worth every penny. I use mine at every gig or rehearsal I play, and every loud gig I go too. http://www.acscustom.com/uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=110
  • +1

Best bit of kit I ever bought.
  • Elacin... the off-the-shelf ones you can get for £12 to £15 pound.  Wear them every rehearsal, every gig... and when I go to see a gig.
  • You mention you had ringing in your ears the next day.  A doctor once told me, every time you do that... you're a step closer to making it a permanent problem (so it's sort of cumulative).  Not sure if that's totally accurate - but I think it pays to be a bit cautious.  I know if I could turn the clock back, I'd start wearing earplugs when I was a lot younger... now I just wear them to try to prevent the tinnitus getting any worse.

• If you're gigging/rehearsing regularly then it's well worth investing £120 or so on some custom moulded plugs wether they be ACS or pro guards. One of my ears is pretty wrecked now from crash cymbalitis and I have some mild tinnitus and when things start getting loud, I get some vibration inside the ear which is worrying and irritating. I've got pro guard 17's, you do loose some of the higher frequencies with them but generally they're pretty good and there's no ringy ear holes after a gig.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    I use ER20 but I'd love a set of proper molded ones.

Which to go for though? ACS 15 or 17?
    I'd go 17 for pub gigs, but you can just buy different filters and swap them depending on the situation.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553
    Moulded ones really are the only way to go....used er20s for ages but there is night and day between them and the moulded er15/pro 17s
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    I see they do fittings at my local Boots and the HQ is only 40mins away from me!

Where did you guys get the fitting done?
    I work on the same industrial park as the HQ in Banbury. dead easy for me.
  • What are the main advantages of the moulded ones versus the off the shelf ones?

What are the main advantages of the moulded ones versus the off the shelf ones?

A perfect fit so they're comfy to wear for hours, and makes sure all the sounds are going through the filters. The filters are also a better design so you get a near flat attenuation rather than blocking out highs more than lows. Just a better bit of kit all round.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Got to go moulded ER15 really - best 100-ish quid you can spend on guitar gear :)

They make everything sound the same, just quieter...unlike the off the shelf ones which I found made everything sound weird.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I use ER20s 

Would like a pair of mouldeds though.
  • I use alpine music safe pros. They fit me quite well and come with 3 filter strengths and a keyring carry case.

Previously I was using ER20s and before that the simple rubber pair of hearos, but I've lost those. I should get some moulded ones but the alpines are serving me well currently.
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1553

What are the main advantages of the moulded ones versus the off the shelf ones?

Better sound response and comfort. The first time I put them in I thought they werent working properly so clear & natural is the sound...but they really do a great job of protecting you from the loud stuff. The moulded fit is not only more comfortable but it also means they don't move around as the non moulded options tend to do so no loudness sneaks in and everything is better balanced. I use now PRO 17s and have a backup set of ER25 for the super loud protection.
  • What are the main advantages of the moulded ones versus the off the shelf ones?

A perfect fit so they're comfy to wear for hours, and makes sure all the sounds are going through the filters. The filters are also a better design so you get a near flat attenuation rather than blocking out highs more than lows. Just a better bit of kit all round.
    ^ This. Plus you can get different grades of insert for more or less attenuation. Mine are I think 15dB but the told me I could get 20dB if I wanted it. However the 15dB is fine.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I use alpine music safe pros. They fit me quite well and come with 3 filter strengths and a keyring carry case.

Previously I was using ER20s and before that the simple rubber pair of hearos, but I've lost those. I should get some moulded ones but the alpines are serving me well currently.
    Another Alpine user here, but if the new band takes off I might get some moulded ones before it's finally too late.