What volume pedal

lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I am wanting to buy a volume pedal to go with my pedal board. My board is used for both electric and acoustic guitar. I have heard great things about the Ernie Ball VP Jr but I understand it comes in two different forms - one for active, one for passive pickups. I obviously don't want to buy two so what would you recommend as a good multi-guitar volume pedal? 

Is the Boss FV500H any good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    The EB is very solid, but you can't set max and min volumes which is annoying. 

• I use the Dunlop DVP-1.  It is massive (bigger than a crybaby wah) and doesn't set max/min volumes.  However because of its size and large sweep I find it very easy to use.  It feels very sturdy to me.  I only use passive guitars and my volume pedal is my last pedal before going in to the front of the amp.  My pedals before it are buffered, not because I) wanted buffered or not just because those are the pedals I'm using (TU3, Decimator Route 66, SD1).  No idea if this is 'correct' but it works for what I'm doing.
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Little Alligator, built like a .... well an alligator. has min vol setting but not max.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I'm not too fussed by the min/max volume setting. The main priority is that it will work with an electro/acoustic and an electric.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Personally, I like the old Schaller pedal- the size of a wah but much lighter. 
    You can usually pick them up on ebay quite cheaply, although to get zero volume, you need to remove a pair of stubs at the heel end (it's designed as a swell pedal). This is quite easy as it's made of plastic!

Otherwise the Boss FV50H is good and has a slightly smaller footprint than the 500.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    edited January 2014
    I have an EB 6167 for sale. I went through every option on this until I asked pete cornish for his thoughts; he told me the 6167, although primarilly a keyboard vol pedal, was by far the best option and least tone sucking of the lot.

I tend to believe what he says. I'm selling it as no room on pedalboard, and I am being brutal on what goes and stays.

I have it for sale- £65 shipped if you want it, in v v good nick.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Is 25ohm ok for both electric and acoustic?
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Min setting is really useful because they you can use it to oscillate between rhythm and solo levels for example.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Is 25ohm ok for both electric and acoustic?
    Yes think so

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    edited January 2014
    No - not if it's going directly after the electric guitar. 25/50K will only work with actives (eg electro-acoustic or after a buffered pedal).

You need high impedance (250K minimum, or 500K better) for directly after a passive guitar. It will work will actives as well, but the taper may be a bit steep.

So if you only want to buy one, get a 500K unless you will always be running it after a buffered pedal.

I like the Boss FV500H, although it seems to get knocked largely (I think) because it's Boss - it's well-made, has a nice travel, a minimum volume setting and is easy to maintain if it needs it. The Ernie Ball has become something of an industry standard but I honestly don't think it's as good. No minimum setting, the heel-down position is uncomfortably steep for me, and it's a complete and utter pig to work on.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    ICBM said:
    the heel-down position is uncomfortably steep for me, and it's a complete and utter pig to work on.
    Yes- it always looks like it needs to be jacked-up in order to use comfortably- especially if it's on a pedalboard with a raised edge.
  • And the Boss 500H will be ok for both acoustic and electric (would be first in my chain/second after tuner)
    And the Boss 500H will be ok for both acoustic and electric (would be first in my chain/second after tuner)
    What's the tuner? If it's a Boss or other buffered one you might be better with the 500L. If it's not, or there's any chance you would use it without the tuner, get the H.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    ICBM said:
    No - not if it's going directly after the electric guitar. 25/50K will only work with actives (eg electro-acoustic or after a buffered pedal).

Does that mean my 25k will still work as a Volume if after klon or hotcake (my usual buffered pedals)? Didn't know that was an option!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Does that mean my 25k will still work as a Volume if after klon or hotcake (my usual buffered pedals)? Didn't know that was an option!
    Yes.

Basically the problem is that a 25-50K pedal will suck tone, simply by being too low an impedance for the pickups to drive, unless there's a buffer in front of it.

• ICBM said:
    And the Boss 500H will be ok for both acoustic and electric (would be first in my chain/second after tuner)
    What's the tuner? If it's a Boss or other buffered one you might be better with the 500L. If it's not, or there's any chance you would use it without the tuner, get the H.
    It's the TC Polytune
    It's the TC Polytune
    In that case you do need the H - the tuner is true bypass.

• Good stuff - one going cheap (I think) on ebay so hopeful on that one.
  • The Boss 500H went for a higher price than I wanted. Do other volume pedals (other than the 500H) work fine with electro/acoustics and electrics?
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Of the 2 Boss ones I'd get the plastic one...cos its lighter (lots!) and its stronger! Really!! The little hinge joints on the metal one break easily.....i still have my broken one. Someone that could weld it could easily fix it tho. The plastic one has no such flimsy joint. You'll never break the mechanism on the plastic one and as its lighter and otherwise the same pedal why get the metal one? Opposite way to how you might naturally think I know!