Reidys says "no more rosewood" from Fender on *most* models

What's Hot

Comments

• Probably just applies to the USA models that they secretly make in Mexico, where they filmed the moon landings.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited April 2017
    Probably just applies to the USA models that they secretly make in Mexico, where they filmed the moon landings.
    Spot on.  We're switching to "moon rock" fretboards.  Hand crafted in zero gravity, tone for days etc. 

On a more serious note, there are a lot of challenges with rosewood this year. We will be looking to use other woods where appropriate but won't be stopping all together.  
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I think the industry should move towards things like Rocklite. It's a better substitute than just using maple, I think fretboard wood is for most people a cosmetic thing rather than them thinking it changes the tone.

But with all this new regulation coming in, the guitar industry is going to have to change very quickly. How long until someone decides to add Mahogany to CITES, and when will the EU decide to ban Valves for being inefficient?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    As the years pass I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get good wood. 

Im not sure what this has to do with CITES tho???
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    If the Wood Database is correct, Pau Ferro is "vulnerable", so don't go pinning your hopes on Pau Ferro to replace Rosewood.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/restricted-and-endangered-wood-species/
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    But with all this new regulation coming in, the guitar industry is going to have to change very quickly. How long until someone decides to add Mahogany to CITES, and when will the EU decide to ban Valves for being inefficient?
    Honduran Mahogany is on Appendix II of CITES. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    I think baked maple is probably the way forward as a rosewood substitute, and Richlite for ebony.

I agree to an extent about the guitar industry not being the worst problem in terms of the bulk of the use, but in fact guitar manufacture is horrendously wasteful terms of the proportion of the wood which ends up in the finished product too, so I'm not convinced an exemption would be justified - although I'm equally not convinced that banning it all is the right way either, as already said.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446

when will the EU decide to ban Valves for being inefficient?
    Given that we'll be outside, we'll be able to take all their valve amps off their hands for peanuts.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    crunchman said:

when will the EU decide to ban Valves for being inefficient?
    Given that we'll be outside, we'll be able to take all their valve amps off their hands for peanuts.

Being outside or in isn't the issue, it pretty much means that a huge market will be shut off and some manufacturers will stop producing them. And with the trend of the US copying everything Europe does, soon there will be no market at all.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Why isn't the guitar industry using PR to make the public aware of this mess? I don't get it. I'm sure CITES & various authorities would be more efficient if they got called out for hampering trade???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    As someone living somewhere with no good guitar shops this is more than a bit annoying as anything I buy I'd have to import.  
    I guess the next stuff I hanker for will have to have maple or ebony boards then! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    As someone living somewhere with no good guitar shops this is more than a bit annoying as anything I buy I'd have to import.  
    I guess the next stuff I hanker for will have to have maple or ebony boards then! 
    Ref a guitar with rosewood - you can actual travel/fly from the UK to the Middle East with a guitar that is yours - but any dealer sending it via a courier would need additional paperwork from CITES - can take 2-4 weeks to arrive and cost a bit extra - can't recall export licence but around £40-60
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Ref a guitar with rosewood - you can actual travel/fly from the UK to the Middle East with a guitar that is yours - but any dealer sending it via a courier would need additional paperwork from CITES - can take 2-4 weeks to arrive and cost a bit extra - can't recall export licence but around £40-60
    Cheers. That was my understanding. So if buying anything high-end it's not a dealbreaker it anything sub-1k it starts becoming a bigger chunk of the cost.

FWIW Coda recently quoted me £59 for the paperwork, which isn't remotely unreasonable, but obviously factors into any buying decision. 

So so the answer is to buy really expensive guitars so the cost becomes insignificant, or make sure I buy in person on trips home ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    It's the £59 plus the time too. Read recently about a guy in the US who bought something from Wildwire - Wildwire got the paperwork but it was almost a month before it could even be shipped. 
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited April 2017 tFB Trader
    I was told by APHA that it takes about 15 days for the import license to be processed, however you have to have the export license to apply, so you are also waiting for the processing time on that. One of my suppliers has said it's about the same for them, so you're looking at at least a month lead time for shipping, not taking into account whatever hold-up there may be in clearing customs along the way.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Hi 
    I think its early days and as much as I think its a sledge hammer piece of implementation. 

Having worked in an industry where everything was pretty much Cites based it will all shake down. 

Reidy are just trying to cash in

Fender are trying to get themselves a bit of a green halo and keep there cost base as low as possible. 

The current backlog of product and delays and everything being hand inspected will die away once the procedures are in line and suppliers have trusted status and ship by the rules. 

12-18 months from now it will all be part of doing business

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited May 2017
    Well, I think I have all the guitars I need and I tend to buy pre-owned gear anyway, so if new guitars don't come with rosewood or ebony fingerboards I doubt I'm going to be directly impacted.  But I wonder if all this means that the value of rosewood & ebony board guitars will increase on the used market?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Ebony is fine, it's not restricted yet - as the Anderton's post I linked to confirms, the Fender American Elite series will be switching *to* ebony instead of RW.

As far as the value of rosewood, it's hard to say - the supply is suddenly a little more constrained, but at the same time the market is more limited unless you are able/willing to do the additional paperwork required to import/export. Especially if/when we leave the EU. No more selling rosewood-laden guitars overseas without additional time and expense, which limits the buyer pool somewhat.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Voxman said:
    Well, I think I have all the guitars I need and I tend to buy pre-owned gear anyway, so if new guitars don't come with rosewood or ebony fingerboards I doubt I'm going to be directly impacted.  But I wonder if all this means that the value of rosewood & ebony board guitars will increase on the used market?
    They could be harder to sell if the regulations tighten further