Edwin Wilson has left Gibson Custom Shop

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
edited May 2017 in Guitar tFB Trader
Following @RandallFlagg 's post - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/101498/anyone-know-whats-happening-at-gibson-custom-with-regards-the-reissues#latest - an update 

Interesting comments from a couple of guys who are well connected within the trade at the Bristol Guitar Show that Edwin Wilson and Gibson have parted company - To those who don't know, but Edwin effectively ran the Custom Shop division from day one - there is this link on the LP forum, but I've not got time to read 24 pages http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/threads/what-is-going-on-at-gibson.387170/ - I've not seen any press release from Gibson, but I suspect it would be heavily distorted and one sided

As a side note remember it was not to long ago that Fender and Mike Eldred parted company within the Custom Shop team and if anything, the C/Shop division has improved and 2016 was their best year yet regarding sales/production - Although Mike was not part of the team in the early days - Whereas Edwin was effectively Mr Custom Shop from day one
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    If you put a Pre-Historic Gibson Les Paul next to a Historic Les Paul, and then examine them both very carefully, you may come to the conclusion that the materials and the build quality of a Custom Shop guitar was better before there was a seperate Custom Shop.

Of course.....after that we would have to discuss "accuracy".
    What does accuracy mean?
    The trapezoid inlays on a 1993 to 2011 Gibson Historic are made from (poor quality) plectrum material. That wasn't very accurate.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    If you follow Richard Henry on Instagram, he says a major Gibson dealer has told him there will be no more historics from Gibson Custom!

I'm hanging on to mine now, who knows where it will go in the future.

Rob
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    @Ossyrocks My pal is head of Gibson Custom Shop Europe and talking to him, I dont think it's as cut and dried as that but there are some changes ahead apparently.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    So @miserneil, what are the chances of them knocking out some vintage spec Les Paul Juniors which don't cost 4K? That itch isn't going away anytime soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26748
    I have to say if they start blowing out CS Rx Les Pauls on Amazon I'll be first in line!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Skipped said:
    If you put a Pre-Historic Gibson Les Paul next to a Historic Les Paul, and then examine them both very carefully, you may come to the conclusion that the materials and the build quality of a Custom Shop guitar was better before there was a seperate Custom Shop.

Crikey!
    They've been around a lot longer than I realised.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • miserneil said:
    @Ossyrocks My pal is head of Gibson Custom Shop Europe and talking to him, I dont think it's as cut and dried as that but there are some changes ahead apparently.
    As of the time that Edwin was sacked, mark that as the end of my patronage of Gibson on an on-going basis...I will not buy a single thing from Gibson from that date forward. They can stick their plans, along with their guitars up their arse. 

There used to be a Guitar company there....

Anyone got Nik Huber's phone number? 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    SidNewton said:
    So @miserneil, what are the chances of them knocking out some vintage spec Les Paul Juniors which don't cost 4K? That itch isn't going away anytime soon.
    Very slim I would say.....but I dare say I could help you with that, drop me a PM if interested ;)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    miserneil said:
    As of the time that Edwin was sacked, mark that as the end of my patronage of Gibson on an on-going basis...I will not buy a single thing from Gibson from that date forward. They can stick their plans, along with their guitars up their arse. 

... but what about the "supertrue historic true superhistoric true beter than the last historic true historic " range of guitars thatl be comig soon paul? :)
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    edited May 2017
    miserneil said:
    SidNewton said:
    Very slim I would say.....but I dare say I could help you with that, drop me a PM if interested
    Pm'd Neil.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I've never owned a Gibson.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited May 2017
    So if they're (possibly) not going to do Historics what are they going to do?  Will Gibson Custom become an actual made-to-order custom shop?  Or will it just produce random things for collectors like an upmarket version of the old Guitar Of The Week?
  • stuagu said:
    miserneil said:

... but what about the "supertrue historic true superhistoric true beter than the last historic true historic " range of guitars thatl be comig soon paul? :)
    Bugger, forgot about them..

Right, after the superhistoric,true, betterthanthelasttruehistoric range...I'm done....out.

I'm going to PRS...I've got an ironing board, so I'm already half way there...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Philly_Q said:
    Will Gibson Custom become an actual made-to-order custom shop?  
    This is indeed what I've heard from a couple UK sources. 
  • Whitecat said:
    Philly_Q said:
    yes.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Whitecat said:
    Philly_Q said:
    yes.
    Will they still make guitars for stock?  I wouldn't want to put down that kind of money on something I couldn't try first.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    crunchman said:

Will they still make guitars for stock?  I wouldn't want to put down that kind of money on something I couldn't try first.
    A bit like the Fender Custom Shop, I guess dealers will spec their own runs for stock.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    crunchman said:

A bit like the Fender Custom Shop, I guess dealers will spec their own runs for stock.
    Obviously details to follow but I would imagine appropriate dealers will have a stock of a few 'popular' custom ideas - Regarding Fender Custom Shop, I find that 1 in 30 sales are actual customer orders in that they totally spec the guitar and weight 6 months for it to arrive - 29 out of 30 buy something from stock - No dealer can cover all options but having a good selection in stock like Coda, Peach and myself (plus others) ensures a good selection for you to check out - I dare say Gibson will adopt a similar option - Will have to see what you can actually select regarding fret size, neck profile amongst other option - My main choice would be 6100 or 6150 frets over the binding, so no nibs (otherwise a good 59 would be okay)
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    guitars4you said:

My main choice would be 6100 or 6150 frets over the binding, so no nibs
    No nibs? Good luck with selling that concept to the cork sniffers!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14030
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    guitars4you said:

My main choice would be 6100 or 6150 frets over the binding, so no nibs
    No nibs? Good luck with selling that concept to the cork sniffers!
    just an option I personally  like on LP's - many good refrets that I've seen, that have been done this way play better than the 'rail track' frets that so many Gibson's use - IMO - I've a Joe B 335 like that and I recall some Joe B LP's are like this as well

Plus if they are only going to buy 'cork sniffer' models then why bother having Custom options