Edwin Wilson has left Gibson Custom Shop

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    guitars4you said:

just an option I personally  like on LP's
    I like it as well - I'm not fussed about nibs personally.
    Plus if they are only going to buy 'cork sniffer' models then why bother having Custom options
    Yeah, you'd think that Gibson know their market. Oh, wait...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    Plus if they are only going to buy 'cork sniffer' models then why bother having Custom options
    Yeah, you'd think that Gibson know their market. Oh, wait...
    it will interesting so see what options they come up with - I suppose the Meccano hot rod nature of a Strat means they are so suitable and adaptable to so many options - I see Gibson mainly offering neck profile, pick up choice and colour options but unsure how much beyond this they will go if a base model is vintage
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Brize said:
    guitars4you said:

My main choice would be 6100 or 6150 frets over the binding, so no nibs
    No nibs? Good luck with selling that concept to the cork sniffers!
    just an option I personally  like on LP's - many good refrets that I've seen, that have been done this way play better than the 'rail track' frets that so many Gibson's use - IMO - I've a Joe B 335 like that and I recall some Joe B LP's are like this as well

Completely agree fret over binding means I don't have to adjust my technique to not pull the high e off the fret
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited May 2017
    Edwin Wilson and the Gibson Custom Shop sounds like a classic Motown band.

Anyhoo, perhaps they're head hunting some well-known replica makers who manage more accuracy as a solo enterprise?

How long before someone says...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    His old stuff was better IMHO

War is an amazing song. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Rox said:
    Edwin Wilson and the Gibson Custom Shop sounds like a classic Motown band.

Anyhoo, perhaps they're head hunting some well-known replica makers who manage more accuracy as a solo enterprise?

How long before someone says...
    M D Phillips.
    There, I've said it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Slightly off-topic I played an R7 today, from around 2006. Given that I'm not a Les Paul player, or much of a fan of the modern Gibson company, I was amazed to find I absolutely loved it.

Sensible weight - so it balanced nicely, great neck profile, lovely playability - and sounded great. Played it back to back with a used Standard fitted with Throbaks - it wiped the floor with it.

Would happily have bought it, if I had the cash....
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Brize said:
    crunchman said:

Will they still make guitars for stock?  I wouldn't want to put down that kind of money on something I couldn't try first.
    A bit like the Fender Custom Shop, I guess dealers will spec their own runs for stock.
    Obviously details to follow but I would imagine appropriate dealers will have a stock of a few 'popular' custom ideas - Regarding Fender Custom Shop, I find that 1 in 30 sales are actual customer orders in that they totally spec the guitar and weight 6 months for it to arrive - 29 out of 30 buy something from stock - No dealer can cover all options but having a good selection in stock like Coda, Peach and myself (plus others) ensures a good selection for you to check out - I dare say Gibson will adopt a similar option - Will have to see what you can actually select regarding fret size, neck profile amongst other option - My main choice would be 6100 or 6150 frets over the binding, so no nibs (otherwise a good 59 would be okay)
    Finally a dealer who talks about fret size. Yaaaaaay!!!