SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Jam partners/band buddies. Dorking Surrey.

What's Hot
pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
edited April 2018 in Personnel
Anyone?

Been playing 3 months, can struggle through Wish You Were Here, Sharp Dressed Man. But I don't care what we play, teach me something if u want, or I can strum along in rhythm for better players.

Am in Dorking, have transport (but also family and business!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IF you can get down to Crawley on a Tuesday night, then you might want to check out the '12 bar workshop' at Northgate Community Centre.  It's been going for many years and although the name suggests it's blues based,  all sorts of things get played, including a bit of Floyd occasionally.

It's very relaxed and new people are always welcomed. The standard of most of the players is generally beginners up to intermediate players. If you want to dip your toe into playing with others, it's a really good way to do it.

Occasionally there are guest players that come in and show how it should be done. 

I don't go that often any more as it clashes with my band's rehersal but I do like to get down there every so often.  I think @HAL9000 goes fairly frequently and will probably be able to also give you a heads up on what it's all about.

The clientelle is generally getting on a bit these days but it's very friendly.

Doors open at 7.30pm and the main playing goes from about 8 - 9.45pm

It's how I started my first forays into jamming with others and now I'm gigging regularly.

BTW The bass player in my band is from Dorking, I'll asking him about any jam nights there that he knows about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Thanks Fred, will get over there when I can.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    edited March 2017

The clientelle is generally getting on a bit...
    Oi! I resent that.

Seriously though, it's good fun and a chance to meet and play with others. Pretty much what @Flanging_Fred says - if you can strum a few chords you'll get by and will certainly pick stuff up from others. They're a friendly bunch and there's quite a mixture of abilities so you should fit in easily enough.

I should be there Tuesday coming, standing behind a black Strat, so come and say hello if you get there. (After that my shifts make the next few weeks rather less certain.)

One other thing is that Northgate Community Centre is one of a few halls very close together, so if you turn up to a ballet class or a JWs' meeting it's not necessarily that you've got the date wrong - you just need to try a different building.

Finally, it can get quite loud so ampwise you'll probably need at least 10-15W valve, or 30W or so solid state. If you don't have that I could bring along a spare amp if you PM me beforehand.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thx Hal. I generally have childcare on Tuesdays but I'll come sometime if I can wriggle out of it. Sounds like what I need.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    tFB Trader
    That sounds exactly like what I need to start getting a bit more into playing with others 

Can anyone turn up?
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    bump. still here. still strumming and fumbling!
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    edited May 2017
    That sounds exactly like what I need to start getting a bit more into playing with others 

Can anyone turn up?
    @customkitsSorry, I missed this. Yes they can.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited April 2018
    Bump.

Wow that was a year ago.

I can play a few more songs badly now and have even  "knocked out a couple" in front of an audience.