octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
A mate of mine has one. What do you say? "How did you two kids meet?"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Right now I'd say, "has she got a sister?"
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I saw this gorgeous Thai girl at the beech. All I could think was "for fuck 's sake don't get an erection." Sadly she did :-(...
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    A friend of an old boss got a Thai bride... he looked quite a lot like Gonzo from The Muppets so I can say that Thai bridge websites do a valuable service to a subsection of humanity. And by crikey could she cook good food!
    I should probably be offended about the feminist issue of buying women... 

But the women want to come to the UK and to have a better life... if that means using sex to make that happen... then maybe its the women exploiting the men... certainly it's a grey issue
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    why can't I LOL and Facepalm Evilmags' comment?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Myranda said:

Can women not buy a Thai bride ???

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Myranda said:

Can women not buy a Thai bride ???

;)
    Well I've not heard of lesbian Thai brides... and I guess with there only being a recent move to same sex marriages there hasn't been that option to get a Visa... and in recent years the immigration types have been hunting for sham marriages to kick them out... 

Oh... wait...

Is women buying women not very feminist either ?! OMG!
  • Myranda said:
    Thai bride websites do a valuable service to a subsection of humanity. And by crikey could she cook good food!

Flagged as spam.  This is flagrant advertising. :P
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Myranda said:

Oh... wait...

Actually, my point was that it's not a feminist issue really.  

It's "just" the free market at work - allowing those with money to buy whatever they want, from people who want the money that's being offered - ie its a capitalism issue more than it is a feminist or masculinist issue.  Or, in this specific situation, it's a humanist issue.

I think I might just have invented that word (masculinist) - the spellchecker certainly didn't like it.  Perhaps we're using a sexist spell checker?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Myranda said:

Oh... wait...

Actually, my point was that it's not a feminist issue really.  

It's "just" the free market at work - allowing those with money to buy whatever they want, from people who want the money that's being offered - ie its a capitalism issue more than it is a feminist or masculinist issue.  Or, in this specific situation, it's a humanist issue.

I think I might just have invented that word (masculinist) - the spellchecker certainly didn't like it.  Perhaps we're using a sexist spell checker?
    I think it stays a somewhat more feminist issue unless there's Thai husband websites... if they are then by golly it's humanist... or something
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited August 2013
    I had a boss back in the 80's who got/bought a Thai or maybe from the South seas "mail order bride" as they were called then and he was your stereotypical balding (resplendent with Bobby Charlton comb over) man in his 50's.

She was very gorgeous, lean, fit looking and in her late 20's, the rumour was quite a few younger work colleagues had ahem a wee shot. 

Strange thing was around age 35 almost overnight she put on eleventeen stone and her previously flawless complexion turned to some sort of leather of a strange texture and colour. 

As far as I know they stayed married for the long haul so a happy ending all round I guess.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    johnnyurq said:
    As far as I know they stayed married for the long haul so a happy ending all round I guess.
    Well if you're going to get a happy ending anywhere it's going to be Thailand. 

I'm sorry I couldn't help it. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I'd be checking out whether 'she' had a front bottom, or meat and two veg down there.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    edited August 2013
    johnnyurq said:
    I had a boss back in the 80's who got/bought a Thai or maybe from the South seas "mail order bride" as they were called then and he was your stereotypical balding (resplendent with Bobby Charlton comb over) man in his 50's.

She was very gorgeous, lean, fit looking and in her late 20's, the rumour was quite a few younger work colleagues had ahem a wee shot. 

Strange thing was around age 35 almost overnight she put on eleventeen stone and her previously flawless complexion turned to some sort of leather of a strange texture and colour. 

Apparently they make very good nurses at around the time the owner/husband stops being quite so interested in sex, so dual purpose ;). One of my very distant relatives has one.... and they do seem happy. He's about 55, she's probably around 40. I've met her once and I wouldn't say she acts like she's being exploited - quite the opposite, she bosses him around :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    Myranda said:
    I think it stays a somewhat more feminist issue unless there's Thai husband websites... if they are then by golly it's humanist... or something
    It's murkier though - consider why they're trying to get out of Thailand...it's because the opportunities for women there are significantly worse than for men. If that wasn't the case, then there wouldn't be any Thai brides.

I honestly used to think that feminism was all about allowing women all the choices they can possibly have in life - however, it seems that in cases like this (or being strippers, prostitutes etc) that counts far less than the apparent morality of it.

The way I see it, (most of) these women had a choice that is not open to the majority of us - go out for a day, wear a fancy frock, sign a bit of paper and get a whole new life. Seems like the sort of thing "feminism" should support, no?
    <space for hire>
    Myranda said:
    It's murkier though - consider why they're trying to get out of Thailand...it's because the opportunities for women there are significantly worse than for men. If that wasn't the case, then there wouldn't be any Thai brides.

I honestly used to think that feminism was all about allowing women all the choices they can possibly have in life - however, it seems that in cases like this (or being strippers, prostitutes etc) that counts far less than the apparent morality of it.

The way I see it, (most of) these women had a choice that is not open to the majority of us - go out for a day, wear a fancy frock, sign a bit of paper and get a whole new life. Seems like the sort of thing "feminism" should support, no?
    Read up further, was only pointing out why I used the word feminist in the first place as TTony had said it wasn't a womanly issue... but still think it's a grey area. And of course think about what you said. Feminism is about equality - if they wish to leave Thailand because they have no opportunities there, then that's well and truely a feminist issue... no grey at all

Prostitution/stripping is fine if two things are true 1) that it was their choice, and 2) it's not just their choice as they had such restricted choices/chances growing up simple due to lacking willies.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    Myranda said:
    Read up further, was only pointing out why I used the word feminist in the first place as TTony had said it wasn't a womanly issue... but still think it's a grey area. And of course think about what you said. Feminism is about equality - if they wish to leave Thailand because they have no opportunities there, then that's well and truely a feminist issue... no grey at all

Prostitution/stripping is fine if two things are true 1) that it was their choice, and 2) it's not just their choice as they had such restricted choices/chances growing up simple due to lacking willies.
    I guess it depends on the context...my experience of feminism is that the modern interpretation has been twisted to be closer to "female extremism"; I rarely come across somebody who, like yourself, still thinks of it in terms of equality ;)
    <space for hire>
    Where'd my post go?! Damn it.

The media has a lot to answer for on that. Mostly feminists were never about more than equality - the media for a long time was run by mens so was often less than sympathetic shall we say.

Some feminist writers don't make things easy - recent years several have been openly anti-trans for instance... campaigning for total equality while pointing at another group and saying "but not for them" does our cause no good and lots of harm. Equality is so close, we have most of the same opportunities, the pay gap when we get to places is getting smaller, there are more and more female CEOs every year. Ok women are still not given the same respect in some cases as men - men who sleep around: stud - women: whore. Sporty women: dyke, sporty men: hero. etc... young girls are bought pink thinks before they can articulate a choice, young boys blue - then through peer pressure and marketing young girl toys are often dictated as dolls and teasets for boys is cars and toy guns (ok on that last one there's some studies to show girls tend towards dolls and boys towards actiony toys, but still small sample sizes and without subjecting the child to cruel isolation how will you eliminate marketing an peer pressure for such tests?)
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Plenty of websites offering Russians and South Americans as well. In the case of Thailand their is not just the economic side. It was a very high murder rate and men don't treat women very well. Uf you are western look half decent and go for a night out in most far eastern cities you quickly find a LOT of girls are very interested in you. Probably because the women expect to be treated with more respect than they would by a local.