What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    VimFuego said:
    got that on the magick box to watch, thought with a cast list like that it has to be good. P'raps I won't bother now.
    Let me know what happens if you do :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Prometheus 
    Still shit, and now MrsF agrees :)
    ^ this
    What I can't understand, is why I have watched it about 6 times though, there are some beautifully shot set pieces that are stunning in HD, and hey Charlize Theron is easy on the eyes, but the rest is just bollox really.

new Total Recall, watched the end half on sky, Friday, watched the end 2/3 last night on sky, might watch the beginning tonight :D - even though Colin Farrell is a total wanker.

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Zodiac51 said:
    ...even though Colin Farrell is a total wanker.

I'm willing to forgive him almost anything after 'In Bruges' ;) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Slice

Weird. Nightmare giving weird. Good film if you like weird.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited August 2013
    Flash Gordon.

Cheesier than a cheesy thing covered in cheese with cheese on the side, but fun.

And comments about Ornella Muti

You're talking about the woman of my dreams, Stoo. When she walks down the ramp with Tim Dalton into the rebel camp with those red strides on...........ooooooh my fucking good grief, trouser involuntary.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I have watched... Netflix ... hmpf!
  • fatherjackfatherjack Frets: 180
    Kick Ass 2 - Jim Carey in not totally Fucking annoying shocker. OK, but not quite the same lunatic fun of the first one - they've done some character development, which was a mistake.

It does have its moments, though.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    ICBM said:
    VimFuego said:
    got that on the magick box to watch, thought with a cast list like that it has to be good. P'raps I won't bother now.
    Let me know what happens if you do :).

well, watched about the 1st hour last night, wasn't gripped. The film looked stunning, but the plot seemed thin. I was shocked at some of the acting, most especially mckellans (sp) who seemed to be going for the Donald Sinden award for hamming it up. THe music was good, but totally out of keeping with the film, and some of it made parts of the film look like an 80's pop video, compete with dry ice, running in slowmo and so on. Maybe I'll go back to the last hour at some point.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    IanSavage said:
    Zodiac51 said:
    ...even though Colin Farrell is a total wanker.

I'm willing to forgive him almost anything after 'In Bruges' ;) 
    Forgot that, that was a cracking film, Can't forgive him for Miami Vice though  X_X
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314

Pacific Rim. Basically it's Godzilla vs Transformers (but without the fun). Even my son, whose idea it was to see this slice of hokum, said it was shit.

How Idris Elba keeps a straight face thoughout this load of bollocks is beyond me, he deserves an Oscar for not cracking up laughing IMO.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    The Alan Partridge film.

Thought it was very funny.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    The Tourist - a bit hitchocky, quite good really... Angelina Jolie looks like Lady Penelope in it.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

Pacific Rim - which had sooo much potential and just didn't quite live up to it..

Word War Z - which was pretty cool in places.. but didn't have quite enough killing going on..

in fact... I think most of the "epic" movies I've seen in the last few years have failed to live up to the hype..

Battleship etc..

play every note as if it were your first
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27585
    Strippers vs Werewolves

Much better than expected. Still awful, but enjoyably awful.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Iron Man 3

Better than 2, not better than 3. I like the idea of Iron Man movies more than I actually like them, I think. The twist, which I wont go into for obvious reasons, was too obvious, but a good effort. 

Overall I'd give it 7/10

2001: A Space Odyssey
    First time watching the bluray on a big TV with 5.1 sound. Wonderful. Still ridiculously odd, but soooo amazing to look at and listen to. A proper classic for good reason.

The "Abbey Road" of sci-fi movies?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27585
    Sharknado.

Appalling yet awesome.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Sporky said:
    Sharknado.

Appalling yet awesome.
    Agreed :D
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    Just caught Elysium. Not a patch on the director's previous film, District 9. It was an obvious plot, which reminded me very much of Ben Bova's 1978 novel "Colony". Matt Damon is always good value for money but the rest of the film was clichéd cardboard rubbish. Disappointed as the premise could have been the cornerstone of an interesting and thoughtful movie, which is the whole point of science fiction.
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I saw Elysium today and enjoyed it, Watched The Watch the other day, which was less shit than expected
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Watched my first film in about a year tonight:  Nightmare Alley. 

I don't really do films but I'm not gigging and it feels really weird and I had this on DVD.  Anyway, Nightmare Alley wasn't all that but it was made in 1947 and cinematic conventions have changed since then.  It did have one good moment in it as the stage mentalist begins his psychic scam by "seeing" the dead daughter of a woman in the audience.