Those new mini Vox Amp thingies

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8534
I think they are sounding pretty good from the clips.

I mean this one is not close mic'd at all, camera mic by the sounds of it, so has its limitations, but even through this it seems to sound and react like a decent amp.

On another note, John Bohlinger is fast becoming my fav you tube guitarist, love his playing, and his schoolboy enthusiasm. Such a difference from his rig rundowns which I found unwatchable.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ErjimipeyErjimipey Frets: 1
    Also interested in these, especially the AC model... Sounds damn good to my ears... I wonder if a reverb pedal would do the work without loop... 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    They look good, they sound good, and you could even use one to chock the wheel of the van in the steep Palace Hotel Ballroom car park.
    I have two questions:
    - how do they compare to the Quilter and DV Mark offerings?
    - who thought that stupid rigid handle on the top was a good idea? It effectively doubles the size of the thing and renders it incompatible with a gigbag pocket or suchlike.

• martmart Frets: 5205
    simonk said:
    - who thought that stupid rigid handle on the top was a good idea? It effectively doubles the size of the thing and renders it incompatible with a gigbag pocket or suchlike.
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sCFPwJ68C10/maxresdefault.jpg

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    mart said:
    simonk said:
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sCFPwJ68C10/maxresdefault.jpg

Fair point.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Has he never come across a trem before?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    edited May 2017
    Here it is in a pedal comparison with an AC15cc1. It disappoints with the Tarpit (muff style pedal) though.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    simonk said:
    mart said:
    simonk said:
    [Dremel]
    Fair point.
    Funny… but to be dull (as usual ;) ) if you take the top cover off you'll find the handle is bolted on from the inside. Quicker and easier to take it off like that :).

Babones said:
    Here it is in a pedal comparison with an AC15cc1. It disappoints with the Tarpit (muff style pedal) though.
    I also thought it was marginally worse with the Tube Screamer, for the same reason - it has just a little too much bass and too little top-end. But it's very good, especially on its own - I think I might almost prefer the straight sound to the AC15.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    I was thinking of getting one of these little amps recently. But the lack of loop put me off. So I got one of these instead.

I've been really happy with it. 

That Joyo series makes me chuckle with the bold letters in the names, signifying which amps they are copying. eg JACKMAN, ATOMIC etc
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This chap puts them through a few different cabs and effects etc

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    I hope they come out with a dual channel version with an FX loop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    I like the that by using the NuTube technology that Vox have managed to make a small lightweight 'valve' amp. My initial thought was that the lack of an FX loop and full EQ make this a novelty amp rather than a serious bit of kit. However, I've just read the review in Guitarist magazine and they reckon that its intrinsic tone is so well EQ'd that a simple tone control is sufficient. The seemed very impressed.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    HAL9000 said:
    I like the that by using the NuTube technology that Vox have managed to make a small lightweight 'valve' amp. My initial thought was that the lack of an FX loop and full EQ make this a novelty amp rather than a serious bit of kit. However, I've just read the review in Guitarist magazine and they reckon that its intrinsic tone is so well EQ'd that a simple tone control is sufficient. The seemed very impressed.

Guitarist magazine impressed by new gear? That can't be right, they're normally so critical of anything new on the market.
     :) 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    edited June 2017
    Sassafras said:
    HAL9000 said:

Guitarist magazine impressed by new gear? That can't be right, they're normally so critical of anything new on the market.

Yeah, I know and agree re Guitarist reviews. However, you can often read between the lines to get an idea of the weaker points. My impression (and it is only an impression) is that the reviewer was surprised by how good the amp was.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Babones said:
    This chap puts them through a few different cabs and effects etc

That there's a really cool mini-rig.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Apparently they are only 12 watts into some loads and aren't really loud enough to gig.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    HAL9000 said:
    Sassafras said:
    HAL9000 said:

Yeah, I know and agree re Guitarist reviews. However, you can often read between the lines to get an idea of the weaker points. My impression (and it is only an impression) is that the reviewer was surprised by how good the amp was.
    Yeah I got the impression that they genuinely liked them, even by their own standards, they used the words potential game changer.

By contrast the review of the Helix LT in the same issue is shocking. Nothing there you couldn't lean from reading Line 6 blurb, it just listed the things that were different to the standard Helix. They made no opinions on the sounds at all, other than "usual great Helix sounds" - which ones, all of them? Surely some amp models hit the spot better than others in the reviewers opinion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitarist became a shit sheet a long way back.

A product was rated by how much said manufacturer had pumped into their advertising budget that month. Nothing impartial in that mag for years 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 395
    Having played the MV50 amps myself, I would say they are plenty loud enough to gig with. Maybe the people that say they aren't loud enough are just speculating without having given them a proper go. Either that or they are expecting to gig in massive rooms unmiced? 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    susbemol said:
    Having played the MV50 amps myself, I would say they are plenty loud enough to gig with. Maybe the people that say they aren't loud enough are just speculating without having given them a proper go. Either that or they are expecting to gig in massive rooms unmiced? 
    IIRC it was someone on TGP or similar american site.

The complaint was that they claim to be 50w, but that's only into a 4Ω cab which most guitarists don't have and even the matching cab is 8Ω. The chap in question only had a 16Ω cab and so only got 12.5w which didn't have enough headroom for live use.