Crimson fret crowning file and polishing rubber

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
edited February 2016 in Other Reviews
Following the Wudtone UTL purchase, I then got the Crimson crowning/profiling/dressing file and fret rubber. 

These were ordered Saturday and arrived the Friday just gone. 

The file feels a quality item, nice handle and the corners are smooth to try and help you not to chew up the fret board, although masking tape is still recommended. 

I took the strings off, masked the board and put black marker on top of the frets. I've never done anything like this before, so just tried to crown the frets based to the fret job I had on my Tele. I lent the file on the board and tried to file in a fluid motion on both sides, once done, I used the fret rubber to polish up the fret. I then did this for the remaining frets :)

I'm happy with the results, with more experience etc.. I'm sure I could have done and even better job. Is it as good as the fret levels I've paid for in the past, probably not, but that's down to my inexperience rather than the file. 

Overall, a well made tool that even someone like me with no experience can use and get good results. The rubber got the frets nice and smooth and shiny. It's certainly something I'll do again!

Some pictures:

And the finished article all strung up!

All I need now is a fret end file :)
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I love crimson, everything they do is quality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Thanks for the reviews - this and the levelling tool. I managed to 'lose' all my tools last year and am looking to replace them, and reading your take on these is really helpfilled :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    I've used that tri corner file for a while now, I really like it. 

Check out GMI tools in Greece (I believe). Think my fret end file and a few other things came from them and they're cheap but cheerful. 
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    @streethawk said:
    I've used that tri corner file for a while now, I really like it. 

Check out GMI tools in Greece (I believe). Think my fret end file and a few other things came from them and they're cheap but cheerful. 
    Cheers - I'll check them out :)

• SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    I bought a fret bender from GMI, it was cheap so I didn't expect it to last too long, but I've never had such a bad experience with any ebay seller, tje bender was more a corrugator, one of the bearings is a terrible fit and wobbles as you turn the handle, seller refused to refund and I lost out after taking too long trying to rectify it with him, missed the ebay returns deadline.
    Suffice to say I won't be going back.
  • 10thumbs10thumbs Frets: 427

Was wondering about these rubbers just the other day , couldn't you use an ink eraser to get the frets smooth and shiny ?

I haven't used one for years but I recall they are quite tough and quite gritty.

• derndern Frets: 357
    I bought these tools from Crimson along with the levelling file. I did a fret job on an old epiphone flying V that was all over the place. It was my first try at this and really pleased with the results. Would recommend these tools unreservedly with the caveat that I've not used any others to compare them with.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    What the fret polishing rubber is made from?  I use Peek but this seems like a better option and less messy.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Its made from rubber you maniac
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Would a simple eraser not do the same job?
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    What's the benefit of the triangular file over the "formed" ones? I'm in the market for some fret tools, and I was planning on getting the one that basically the same shape as the fret.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Would a simple eraser not do the same job?

They're made from some sort of rubber (silicone, I assume) with varying grades of abrasive powder mixed in. Unlike things like Garryflex blocks, the Crimson ones are very stable - don't get gritty bits falling off, and they seem very resistant to wear. I got the set of four, and working up the grits to SF (super fine) gets a very good finish - borderline whether polishing paste is needed afterwards. Good shape for working with frets as well. One thing to note is that the thicknesses of mine vary a bit - all usable enough, but some more consistency would have been better.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    Love all my crimson tools except the nut slotting files, quite inaccurate widths due to the teeth being poorly cut and very inconsistent from gauge to gauge,  some cut like hot knife thru butter and some take considerably more passes  for the amount of cash i wish id have just doubled down and bought a proper set of files.  The leveling file, crowning file and nut shaping files along with the fret rubbers are however excellent.   Also cannot recommend the fretboard cleaner and conditioners enough.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.