SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Fender Champ 12 valve Limited Edition *price drop*

timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
edited July 2017 in Amps £
I recently picked this up, its a late 80's - early 90's Champ 12, the serial numbers make it quite hard to get a pinpoint date of manufacture, buts from the "Red Knob" era. Limited Edition original red tolex and built in the USA. UK 240v power version.

1 x 6L6/5881
 2 x 12AX7

(W)420mm x (H)400mm x (D)230mm. Approx 11.5kg.

I changed the valves today, so its loaded with brand new JJ valves (premium tested and graded for the v1 position)
 This one has also been upgraded with a UK Celestion Vintage 30, so for its tiny size its actually pretty bloody loud for just 12watts.

Split channel, the clean & overdrive share a 2 band EQ with an upper mid range boost on the treble pull pot. Lovely reverb and its just so bloody compact. The channels are switched via the captive footswitch, which is all original and functioning as it should. Few battle scars around the amp, but nothing that detracts from the really cool red finish. Headphone output and tape input on the front, although i haven't tested these as i have nothing to test them with! Its a great grab and go amp and takes pedals like a champ (no pun intended), its just not really the sound i'm after, so its wasted on me!

I'm looking for £260 posted (uk)would prefer collection but carriage can be discussed, although i don't have PayPal, so its Bank Transfer only.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9444
    edited July 2017
    Got to be worth £300 just for the looks ! Beautiful- GLWTS 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Got to be worth £300 just for the looks ! Beautiful- GLWTS 
    Cheers @Wazmeister , it is the coolest looking champ! It sounds great too but I'm just not much of a clean /pedal player
  • Great amp and drive tones are cool too. My housemate at uni had one, well loud! 
    Great amp and drive tones are cool too. My housemate at uni had one, well loud! 
    Tell me about it mate, i was shocked at how loud it actually goes and for a small amp, theres a lot of headroom.
  • infuzedinfuzed Frets: 5
    where are you based for collection?
    infuzed said:
    where are you based for collection?
    Kings Lynn , Norfolk @infuzed , although I don't mind driving out a bit meet someone. 
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 908
    I have one of these (not in red) - a lot is said about the drive being unusable, whack a lower output 12ax7 (something like a 5751) in there and it sorts it right out.  That and a Vintage 30 make this a great gigging amp for not many pennies.

Oh, one point though, worth taking the chassis out and checking that the reverb tank is attached - it's a crappy design and easily comes apart, 5 mins and a hot glue gun and it's back where it should be :)
    I have one of these (not in red) - a lot is said about the drive being unusable, whack a lower output 12ax7 (something like a 5751) in there and it sorts it right out.  That and a Vintage 30 make this a great gigging amp for not many pennies.

Oh, one point though, worth taking the chassis out and checking that the reverb tank is attached - it's a crappy design and easily comes apart, 5 mins and a hot glue gun and it's back where it should be :)

The drive tone does just take a bit of getting used to, but its got a fair amount of gain and even with the minimal EQ theres still a few really good tones to be had! 

I checked the reverb tank, its all ok and positioned correctly, i tend to have an amp open when i know its been standing for a while. This one had cobwebs on the back so i opened her up just to check there was no living matter inside the amp! Revalve and a quick PAT test and she's sounding great! 
    Bump
    Bump, before I list it on gumtree
    Bump, now listed on gumtree too
    Why don't you like me!