Ibanez. Prestige v Premium?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23955
    I went back to the shop. Tried a different Blue Floral.

Loved it.

Its now in my house.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I went back to the shop. Tried a different Blue Floral.

Loved it.

Its now in my house.
    Nice one.
    Well done man.

Jealous? Me?
    Whatever gave you that idea?

HNGD.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    I went to PMT today to try out a Blue Floral.

I loved the neck. Absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately on this example the trem system was faulty. It was catching on something giving a weird clicking on the way back up after bombing. Was't the bar collar, we took that off to try it. I;ve had tons of trems in the past, but this was a new one on me.

NOT the shop's fault in the slightest -  it was transferred from elsewhere and arrived at the shop after I did. So they couldn't even check it before I saw it.

They are getting another one in for thursday so I'll try that then. If all is good then I'll have it.

If not, then I'll look at a Prestige instead, even if I don't get my Vai / Liberace fix!
    Might have been rubbing on the pickguard? My original edge was so had to shave down the plastic. Still didn't really do anything though and it never stayed in tune so I had to block it. 
  • JDE said:
    As above, if you don't mind used, look for a J Custom, or grab a bargain and get an old 550 and put the pickups of your choice in. 
    If it must be new, the RG652 is, in my humble opinion, the best shred machine on the market. Try before you buy though - the neck is unreal thin, so you may like it or not! I wish I thought the Premiums were as good, because I'd love a Blue Floral Jem or the Blue Reef RG6PCM which I think are *beautiful* looking, but my 652 blows them out of the water. 
    As the owner of @JDE 's old hard-tail RG652, I can confirm it's the best Ibanez I've owned. Total shred machine, although I now kind of fancy something heavier and fatter, such is the fickle nature of GAS...
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    @imalrightjack hahaha, don't feel bad. I swear I have musical ADHD now I'm not in a band anymore. Considering selling virtually all of my stuff (not my 652!) and starting again. 
    "Now I will dedicate my life to playing flamenco!"
  • :) @JDE - I've toyed with selling most of my guitars to buy one to rule them all. Unrealistic, stupid but appealling. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Unrealistic, stupid but appealing sums me up. 

Apart from the appealing part.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017
    This is some kind of conspiracy. 
    I'm sure of it now.
    I'm surrounded by guitars and miserable and it's all your fault.
    All of you.
    FML.

EDIT: There was an element of humour in that and some truth.
    Sorry.
    Bad gear day.
    I'm getting closer and closer to realising I hate having loads of 'Nice' guitars and I should have saved up and bought the one I really want. It's not a nice feeling, like the moment just after you fall flat on your face.
    I stand by my last comment. .... 
    FML.
    Here's a smiley though,  just for the hell of it.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @Alnico you're talking about a neon pink Jem, aren't you? 
    JDE said:
    @Alnico you're talking about a neon pink Jem, aren't you? 
    Rather ridiculously I think you're right.
    There's either going to be a firesale very soon or I'll take them all to see @DougCoda and I'll just trade all 4 guitars in on one amazing one.
    ......and yes, I've seen the Signed Jem7v. 

It might well be that one..... I just don't know anymore.
    All I know is I've bought too many 'Nice' guitars instead of one amazing one and I feel like a fucking idiot now.

Doug......I'll pm you when I stop feeling like a complete twat and at least warn you with some photos as to what I'm probably going to bring to you next week.
    Mate, nothing stupid about it.

if I had to only have one guitar and I needed a locking trem, I'd totally be looking at a neon Jem or an original Blue Floral. 
    JDE said:

if I had to only have one guitar and I needed a locking trem, I'd totally be looking at a neon Jem or an original Blue Floral. 
    I should have bought the SFG I wanted in the first place but I decided to 'Cover all the bases' with a bunch of guitars that are lovely in their own right but don't inspire or move me.

Whatever I get when I inevitably sell this bunch it will be some kind of JEM or very similar.
    Truth be told I'd rather buy something I can try first at coda and I'd rather buy from Doug than anywhere else.

Next week will be interesting to say the least.
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Alnico said:
    JDE said:

I should have bought the SFG I wanted in the first place but I decided to 'Cover all the bases' with a bunch of guitars that are lovely in their own right but don't inspire or move me.

Whatever I get when I inevitably sell this bunch it will be some kind of JEM or very similar.
    Truth be told I'd rather buy something I can try first at coda and I'd rather buy from Doug than anywhere else.

If you're ever near Stroud you're welcome to try my Jems :)
    edited August 2017
    Alnico said:
    JDE said:

If you're ever near Stroud you're welcome to try my Jems
    Thanks, That's really nice of you.
    I've played enough JEM's to know that they're the best superstrat ever made, that's the things that's ruined my day.
    I knew this from the start and I should have listened to it but instead, I went and spent the price of a brand new one in smaller amounts on all this stuff, which now is hanging all around my walls mocking me instead of making me want to play it all.

I knew what I should have done and didn't, honestly, I made better decisions when I used to take drugs!

Once I pull myself out of the gutter I'll write some adverts this weekend and let them run until Saturday next week.
    Whatever is still here by then is going to Coda with me and not coming back.
    The culling process will be good therapy.

All I really want is just one proper good guitar that doesn't need anything doing to it. No "Oh it'll be great when it's had this or that and the nut's too high but once it's been set up........." etc.
    Just a shred style guitar with a locking tremolo that works to sit alongside my strat and be the alternative that the strat can't be. That's all I ever wanted really. My Strat and something to *try* to learn to play fast rock/metal stuff on...........in the meantime just enjoy playing what rock/metal I can play on it.

The only success I've had today is that despite feeling like utter shit about all of this, ....I'm still clean, I haven't taken anything I shouldn't have had and I can still claim the almost 6 months sobriety that I'm kinda proud of.
    Gear can beat me with ease it seems but I guess I can always just choose not to take that stuff and make a success out of that at least.
    Bad day over.
    Good day today.

3 guitars for sale, adverts going up here on Sunday night.
    Whatever hasn't sold by next Friday is going with me to the guitar shop to get traded in against something I really want.
    It'll be either a Jem or something very similar, keeping options open but I know what kind of model I'm looking at.

There is a STUNNING Pewter RG model on @FelineGuitars ; website but I don't think my guitars will be of much interest as a trade in and I might get enough for them if they do sell to buy it, but that's a long shot to expect all three to sell.................. but wow ! What a great looking guitar.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    Alnico said:
    Bad day over.
    Good day today.

Whatever hasn't sold by next Friday is going with me to the guitar shop to get traded in against something I really want.
    It'll be either a Jem or something very similar, keeping options open but I know what kind of model I'm looking at.

There is a STUNNING Pewter RG model on @FelineGuitars ;; website but I don't think my guitars will be of much interest as a trade in and I might get enough for them if they do sell to buy it, but that's a long shot to expect all three to sell.................. but wow ! What a great looking guitar.
    This bad boy?

It's a serious bit of kit as @peteri will attest as he was torn between the Red Panther and this  when he came superstar shopping .
    @alnico I'm open to offers on it at the moment as looming VAT bill is threatening my sanity.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Alnico said:
    Bad day over.
    Good day today.

There is a STUNNING Pewter RG model on @FelineGuitars ;; website but I don't think my guitars will be of much interest as a trade in and I might get enough for them if they do sell to buy it, but that's a long shot to expect all three to sell.................. but wow ! What a great looking guitar.
    This bad boy?

It's a serious bit of kit as @peteri will attest as he was torn between the Red Panther and this  when he came superstar shopping .
    @alnico I'm open to offers on it at the moment as looming VAT bill is threatening my sanity.
    That's the one!

I'll drop you a PM now and explain things from my end,..............Maybe my trade in's would interest you, I don't know until I show you.

I'll PM you now, thanks for replying Jon.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Honestly? Just get it. 

To elaborate I spent a great afternoon with Jon, comparing this to my Ibanez Japanese RG, the Panther I bought 

this guitar is so good I nearly bought two, I played this one first -- the neck is great, lovely smooth ebony which is just effortless. And the fatest sound I've ever heard from a super strat 

It really is the best Ibanez they never made. 

What swung it for me was I loved the neck profile slightly more on the Panther and I fancied the idea of a floyd for the first time. 

This guitar is so good I'm still tempted to call Jon on Tuesday!

peteri said:
    Honestly? Just get it. 

To elaborate I spent a great afternoon with Jon, comparing this to my Ibanez Japanese RG, the Panther I bought 

this guitar is so good I nearly bought two, I played this one first -- the neck is great, lovely smooth ebony which is just effortless. And the fatest sound I've ever heard from a super strat 

It really is the best Ibanez they never made. 

What swung it for me was I loved the neck profile slightly more on the Panther and I fancied the idea of a floyd for the first time. 

This guitar is so good I'm still tempted to call Jon on Tuesday!

I have guitars to sell or trade in and I don't have £1900 lying around to buy it first. 

If that's how you feel about it then you're much more likely to get it before I do.

All I can say is well done and good luck.
  • Bit of an old thread, but this may still help people:

The heating up of the bushings had limited effectiveness over time for me, so I went looking for alternative fixes, and came across a rock solid one. It's perhaps a little less elegant, but it's 100% effective.

Take a small piece of the biodegradable plastic packaging that D'Adarrio strings come in (or a regular plastic bag if you're less enviro) and wrap it around the end of the trem before you push it in the socket. The trem doesn't move at all. And it sticks to the trem, so comes out when you remove it. You only need like a square cm or so.