Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The "forum guitar" phenomenon

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    edited February 2014
    ESchap said:
    I had a Tokai LS85(?) quilt top that I bought from @surfguy13 and sold on to @TTony back in the MR forum days, not sure if it's still in circulation?
    @ESchap, I sold it on - via MR - but I can't remember who to.  Lovely guitar, just too heavy for my back in those days ...

[edit]
    Here it is ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Damn, @stonevibe. If I'd known you were going to put a Bigsby on it, I'd have kept it just to save it from you :D
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7132
    Damn, @stonevibe. If I'd known you were going to put a Bigsby on it, I'd have kept it just to save it from you :D
    It was that or a Lo-Pro Edge...

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17571
    tFB Trader
    The G&L ASAT I had probably counts as a Forum guitar, but it was definitely not crap. The fact that a previous owner is trying to get it back attests to that. 

There are a few fairly generic models that I've seen change hands about 10 times in quick succession (I seem to recall a blacktop tele) that make me a bit sus.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    blueskunk said:
    @jookychap haha , my keeper riv came from @jonnyburgo which probably came from the old place :)

Me and Jonny swap for fun :)
    I've come to the conclusion that in a lot of cases we're not actually buying and selling,  instead we're loaning each other money and putting guitars up as collateral...

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    Whenever I see an ad that starts "I got this off forumite X in a deal, but its not my thing..." the first thought that pops into my head---rightly or wrongly---is always "oh, so TWO forumites have decided this isn't good enough to keep it...?" 
    Sometimes it's because the guitar doesn't fit with what the owner wants, but you've got to try it before you know that.  I am the current custodian of one of these forum whores: a McCarty.  It's not a particularly "hard rock" guitar.  Previous owners have swapped pickups to try for a harder sound, and not been happy with the result. Whereas I've put the originals back because I expected them to they suit my style better, and in fact they do.  When I bought the guitar I was prepared to move it on because wasn't sure whether I'd get on with the wide fat neck.  It turns out that I do, and the guitar is likely to stay.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    Didn't there used to be an SG double-neck that did the rounds on the old place? I can quite appreciate the phenomenon with that one.

"Wow, I'm Jimmy Page!" quickly becomes "Bloody hell, this is awkward and heavy and takes up loads of room and won't go on a stand and won't hang on the wall..."

Like Liz Taylor said about owning a yaucht, the best two things about it are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    To be honest I love the idea of someone buying their own guitar back 3 times because it just shows that at the time we sold it, we were just Human.

Or Skint.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Great thread. I sold a guitar on MR and have regretted it ever since. Love for it to be returned...
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2876
    Oh yeah just to be clear i bought the riv off Jon , sold it him back, then bought back :)
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I really want back the hotrodded Vintage Strat-alike that's back up for sale on here...:/
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    Damn, @stonevibe. If I'd known you were going to put a Bigsby on it, I'd have kept it just to save it from you :D
    That SE One didn't come from so worry not. I paid too much for it from some rip off merchant on Ebay..
    Typical me that is..
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24184
    There's a 5 string stingray bass on basschat that everyone has had! I had it too.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with it. It was very well put together, it sounded like a 'ray should.

But for some reason, no one bonded with it. No idea who has it now.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    I sold a guitar to a forumite once, apparently Im a 4 months interest free credit provider
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    bertie said:
    I sold a guitar to a forumite once, apparently Im a 4 months interest free credit provider
    Well, in that case, what else are you currently selling?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2876
    I'll have one of his fine acoustics thankyou ;)
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    I picked up a guitar today from a forum member (bloody nice chap) which makes me at least the third forum owner of said guitar.

It's staying with me for a while though...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    Is Timmyo's Wavecaster still doing the rounds?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    My LP Special is a 'forum' guitar - ex @TTony and @mctoot but far from being a meh guitar, its wonderful!

A lot of my guitar kit came from deals on here and the old MR forum. Parts (the necks on three of my guitars for example), pedals, amps, cabs and guitars! Even my MacBook!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• My Taylor 214 is ex-@Niallmo and @Guitargeek62, iirc. Far from the best guitar ever but a great workhorse acoustic. I don't have any other forum guitars in the sense of this thread (though my Cabronita is care of Wez and Si/GG62)

I don't have much other forum-gear atm, beyond a Liquid Sunshine (NotTheDJ, I think) and my Valvesporker.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires