Behringer XR18 digital desk

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8570
    We've just bought an X18. I'm looking for advice on doing an initial setup in preparation for a full dress rehearsal next month. Any advice is welcome. Things were particularly interested in:

Are you satisfied with the inbuilt wifi, or do you use an external network hub, or cat5 cable?

What are you using to control the main mix? iPad, Mac, android or PC?

What are are band members using to control their monitor/IEM mixes?

Do you use gates and compression on the incoming channels? One of the articles I've read said that the inbuilt drum settings are a bit too tight.

Which reverb models do you use for FOH and IEMs?

We currently send bass and kick drum to the sub using an external crossover in a graphic EQ which sits after the mixer. Any thoughts on doing this from the X18, using an internal graphic and one of the aux/bus outputs?

@glt56 @BahHumbug @Cabicular ;

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    Roland said:
    We've just bought an X18. I'm looking for advice on doing an initial setup in preparation for a full dress rehearsal next month. Any advice is welcome. Things were particularly interested in:

Are you satisfied with the inbuilt wifi, or do you use an external network hub, or cat5 cable?

What are you using to control the main mix? iPad, Mac, android or PC?

What are are band members using to control their monitor/IEM mixes?

Do you use gates and compression on the incoming channels? One of the articles I've read said that the inbuilt drum settings are a bit too tight.

Which reverb models do you use for FOH and IEMs?

We currently send bass and kick drum to the sub using an external crossover in a graphic EQ which sits after the mixer. Any thoughts on doing this from the X18, using an internal graphic and one of the aux/bus outputs?

@glt56 @BahHumbug @Cabicular ;

I've only used mine with the built in wifi but my mates have external for theirs,  no issues at all so far but apparently it is faster and more responsive through a router so I'm going to get one soon and compare.  

I've  only run mine in iPads but I've done the sound for bands on an android tablet.    Slightly different but near enough the same.   I was toying with getting a cheaper tablet so I'm less bother about damage.  

I sometimes use gates and comp if I feel it's needed, I just program up my own settings,  nothing amazing compared to my old racks but they do a job so I think of them as a bonus.  

Using an aux for subs is straightforward enough and I've done it a few times.  There are plenty of aux outs.  
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8570
    Doesn't time fly, especially when you need to get the band together for a full day rehearsal. Today we did that, and actually got to use the X18.

The sound quality is a definite improvement over our analogue desk. Two things really stood out. 
    1. The ability to configure individual IEM mixes on our iPads, without calling 'a bit more, a bit less' to someone on the desk. It's possible to get a much better mix this way. Our singer said it is the bet monitor mix he's ever had. Personally I was glad to get an IEM mix that gives me confidence about my levels in the FOH mix.
    2. Being able to record15 tracks into a DAW while we rehearsed, then play back through the desk, and adjusting the mix. We're so pleased with the recordings, which we can now mix down, that we've dropped the idea of booking a recording studio later in the year.
    We used a MAC book, wired into the X18 with a USB cable to run the mixer app and Logic, and an external wireless router to connect our iPads. I think we'll use the MAC book at gigs to guard against wireless problems.

The X18 offers a lot of controls over individual channels. Aside from the faders we made one other change. We used a PEQ to boost the bass guitar by 1.7 dB around 725 Hz.

Problems? Nothing major.
    1. The wireless dropped out once or twice, even 'though we're using a commercial quality router, not a domestic unit or the X18's internal wireless. This is obviously something to watch out for at gigs, but not a major issue because any failure would only prevent us adjusting IEM mixes personally. We could still do it through the hard wired MAC book.
    2. Both the drummer and sax player managed to plug their mics into the wrong sockets on the snake. Easily solved because the X18 shows a meter image of the incoming signal on each channel. With the old desk this would have taken a little more effort to trace. 
    3. When switching between rehearsing and play back you have to go through 15 channels changing input from Line to USB, which takes a few minutes.
    The mix is now saved off. We'll use it at our mid week rehearsal, and as the basis of the mix at the next gig.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    edited September 2017
    One thing you'll have that a lot of small analogue desks lack that can absolutely clean up your mix is a high pass filter (HPF) on every channel. Cleaning up unnecessary low end of every channel will instantly open up your mix, and you'll be running your system more effectively by not pushing amps/drivers to chuck out low end that you don't want. 

Nothing that isn't a bass instrument (kick, bass guitar, keys/synths) really needs any content below 100Hz, so treat that as a starting point - even the bass instruments should still have one in somewhere lower down as most bands in pubs/functions etc aren't carrying kit that's reproducing 40Hz with any real efficiency!

As far as other processing goes, I'd say less is more. There's a big temptation with digital to use comps, gates and EQ all over the place just because you can. I've heard many a mix ruined by it! Presets are of limited use because every source and signal path is different, so what works for one instrument with a particular mic in a particular room might not be the best for you.  Start with it all switched off, and just throw it in where it genuinely needs it and you can hear a genuine improvement. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I spotted one of these at the Lukas Nelson gig I went to, they had all of the Drum Mics, both Guitar Amps, the Keyboards and the Bass Amp going into it.