Flatwound string advice please

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
I am not much of a bass player - but I have recently acquired a lovely old Shergold Marathon bass that I'm really enjoying playing. Thing is, the strings that are on it are knackered. This gives a lovely percussive yet woolly mellow sound on the low string but that isn't even with the G string, as that hasn't absorbed as much sweat/rust/cack. 

I'm thinking about fitting flatwounds to it in an attempt to preserve that woolly, thuddy sound but to even it up a bit. Plus, as I'm not the greatest bass player I'm thinking the flats wouldn't transmit so much finger noise.

I've measured whats on there with a micrometer and its got an odd set going from 105 (measuring 103... so there or there abouts) to 50 (measuring 49). So I reckon a standard 105-45 set would work without fiddling too much with the set up (insanely good intonation on this bass).

Whilst I kinda know what I'm doing with guitar strings, I'm not an expert on bass ones... so what would folks recommend? (Brands etc)

Many thanks 
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Daddario Chromes - they do a 45-105 set.

Reasonably high tension, plenty of thump but some top end retained so they don't sound too "lifeless" - last for years and nice to play.

I use them a lot (in fact, every bass except one which has La Bella low tension flats on, cos they seem to suit it better)

Guve them a try - if you don't like them, unlike guitar strings you'll be able to flog them.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    British bass guitar. British strings. Rotosound. :)

If I remember correctly, the woods in Shergolds make for a bright unamplified sound. Roundwound strings will sound fairly wiry unless you roll back the tone control a bit.

If your example has the dual output "stereo" wiring harness, you could split the signals for each coil of the pickup and EQ them separately. 

One advantage of the plastic control cavity cover plate is that it could be modified (or entirely replaced) to add active EQ.
    Be seeing you.

If I remember correctly, the woods in Shergolds make for a bright unamplified sound. Roundwound strings will sound fairly wiry unless you roll back the tone control a bit.

If your example has the dual output "stereo" wiring harness, you could split the signals for each coil of the pickup and EQ them separately. 

One advantage of the plastic control cavity cover plate is that it could be modified (or entirely replaced) to add active EQ.
    Every time I try Rotosounds they are off within an hour. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641

Thanks... yes, I have to admit my recent experiences with non bass Roto strings have been similar... and they are always a bit 'scratchy' sounding. Thats exactly what I'm trying to get away from with this - these old strings are great (or at least the low two are), as they are deep and mellow but my rubbish technique elicits a lot of string noise, hence my idea of flats.

Shergold were shipped with Picato strings... whilst these are old, I'm not sure they are the originals!!

It's worth trying a few different ones tbh. Chromes are good, so are Thomastik Infelds, and La Bellas.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    edited October 2017
    Bridgehouse said:

I understand where you are coming from. Rotosound roundwound strings are kinda weird when they are brand new. They have chewed through the varnish and into the fingerboard of my factory fretless Precision Bass.

I started using them on some bass guitars to get the over-sized low E. This helps when doing the Billy Sheehan Hipshot D-Tuner stunts. Strangely enough, I now have D-Tuners on some other bass guitars. On those, I use my usual gauges with no ill effects.

Hijack over.

Be seeing you.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    I've ordered some Chromes. Thanks for the input chaps!!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    Bridgehouse said:

(Slight diversion, sorry!)

Have you tried the cheap 'Roto Bass' ones? I did as a temporary measure when the shop had run out of DRs - having previously discounted them because I hate Swing Bass, and these cheaper ones could only be worse, right? - and they're so good I have still never got around to replacing them with DRs. They're so much better than the more expensive Swing Bass it's actually funny.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Thomastik-Infeld make superb flatwounds, got them on my jazz guitars and bass.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Bridgehouse said:

(Slight diversion, sorry!)

Have you tried the cheap 'Roto Bass' ones? I did as a temporary measure when the shop had run out of DRs - having previously discounted them because I hate Swing Bass, and these cheaper ones could only be worse, right? - and they're so good I have still never got around to replacing them with DRs. They're so much better than the more expensive Swing Bass it's actually funny.
    No, never tried them, only DRs.. however, now you mention it... I may have to give it a go
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    It's worth trying a few different ones tbh. Chromes are good, so are Thomastik Infelds, and La Bellas.
    Those are my favourites. LaBellas first choice and TI's a respectable second. I didn't like the Chrome strings, took them off inside a week - too bright and didn't have the silky feel of the La Bella's.
    Jalapeno said:
    Very very good strings, IF you can cope with the low tension..
    JezWynd said:
    Those are my favourites. LaBellas first choice and TI's a respectable second. I didn't like the Chrome strings, took them off inside a week - too bright and didn't have the silky feel of the La Bella's.
    Horses for courses I reckon.

The Chromes gave me the most p bass thump - and once you get used to them they have great harmonics to boot.

I liked the la bellas a lot but found them a bit flat sounding, and TIs tension worked against my finger style a bit too much. Tho that might be me just being a crap player ;)
  • I have fender flatwounds  on mine and I have no complaints.
    I have fender flatwounds  on mine and I have no complaints.
    Not tried them. Might try them on one of my PJ builds...
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Jalapeno said:
    Very very good strings, IF you can cope with the low tension..
    But if you can't, you'll be able to sell the strings on. And there ain't many brands of strings that you can say that about.
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
     To me Chromes are among the very brightest-sounding flats as well as a bit stiff and they tend to stay that way, so if they don't work out for you, maybe take a look at LaBella 760FL (43-104, which are much lighter-feeling than the 760FS 45-105, despite the small difference in gauge, and they have great thump).

Pyramid Golds are a very rich, dark and '60s sounding string. I've had a set on for about 5 years and they're still fab. 

Thomastiks are amazing-feeling at first but I find they have a slightly contemporary, parpy, upper-middy sound (compared to LaBellas or Pyramids). Luscious (and loud) but not exactly woolly.
    @KKJale - you have described exactly why I like Chromes.. 
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Lots of people love them! I suspect they're the best-selling flats. It's just that the OP's needs don't immediately sound like Chromes to me... hopefully though they'll be just the ticket. 
    KKJale said:
    Lots of people love them! I suspect they're the best-selling flats. It's just that the OP's needs don't immediately sound like Chromes to me... hopefully though they'll be just the ticket. 
    I find with rolling the tone off a bit chromes give a wonderful woolly thumpy trad P bass sound on my 64..