Bass Riffs?

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
It's a bit of a well-kept secret on the forum that there are a series of monthly "challenges" which run, with the objective of prompting people to actually make some music (I know, wierd concept!) with their guitars instead of just talking about them or buying and selling them.

There are a range of challenges, from the quick and dirty through to one that usually results in commercial-standard compositions.

This thread gives the detail.

I'm wondering whether we should add another monthly challenge for "Bass Riff", to reflect that we've got a growing number of bassists on the forum now.

You don't need pro-standard recording equipment.  Some submissions have literally been recorded on a phone next to an acoustic guitar.  The focus is on artistic merit rather than amount of make-up.

Thoughts??
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Definitely a good idea.

I know there are plenty of posters here who also dabble in bass and it would be a great idea.

I'd say that a good way to do it would be to pick a track (even a short one) and get members to add their own interpreted bass line to it (or post them playing along to it) 

Will be interesting to see how many fancy it...!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited October 2017
    I'd like this. Even though I'm primarily a guitarist, I've entered a few bass riffs to the current challenges (knowing they'll never win  ), including my entry to this month's RRotm.
    It's not a competition.
    I'd like this. Even though I'm primarily a guitarist, I've entered a few bass riffs to the current challenges (knowing they'll never win  ), including my entry to this month's RRotm.
    You've got a head start on the rest of us then!!!
  • I'd like this. Even though I'm primarily a guitarist, I've entered a few bass riffs to the current challenges (knowing they'll never win  ), including my entry to this month's RRotm.
    I think I'll probably get trounced by you proper bass players.
    It's not a competition.
    I think I need to clarify my capability...  I'm a proper bass player only because I enjoy it more, I never said anything about talent :D
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    You have my interest...
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    I think that makes 4 (!!!) of us already.

Looks like it could be a go-er
    :)

Not quite sure who you're talking to there ... no "proper" bass players here
    :D
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I might join in. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Might be more motivation if the occasional contest had a small prize from say Fender/Daddario/Planet Waves/Dunlop etc. Bonus: Free advertising for the sponsor & higher visibility and participation. 

• I'm interested, as I'm less shy about my bass riff skills than my guitar skills.
    Might be more motivation if the occasional contest had a small prize from say Fender/Daddario/Planet Waves/Dunlop etc. Bonus: Free advertising for the sponsor & higher visibility and participation. 

Strange you should suggest that @Winny_Pooh because Mr Antique and I have been discussing exactly that thing.

Watch out for a Christmas edition of one or more of the challenges ...
    ;)
  • Potentially interested, if I can find the time... 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4945

I'd say that a good way to do it would be to pick a track (even a short one) and get members to add their own interpreted bass line to it (or post them playing along to it) 

Now that is something that interests me as I prefer jamming along to music as bass is not a lead instrument as such. (Awaits the torrent of hate mail).

A track would get me out of my comfort zone too......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Sounds like a good idea. I'd have to suss out how to upload a file, are there instructions anywhere?
    JezWynd said:
    I'd have to suss out how to upload a file, are there instructions anywhere?
    @JezWynd ;

We (theFretBoard) has a paid-for SoundCloud account.  We usually use that for these challenges.

The Solo of the Month works in a similar way.  Find a backing track and then everyone creates a solo to play over the top.  We could do a similar thing for the Bass Riff challenge, if someone has a good supply of copyright-free tracks (across a range of genres) excluding the bass part?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Thanks @TTony. I'll keep an eye out for developments. I don't have any rhythm tracks I'm afraid, I usually play along to my drum machine but that's in storage atm so I'm presently using an RC-3.
  • I could create the occasional backing track for a bass to be added. Maybe others could chip in as well. 
    It's not a competition.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    TTony said:
    for the Bass Riff challenge ... if someone has a good supply of copyright-free tracks (across a range of genres), excluding the bass part?
    In some respects, the bass part defines the genre. There are times when simple, repetitive eighth notes on the root notes will better serve the song than, say, Les Claypool pyrotechnics or Chris Squire high register runs. Who is to say that one approach is "better" than the other.

Taking Claypool as an example, much of his music revolves principally around the drums, bass and vocals. The guitar and any keyboards often add harmonic colours rather taking up most of the available "space". It would be difficult to assemble a "drums and harmonic colours" piece without prior knowledge of what key(s) or mode(s) the bass guitar is likely to employ.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The best thing to do backing track wise IMO would be to have some really, really sparse chords and that's it.

Just a looped chord progression, either synth pads or a single strum of a guitar on each chord. No rhythm, just harmony.

Then the bass line can be any genre you like. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited October 2017
    The best thing to do backing track wise IMO would be to have some really, really sparse chords and that's it.

Just a looped chord progression, either synth pads or a single strum of a guitar on each chord. No rhythm, just harmony.

Then the bass line can be any genre you like. 
    Perhaps also a simple drum part with the kick on the 1 and 3, the snare on the 2 and 4, and 1/8 note hi hats. That way the bass is free to create the rhythm groove.
    It's not a competition.