Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Effect of stress on playing guitar

What's Hot
TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
Ok, I started typing this a load of times and then stopped, because I don't find it natural to talk about this, but strangely, I am more concerned about it as it involves playing guitar than I might be for some other parts of my life.

I am a bit stressed at the moment, work issues, a bit of a health matter, some family stuff all seem to be leading to a lack of ability to play guitar. I mean, the desire is still there, but I sit down pick up a guitar and..........nothing; can't even focus on the simple riffs. (and even can't be a**ed to play them) 

I 'm a home player, but I get (got) a lot of joy, and,ironically wind down, from picking up a guitar and spending time just playing. In my own way.

That seems to have completely stopped at the moment. Anyone relate to this, or, do I need therapy?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    That's been my life all year.
    Happened tonight.

When "Shit" get's above a certain level I could smash the guitars against the wall just for looking at me
    I fall into ruts quite easily and that always impacts my playing.

Practise?
    Ha.
    These days I focus on "Do I want to play at all and if so, will it last more than 5 minutes?"

On a good day I enjoy it but if it's not a good day, someone else can play......I often hear myself saying out loud.."What's the point?"

As for therapy, if you find one that works,...let me know?
    ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    that's a shame, I find that playing is like meditation for me, and is always relaxing

I thought that when you stop doing what you normally enjoy, it's a possible symptom of depression, which is pretty commonplace and treatable. Having said that, if circumstances are extreme, it could be a short-term reactive issue that will heal itself anyway
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    @Alnico - I guess that it may be that 'spike' for me right now.

@ToneControl -thats how i used to be, but just now its like, pick up a guitar and after a few half hearted strums, put it down again.

I'm not usually a moaning sort, just want to know if anyone else has felt like this and got over it, and how?

• I second that @ToneControl ;

I obviously know nothing of anybody's personal circumstances so I'm not suggesting this as anything other than something to consider, but depression has a hideous knack of destroying your enthusiasm for the things you love. It is a recognised symptom so, if you have even an inkling that you may be experiencing depression then please consider asking for help. Your GP or local branch of MIND would be good first ports of call.

It is really important to talk about this stuff and keep ourselves well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I play less if there's a lot of stress from work or family, but not for long

you just need to work out if it's a long-term or a short-term thing
    based on experience with those close to me, if you are finding it hard to be amused by DVDs of your favourite comedians, you're in the club  with a large number of people, and need a visit to your GP to get rebooted, rather than putting up with it

if not, it's probably just a short-term phase that you will move on from on when the external stress decreases.
    er, I also don't spend all my time trying to play other people's music properly, which probably makes for a more relaxing experience
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    All I can suggest is trying to listen to loads of different types of music whilst exercising, this kills two birds with one stone as the exercise kills depression and stress and finding new music might get you inspired to play again. All easier said than done though, good luck mate.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    @mikem8634 - Thanks, The thing is I find it so variable. One day I am fine and the next ...... and it can be days or weeks in between.

I struggle to link that to medical depression but welcome the thoughts and advice.

I just want to get back to enjoying my guitar......
    @koss59 - the exercising point is interesting. I row for exercise and sport and at this time of year it moves mostly to indoor machines and is not a regular.

I regularly feel like i need to try new music but that desire is also lost with my lost desire to play guitar.

I will add that I still function perfectly well at work .

• @TADodger Fair enough, I was hoping that I was over-reacting. Does it feel like a rut? Could it perhaps be helped by trying something new and different? New bit of kit or collaborator? New playing routine? A target to aim for?

Those are the types of things that have helped me freshen things up and reinvigorate in the past.
  • RogerRoger Frets: 20
    Playing guitar, washing up, walking the dog, re-wiring your pedal board! It’s  all meditation! It’s not about sitting motionless cross legged, it’s about blocking out everything else in your life and just being.

I practice martial arts and what you learn is that process and repetition of process is the key to learning, not because you do one thing more but because you do everything else less. If the guitar is stressing you out stop and mow the lawn. We’re pretty primitive beasts it’s just about balancing the things we do
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've developed some hand strain when I've been stressed but could never keep away, I just enjoy it too much even more so as I get older. 
  • Echoing @Roger and @koss59 I can't agree enough with the importance of exercise and meditation. Exercise creates all the feel-good chemicals and meditation creates all the feel-good states.
    @mikem8634 - Are you proposing GAS as a solution. I could easily justify that   :)

@Roger - I really don't think its the guitar stressing me, I am concerned that it is other things causing stress and putting me off playing guitar. Hadn't thought of it the other way around. 
    @mikem8634 - I agree with you about exercise, rowing is probably my second favourite thing after guitar (relatively), followed closely by riding / racing motorcycles and it (rowing) really is cathartic. Motorcycles are adrenaline highs and guitar playing is meditation.

Somehow all of that is not working right now.
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 380
    edited November 2017
    Could help, it's worked for me. GAS that is.

Exercise-wise it's hiking with the dog for me. A good audio-book (Moby Dick atm) and I'm away. I come back with all manner of creativity going on. Then, when I'm shattered, full of endorphins and good ideas, that seems to be the best time to play guitar.
    edited November 2017
    @mikem8634 - sorry, what could help, GAS?
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited November 2017
    Bit of a long shot, but have you tried recording a few original tracks into a laptop? I find this to be a very soothing exercise, as creativity is a very powerful experience, and mood extremes tends to lead to interesting stuff!

Start with a chord progression and then add some lead/embellishments. Then work out some other sections, verse/chorus/bridge, etc. If you can't sing, work out some melodies with a cheap 25-key midi keyboard and a piano VST.

I actually lost complete interest in guitar playing due to a lack of focus, but doing this simple thing brought me back. I've also turned into a bit of a handy composer, which I never ever expected! 
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TADodger said:
    @mikem8634 - sorry, what could help, GAS?
    Yep, bit of post cross-over there.

Last time I was in a rut a couple of new VST plug-ins helped massively. Got me thinking in different ways. Previously getting my hands on a 12-string electric did the same. Oh, and an ebow.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Anyone that's passionate about something will have experienced patches where other things get in the way and distract you from what you are passionate about. That's life. Don't worry.

Unless it gets to that point where your mind is disproportionately obsessing about certain things to the detriment of everything else. Unless it gets to the point that the curtains come down and you exist within a very restricted space  where the main objective is to get to the end of the day, so you can go to bed and sleep for a couple of hours, before fear of the next day and what mundane things it might bring keep you awake in a puddle of sweat for the most of the night.

If it gets like this, then you need to seek assistance. I did.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom