Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Effect of stress on playing guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    @mikem8634either you or me are slow, can't decide which ;) 

Seems like a great excuse for GAS.

So, I really need someone to buy my Eastman T184 semi hollow (see classified adds) so I can buy a solution to my, possible, stress related guitar playing interruption. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewal said:
    Anyone that's passionate about something will have experienced patches where other things get in the way and distract you from what you are passionate about. That's life. Don't worry.

Unless it gets to that point where your mind is disproportionately obsessing about certain things to the detriment of everything else. Unless it gets to the point that the curtains come down and you exist within a very restricted space  where the main objective is to get to the end of the day, so you can go to bed and sleep for a couple of hours, before fear of the next day and what mundane things it might bring keep you awake in a puddle of sweat for the most of the night.

If it gets like this, then you need to seek assistance. I did.
    Very well articulated indeed, accurate and visceral, hats off sir.
    @mikem8634, @Freebird, thank you for your input, I will try your suggestions.

@ewal - I regularly wake up in the night sweating with my mind full of what I haven't done / need to do, and I expect that most people with mildly demanding jobs/ family's /homes probably do the same. The reason that I posted is because, right now, for whatever reason, I just don't seem to want to play my guitar and i want to know if others ever have that feeling, and what to do about it. As yet I don't feel the things that you state and hope that I never do, but I thank you for sharing and, hoping that it is a distraction, I will definitely try not to worry.

• ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Look after yourself. xx
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    Thanks man. All advice is appreciated.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited November 2017
    TADodger said:

I am a bit stressed at the moment, work issues, a bit of a health matter, some family stuff all seem to be leading to a lack of ability to play guitar.
    Are you only finding a lack of focus and enjoyment with guitar, or is this extending to other areas of life that you value?
    If it's just guitar then it's unlikely to be a problem.
    I've just got in from playing a gig, had fun night.  But it's not always fun.  Nothing to stress about.
    But if you're not finding enjoyment generally then have a chat with an expert in these things.  Losing general enjoyment and focus isn't what you want.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    GAS is a very short term solution which can actually be negative in my experience. 

If the rest of your life is fine but guitar playing is not inspiring you, just stop playing the guitar. 

If neither your finances not other people depend on you playing then just don't, it's bound to feel like a dead end occasionally under those circumstances. 

Doing other things for a while is not only healthy for you, it's healthy for your guitar playing. You'll come back to it having absorbed new ideas without even realising it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    edited November 2017
  • Change change change

i learnt along time ago all the so called coping methods are useless in managing stresses for me the only solution is to make a change. Something when stressed that is often hard to do. But ultimately my stress is always less when I have pushed my self to break the vicious circle.

i think people me included at times just get stuck in a loop.
    Where we want the perfect outcome and everybody is happy so we stay in the loop rather than go against that.

Note it wont be the perfect solution to please all but just do it the outcome is always far less damaging than you expect.

ultimately change things up at work talk to your boss tell them this ain't working same with family.

health get it sorted if needed take the time drop stuff that makes the health worse and tell people that's why you are doing this.

i walked away from a situation with my sister last year where she no longer speaks to me 12 months down the road. I know it was the right thing to do took me a lot to do it and one level it does not make my world complete. What I do know and can live a whole better and rationalise if she cannot see the damage she was inflicting on me and people around her. That's her problem not mine and my stress level is way less for not being in her recurring mess.

i naturally fall into being a people pleaser in all aspects of my life. Which ultimately leads to stress. It's taken me time but now I am still a people pleasure I have just learnt there are times you have to change and remove yourself from the equation

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    edited November 2017
    @TADodger I explored the possible medical side because you mentioned stress and therapy, but it could well be nothing like that

The other side to a lack of interest in playing is boredom with what you are doing with the guitar
    My solution to keeping guitar playing over the years has been writing music:
    get a multitrack program for your computer, and compose. The way that chord progressions drag out different solos and arrangements from you is much more interesting than just playing the old standards.

Also: can I ask what kinds of guitar you play
    Sometimes I don't feel like playing electric, but I also play acoustic, so can vary what I play quite a lot
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Get a black book, write your thoughts down at those times, keep them to yourself.  Don't analyse, just write them down.  If your thoughts are probes, don't try and lose them, just write them down.
    new page each time you site down.

it is surprisingly effective at clearing our brains .  Almost like cleaning the cache of a computer.
    also it takes longer to write them down than to think about them, so it slows that thought and worry process down (you know the one where all sorts of thoughts just keep rushing into your brain) and many of them just disappear or go away.

you can choose to, or not to, look back at them at any time if you wish.  You can decide if you want to share them with anyone close or not at all.

yoU may find that they become a great source of lyrics for songs ! many great creative thinkers and writers, and musicians, have gone through periods of worry, stress, angst, depressions etc. And that has been key contribution to their outputs

wish you well 

when the guitar thing happens to me, I just put thinlizzy songs on, put a whole load of gain/overdrive on , put the headphones on an just pretend :). Sometimes works for me 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    take more drugs...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Thanks all for the thoughts and suggestions. 

I am booked to go to the Northampton Jam next month so I need to practice and maybe focussing on the song list will be an incentive. 

I did post primarily to see if others experience losing interest in playing guitar for relaxation (i don't gig so it is only playing for pleasure) and if so what they did about it. I probably hadn't really thought that I should sort out the stress as I figured we all get stressed, so the replies have also made me consider this.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    This sounds very much like the icy fingers of depression creeping into your life. As others have said, about the first thing it robs you of is the benefit of the things that usually help. 

Could be just the common case of loosing lots of daylight this time of year, could be more. Or both together. 

Even if it’s not this, it’s really worth checking and eliminating the possibility. 

And when things start to turn back the other way, which they will, your desire to spend time with the guitar wilol come back. If it’s upsetting you now though, don’t feel you need to push it. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    edited November 2017
    What a thought provoking thread. Very interesting contributions from both ToneControl and dazzajl.

I can see so clearly that a serene state of mind....perhaps several days into a holiday.......is conducive to wanting to get home to play a guitar or search for an inspiring new guitar. And that the absence of that enthusiasm might be a warning sign. In fact.....the absence of enthusiasm to go on holiday might be a warning sign.

I have now concluded that I might be beyond awesome (forgive me) at handing out this kind of advice to other people but hopeless when self diagnosis is required. I cannot feel serene unless all of the small group of people around me are safe, warm and content. And that is not going to be the case for a while.
    I can say with certainty that alcohol is not the answer.

Here is one practical idea. If you have an acoustic guitar around, persuade yourself that during your period of low interest, it would very sensible to maintain your calluses, and  to strum or fingerpick for a set period every day, maybe while you are watching the News or something. When your enthusiasm returns, this will surely help.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Skipped said:
    ... I might be beyond awesome (forgive me) at handing out this kind of advice to other people but hopeless when self diagnosis is required. 
    That happens to most sufferers.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I'm in a similar place. Lots going on (12-year relationship breakup, house sale, health issues, work too). I've done more buying and selling than ever, as it's a welcome distraction,  even if not always very sensible. I find it hard to find the desire to play and when I do it's often for little time as I'm not feeling it. But, acceptance is part of it. I'm not in the right place for it but I will be again.

There are worse things to try than the Headspace meditation app. I might not practice more but it helps with general emotional wellbeing. And counselling is always worth trying.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    I have suffered depression and  thank God, came through the other side   intact with my family/job/interests also. I was on medication for a while but also was able to give it  up.

My point here is  that you should be sure that what you're calling 'stress' isn't actually depression. From what you write, I would suspect that it could be. I had a similar situation thinking that my work related stress was all that was affecting me.  I found out that  the stress had led to depression which was impacting all parts of my life including my guitar playing. Go see a doctor and talk it through. There's no stigma these days and, in fact you'll be joining a very big club!

Just hang in with the guitar playing and don't try to force issues. It will come back. Good luck brother!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ^^^ THIS ^^^