Rexter Guitars - custom painting, restoration & refinishing

What's Hot

Comments

• rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    Ok, someone said keep it coming - let me know when I should stop!

I need to revisit this tomorrow and finish levelling and buffing the sides and back but this thing is already looking so crazily luminous I had to post a (non-glamourous) picture... 1964 Jazzmaster Candy Apple Red (silver basecoat). This one took a lot of time and work so glad to see it working out.

Also got more clear on the IBM JM (I love acronyms) and the headstock painted and some clear on the neck.

Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Finished the 1964 Jazzmaster today. Starting to like CAR now...

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SaszSasz Frets: 10
    Oh my lord. These are just beautiful!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    rexter said:
    Cor. I've got a custom 51 P bass thinline body on the way that would look great in a sparkly colour.. 

..I'd planned to stain it amber and do a tru-oil finish..

But sparkly... sparkly....
    That sounds like a tasty prospect! Would love to help out if it’s crying out for a custom colour metallic, still need to reassemble my own p-bass that I painted burgundy mist a few months back. Drop me a message anytime!
    I've had a different idea ;)

I am going to do the P bass in a stain and tru oil, but.. I now have a Stingray body on the way. And for that one, well.. I really do want a sparkly finish. Fancy doing it? ;)
    tFB Trader
    ^^^ By sparkly do you mean metal flake? That can be done but I probably need to create a separate booth for that as those bloody flakes get everywhere! Had to spend about 3 day’s cleaning after last time! But yeah, would love to help!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    Cracking stuff @rexter ;

Its great being able to flex your creative muscles :)

I did a blue metal flake strat in a separate room months ago. I moved it to the drying area about 2 hours later and hung it next to one of my test bodies. The test body ended up with metal sparkles all over it! Horribly messy stuff. For the love of god, use a separate gun too!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    rexter said:
    ^^^ By sparkly do you mean metal flake? That can be done but I probably need to create a separate booth for that as those bloody flakes get everywhere! Had to spend about 3 day’s cleaning after last time! But yeah, would love to help!
    Actually I'm not quite sure what I do mean ;)

I suspect it might be a case of I send you some pics of ideas and you let me know how feasible ;)
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    Cracking stuff @rexter ;

Its great being able to flex your creative muscles :)

I did a blue metal flake strat in a separate room months ago. I moved it to the drying area about 2 hours later and hung it next to one of my test bodies. The test body ended up with metal sparkles all over it! Horribly messy stuff. For the love of god, use a separate gun too!
    Likewise man thanks! Really loving seeing how your bursts are getting so good! Yeah... the metalflake I shot covered my booth with flake and lost me a LOT of time in cleanup. I use the Fuji HVLP system which is amazing, but somewhat limiting in terms of buying new guns as they're about £250 a pop. Cheapest 3rd party one is about £95 of which I have a couple. Definitely need to quarantine the flake to one, yes!!

At least it looks pretty, but I still harbour such a grudge against this one that I haven't cleared it yet!

I've got a couple of personal projects coming up which will have a bound sparkle top which won't be so bad to do. Heavy coat of clear on the top over the basecoat and then 'dry flake' them I think. All in a giant box to catch the mess!

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    rexter said:
    Actually I'm not quite sure what I do mean ;)

I suspect it might be a case of I send you some pics of ideas and you let me know how feasible ;)
    Sounds great  - send them over when you're ready!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    tFB Trader
    Jazzmaster body, Burgundy Mist - Alder, 1.9kg, fully USA vintage spec. £240 shipped in the UK.

Ready for wet-sanding and buffing. Default will be a factory, high gloss mirror finish, but if you want it and prefer an aged look or light relic you can specify that as I'm just waiting for some abrasives to arrive. Bear in mind as the final sanding and buffing is yet to be done it will look even better than this! Should be able to get it to you in time for Xmas. This is the lighter, vintage correct Burgundy Mist, not the darker, purple-toned paint that sometimes crops up.

Sherwood Green Strat body, USA 60s routs and contours, Alder - will check weigh today - £250 shipped in the UK. 

Gorgeous... Proper vintage hue of Sherwood Green. So much flake in this one. Again, it is waiting to be wet sanded and buffed, so multiple the effect by 10 once that's done! Should be stunning. 

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • Stunning finishes rexter... And those pics show your work to be as quality as anyone else's.  Sadly, I finish my own guitars and use matte Polyurethane for a modern look. However, if I ever need a gloss Nitro finish done then I will be in touch :) 
    Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Thanks very much! Yep hit me up if the need ever arises.

Probably won't be in the spraybooth much over the coming weeks although have a lot to wrap up.

Here's an odd couple I worked on yesterday... an aged Inca Silver Telecaster for a member here and a Shergold 6 string bass for someone at offsetguitars.com - in a rather bright Competition Orange alike...

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • rexter said:
    Thanks very much! Yep hit me up if the need ever arises.

Probably won't be in the spraybooth much over the coming weeks although have a lot to wrap up.

Here's an odd couple I worked on yesterday... an aged Inca Silver Telecaster for a member here and a Shergold 6 string bass for someone at offsetguitars.com - in a rather bright Competition Orange alike...

Will do =)  BTW, love the orange - did a similar matte version on one of my recent builds.

Merry Christmas 
    Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260
    Finishes are looking beautiful there, Rexter.
    tFB Trader
    @KempGuitars ;; yep I was just browsing your thread earlier and saw the orange one - looks awesome!

and thanks @rze99! will be an update for you after between xmas and New year. Itching to get to the workshop again. Other things in the way this week.

Something a bit different from me - a couple of aged Teles. Both for sale at £230 shipped in the UK

www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 168
    Very cool mate...love the metallics, but not enough ageing for me - how far would you go relic-wise ?
    I'm talking MJT-level...
    tFB Trader
    Cheers schmo!
    these two teles are done to my personal preference I guess - which is a pretty light relic i suppose.

But... relicing has become an art and a style in its own right now and my ultimate goal is customer satisfaction, so at the risk of sounding sleazy, I’ll go as far as anyone wants me to!

All of my bodies start out with the same level of intensive prep as if they were to sport a factory finish which I think helps keep them looking quite legit. Got to admit it’s sometimes pretty painful to put that first ding on them!
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 168
    Rexter, your stuff looks truly great.

I'm a big relic fan, but like a certain amount/location/overall look - I'm picky I guess !

For example, I can't stand what Suhr does as a relic, not my bag at all, there are others too I'm not so big a fan of...

So far, the MJT stuff is my fave - but with talent here in the UK and the poor £:$ plus import etc its a no-brainer. I'd be looking to put something together in the new year, I have a great builder to possibly do the work but need my hand held re compatible neck fit etc. Hopefully talk next year - keep up the great work & all the best with your new business...

Graeme
    tFB Trader
    Cheers man! Your last paragraph is partly what made me decide to take this from a long term hobby (sorry, obsession!) to something more. I love MJT stuff/Rutters/Musikraft etc but prices of importing as you say, are now pretty prohibitive so I figured I could offer something similar to UK/EU buyers. Of course I'm not the only one with that thought, so it's a buyer's market now!  =)
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk