Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What? Earplugs?!

What's Hot
So I joined a band a few months back and after lots of practice we are about to embark on some gigs. The only problem i have is after every practice my ears are ringing. When we first started to practice i bought some ear plugs form Boots, Just the clear ribbed ones you buy for flights etc. I tried them but just felt they pretty much made me unable to hear. I had real difficulty hearing notes and in the end just decided It was better without so I could at least hear what i was playing.  
Can anyone recommend some really good earplugs that reduce the noise but still let you hear what you are playing? 

Thanks 

Slightly deaf guitarist 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1777
    edited December 2017
    I've just ordered some ACS Pro 17. These are the custom fit ones molded to your ear'ole. They're not cheap but they're a lot cheaper than hearings aids and losing your hearing.

I had the moulds taken at my local Boots after a hearing test.

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/hearing-protection/pro-series
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • These look the business - Thanks 
  • I use ACS Pro 17 ear plugs. They take the overall level down, but I don't lose hearing any sound frequencies in a band rehearsal. I also don't end up with ringing ears after the session, and our rhythm guitarist is loud.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Earpeace are the most comfortable I've tried and I feel that I hear everything more clearly thanks to the attenuated volume. I'm mad on them, wearing them at gigs, in the cinema and in loud bars.
  • Another Pro 17 user here, the perfect fitted moulded ear plugs that allow me to still hear all frequencies, just a lower volume. Esp when playing with loud drummers!

For £120 it was a bit steep to start with but have been using them for almost 4 years and worth every penny!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    I use the non-custom ACS earplugs - marvellous things ! They attenuate - you can still hear stuff.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Can I make a radical suggestion and suggest you are maybe all playing too loud?  

I've played God knows how many hours in bands and only once did a session get out of hand (the drummer's fault of course) and we ended up with temporary deafness.   Despite what others might tell you this is not necessarily an occupational hazard.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ ^ This, although it rarely happens from experience. :/ Don't play at full volume between songs is another thing to aim for Another ACS ER-17 user here - I play rock and go to loud gigs or trade shows. They took a few goes to get used to but are worth it.
  • Neill said:

I've played God knows how many hours in bands and only once did a session get out of hand (the drummer's fault of course) and we ended up with temporary deafness.   Despite what others might tell you this is not necessarily an occupational hazard.  
    Disagree massively, though I’m guessing you don’t play modern heavy music.

It is just not safe to be within a few feet of a heavy rock/metal drummer without ear plugs. Hard snare rimshots are dangerously loud at close range as are crashes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Neill said:

It is just not safe to be within a few feet of a heavy rock/metal drummer without ear plugs. Hard snare rimshots are dangerously loud at close range as are crashes.

Don't play heavy rock/metal, but it's still true.  Drummers are noisy wee bastids, snares & crash cymbals are indeed the worst. Used to play jazz with a gentle old soul on the drums no problem, but he retired, new chap is way too loud - so am now wearing my earplugs when he's around.  Covers band drummer uses his kit for anger management therapy, totally OTT volumes - always earplugs.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • +1 for Pro17s. They're brilliant. Mine are now 5 years old and not quite sealing in one ear (obviously it's my ears that have changed, not the moulds). 

I describe their importance thusly: "As a musician, if you fucked your hearing, you'd obviously move heaven and earth to fix it, so why not spend 120 quid now and make sure you don't have to, because you can't."
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I use the older ones from ACS...ER-15s which they were agents for before their own Pro range came out, I should really get some new impressions taken us I;m way past the recommended life of the molds.

One of the best gear purchases ever, as I do have tinitus from various gigs/rehearsals when I was younger, and that damage has been done, so I really don't want it to get any worse (and it hasn't since having these).
  • Thanks for all the feedback, Sounds like the Pro17s could be the ones to go for. 
  • NeillNeill Frets: 941
    Neill said:

Don't get me wrong, I like volume as much as anyone, but the OP is just starting out and I think it's better to advise someone in his situation not to immediately run out and buy earplugs all round - why not just try turning it down a bit.  If you play pub gigs, functions etc you have to learn to get a good sound at reasonable volume though I agree the problem is usually the drummer and that's often difficult to resolve..

• Most people on here wouldn't begrudge a hundred quid or so to make their whole rig sound better.  I thought I'd been reasonably careful over the years but now find myself with a resonance in my right ear which makes everything - and everybody - sound like I'm listening to a busted speaker cone.  I have an appointment with a consultant in January but I reckon he'll just look at me with that 'it's your own feckin fault' face.

Looking on the bright side - I can't hear the beeper when the dishwasher's finished!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I’d look at the Read Audio molds. They’re much better than the ACS Pro 17’s (particularly if you’re a singer)... I have both and haven’t used the ACS since getting the Reads.

http://www.read-audio.com/
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I just have some cheap rubber ear plugs that cost me about 15 quid. I find that they block out too much treble when they’re both in, so the trick that I use is to leave one in and one out.

Most of the time when I get temp hearing loss it’s mostly in one ear - the ear facing the drummer. So I just have one earplug in the ear on the drummer’s side, and though the other ear I can hear my amp normally. Never had a problem with either ear after I started doing that.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    If you only wear one plug in a high noise environment your un-plugged ear gets more damaged. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1777
    simonk said:
    I’d look at the Read Audio molds. They’re much better than the ACS Pro 17’s (particularly if you’re a singer)... I have both and haven’t used the ACS since getting the Reads.

http://www.read-audio.com/
    In what way are they better? I'm intrigued
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    Yes, another ACS Pro 17 user here. I started out with the ACS...ER-15s but back then they didn't attenuate well across a range of frequencies - so they got relegated for use inside the crash helmet on the motorbike. The ACS Pros are really good now.

Get yourself down to Boots the Chemist and book an appointment to have moulds done of your lug'oles.