Netflix recommendation - "Dark"

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
Finished watching this the other day - it's Netflix's first German commission and it is brilliant.

You have to work very hard to keep up and that's a bit of a novelty these days - give it a go 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Watching it atm.  Good so far.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive watched it - unusual and good. As you said, harder work but interesting 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Now you have finished that you can start Toast of London, funniest thing ever created. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    Just finished watching the first season the other week, and watched it all over again before I start season 2 – given its complexity I wanted to make sure I knew what was going on.

Highly recommended for its compelling, challenging and strangely believable plot. It’s beautifully filmed and has a great score too.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Set up beautifully for next season too.
    I'd highly recommend Merryland Murders if you want a little light relief ;)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    I need to do Dark season 2 - although I feel the need to remind myself of some of the detail from S1 before I do 
    Red ones are better. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I need to re-watch season 1 before getting in to season 2.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    It’s definitely worth re-watching. You spot stuff you missed first time round. It also makes sense why Michael killed himself in the first episode 
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    Dark is superb. But yeah definitely watch season 1 again because it took me so long to work out what was what at the beginning of season 2. 
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited July 2019
    Dark is amazing. Either rewatch season 1 or do a YouTube catch up / season 1 explained vid before starting season 2 if it’s been a while, it’s too complex otherwise
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    I think I'll find a YouTube summary or plot explainer page - I remember it was very convoluted! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Thanks for the recommendation. I've been pontificating whether to watch it or not so now I am intrigued.  :)  
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    TimmyO said:
    I think I'll find a YouTube summary or plot explainer page - I remember it was very convoluted! 
    Season 2 is no less complex. Every bit as good though I thought 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I've just recommended this to missus munckee based on this thread. She is a harsh judge and formidable when disappointed. You lot better be right : )
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15924
    edited July 2019
    Just finished it and spent most of the ten episodes shouting at the screen.....who the fuck is that?

If that wasn't annoying enough, one of the main leads,Jonas,is soooooooo slow and sometimes doesn't speak at all ,even when asked a direct question. He makes James Stewart look like a speed head

Is series two more of the same with some of the same characters or what?

tae be or not tae be
    So I'm 4 episodes in, I've just got to the point where what I think is going to happen will probably be better than what actually happens (see Lost, Game of Thrones, Liar, most movies) so I might just stop.

I tried to explain what was happening to my 14 year old daughter who thought I was nuts.  Missus munckee and I have to pause it a couple of times an episode to recap who is who and was has happened so far.

Great series.
    Watched both series now.  Missus munkee was furious with the ending and actually shouted "What the F##k!!"

Can't wait for series 3, although they haven't even started filming yet!
  • Might have to give this one a go, sounds intriguing!

If you guys enjoyed this German show and have an appetite for more then I highly recommend 'Babylon Berlin'. It's a Sky Deutschland production, and is apparently the biggest budget TV show ever made in Germany (55 million Euros allegedly). It's a neo-noir crime/murder/vice/pollical type drama set in the Weimar Republic. It's very much the era of Caberet style debauchery with the subtle rise of fascism on one side and Communism on the other side, lurking menacingly in the background. Absolutely brilliant stuff.

Weirdly, also has a cameo from Bryan Ferry doing a turn in one of the cabaret joints!
    I'm glad you and your missus enjoyed it @munckee. I suppose you have time to watch both series again before the third instalment comes out -- let's face it, there's plenty to get your head around!

I sincerely hope the writers/producers have a clear ending in mind. With a series this good, it'd be travesty to ruin it with some underdeveloped conclusion.
    Series 3 is up and ready to binge!  :)