Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The 2018 theFB Challenge **Now OPEN**

What's Hot

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    paulnb57 said:
    TTony said:
    poopot said:
    Well I’ve just scored a swamp ash strat body... so providing the theme is “build a swamp ash strat” I’m in!!!!
    I suppose we could make the theme "build a XXX  -or a swamp ash strat", just to include you
    ;)
    Im awaiting delivery of a Swamp Ash Mustang body.......
    @TTony there’s your theme....

build something “swampy” :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    poopot said:
    paulnb57 said:
    TTony said:
    poopot said:
    Well I’ve just scored a swamp ash strat body... so providing the theme is “build a swamp ash strat” I’m in!!!!
    I suppose we could make the theme "build a XXX  -or a swamp ash strat", just to include you
    ;)
    Im awaiting delivery of a Swamp Ash Mustang body.......
    @TTony there’s your theme....

build something “swampy” :)
    hmmmm... time for a Swamp Thing inspired les paul relic???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8774
    TTony said:

• decide what  your own challenge is going to be - preferably an item/topic that's going to be of interest to people here!

Sobering up and finding work count?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Well that raffle prize hasn't really progressed past sanding sealer, needs a restart !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    Was it 26th December this year, or next year? ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    m_c said:
    Was it 26th December this year, or next year? ;-)
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, ok, so I was queuing outside House of Lewis-hams waiting for the doors to open so I could save 50p on some soft furnishings that I didn't want, and 3d on some Christmas wrapping paper that I'll lose by next year.

Either that, or I was recovering slowly and painfully from a slightly over-consumption of wine the previous day.
    :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.

The theme for the 2018 Q1 challenge is ...

"(Santa didn't bring it so) I had to make it myself"

The thinking is that it's something you wanted but no-one  bought it for you  as a Christmas present.  Perhaps they couldn't because it can't be bought.

The only constraint is that the whatever-it-is should be completed by end Q1.  Ideally it should be guitar (or amp, or FX, or ...) related.  There is no budget limit.  

The objective is to create something and to share the process with the rest of the forum through regular updates on your own challenge thread.  Show (off) what goes well and share tips & techniques on how you did it, and to seek help from others on what goes not-quite-so-well.

TTony said:

To "play" you need to;
    • decide what  your own challenge is going to be - preferably an item/topic that's going to be of interest to people here!
    • start your own challenge thread here, sometime in January
    • keep the thread updated with progress 
    • ideally, comment on - and support - all the other participants.
    As the timescale is 3 months, the challenge can be reasonably substantial (ie not "changing my strings"), but other than the timescale there are no constraints.  There is no budget limit for this one, there is no specific thing that has to be made or modded.

:)
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1211
    Lightweight ;-)

My idea should work nicely. Are we allowed to start before the 1st?
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I guess I could have a go as I'm just getting a project underway - I'm building a headless midi-only guitar. I have a cheap donor headless guitar but I haven't decided yet whether to use the neck and body or just hardware. Still thinking about that ...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27574
    I am in. I will be rebuilding Sporkaster 2, as an even more awesome offset 7er. That intonates and has a trem that doesn't bind.

I'm thinking post-metal Musiclander as a general theme.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    I'm in, too. My challenge is to learn electronics and build a pedal:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/121368/c18q1-learn-electronics-and-build-a-pedal?new=1

Lots of new entrants

I'll update the list on page1 tomorrow, with links to the individual threads.
  • After the previous discussions about an early 2018 Challenge I started mine early as:
    (a) I was confident that my dear wife wouldn't give me a 56 Strat for Christmas (I was right), and
    (b) my workshop is too cold by mid January so I had to get most of the work out of the way early.

Progress to date is here www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/115816/1956-stratocaster

(a) I was confident that my dear wife wouldn't give me a 56 Strat for Christmas (I was right), and

You'd have felt right daft if she had though ...
    ;)

Say that you're going to get it done by end Q1 and I'll gladly add you into the list of entrants.
  • I'm in with my Elvish fantasy guitar idea originally mooted some time ago. I'll get a thread up when I've done some photos

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Yes. I'm in too. I have a very crappy Tele partscaster sitting forgotten in the shed. Been meaning to get around to changing all the pickups and electrics, nut and bridge saddles. Basically rebuild the thing as it sounded terrible and couldn't keep tune. Ill start a thread with some pics later
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    I'm in with my long awaited (to me) jazz box tart-up.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    I am struggling to think of one, mainly because I have already started a few projects.

Index post (#2 in the thread) now updated with links to the entrants' thread/s where started

WezV said:
    I am struggling to think of one, mainly because I have already started a few projects.
    I don't think that "already started" is grounds for exclusion given the "flexible" criteria for this challenge (and the fact that at least one other is very already started).  Pick the one that would be most interesting to share?