SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Nylon String Crossover guitar with cutaway

What's Hot
Looking for a nice sounding nylon string acoustic. Plugged in sound is not important. In fact, if it doesnt have any pickup, thats fine too. Must have a crossover neck though, i.e. not quite as wide or fat as a full Spanish. Unless you are near to Oxford will probably need posting.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    There used to be a few at various price points in the Crafter range.  Sheehans used to be the importer, but they've gone now, so you might have to go second-hand.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    what budget?

my recent research has revealed that many of these are made with a stiffer top than a classical, to avoid feedback on stage. 
    Nylon strings are extremely low tension, so need very light bracing to project a full sound, so be wary of heavier and over-braced tops
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Happily pay several hundred for the right one. I tried a higher end Yamaha years ago and sold it on for exactly the reason you gave @ToneControl - it felt acoustically dead compared to my ancient Yamaha CGX111SC. Ideally I'd find one built purely for acoustic playing with no pickup.
  • HerbHerb Frets: 1
    I believe Alhambra do a crossover. Maybe to order though.
  • Hi Chalky - I have a Yamaha CGX122MCC Electro Classical Guitar, Natural that I'm looking to sell. PM me for details if you so wish.
    Hi Chalky - I have a Yamaha CGX122MCC Electro Classical Guitar, Natural that I'm looking to sell. PM me for details if you so wish.
    Hi @Frank_Blank - by sheer coincidence I ordered one of those from PMT last week as they had it on a special at £199 delivered!  Seemed like a good price to me, but if yours is notably cheaper, please let me know. Thanks.
    Chalky said:
    Hi Chalky - I have a Yamaha CGX122MCC Electro Classical Guitar, Natural that I'm looking to sell. PM me for details if you so wish.
    Hi @Frank_Blank - by sheer coincidence I ordered one of those from PMT last week as they had it on a special at £199 delivered!  Seemed like a good price to me, but if yours is notably cheaper, please let me know. Thanks.
    has it arrived? what do you think of it?
    edited January 2018
    @ToneControl ;I cancelled the order and bought @Frank_Blank's at a very good price and we managed to do the usual motorway services handover Top man!

Its neck is slimmer than the full Classical but not as 'electric-like' as a proper crossover like a Cordoba Fusion for example. The biggest downer to me is that it doesnt have a truss rod like my much older Yamaha CGX110SC. Purely my fault in not checking the modern spec. So there is a limit on how low I can get the action to make it sweeter for playing chord melody. Other than that its a fine resonant guitar and I'm very pleased with it, thanks to @Frank_Blank !
  • Chalky said:
    @ToneControl ;I cancelled the order and bought @Frank_Blank's at a very good price and we managed to do the usual motorway services handover Top man!

Its neck is slimmer than the full Classical but not as 'electric-like' as a proper crossover like a Cordoba Fusion for example. The biggest downer to me is that it doesnt have a truss rod like my much older Yamaha CGX110SC. Purely my fault in not checking the modern spec. So there is a limit on how low I can get the action to make it sweeter for playing chord melody. Other than that its a fine resonant guitar and I'm very pleased with it, thanks to @Frank_Blank !
    A pleasure Sir, hope it brings you much enjoyment.
    Chalky said:

is it a flat fingerboard?
    Chalky said:

Yes it is.
    Chalky said:
    Chalky said:

Yes it is.
    what's the action like anyway? I might get one as a variation against my Avalon crossover nylon
  • Yamaha ntx for the win
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Chalky said:
    Chalky said:
    @ToneControl ;;I cancelled the order and bought @Frank_Blank's at a very good price and we managed to do the usual motorway services handover Top man!

Yes it is.
    what's the action like anyway? I might get one as a variation against my Avalon crossover nylon

The action is perfectly fine, just not as low as my 'extra super low action' I have on my old one, where I flattened out the neck with the truss rod and also shaved and lowered the bridge saddle right down.  It also has an extra 1/8 inch wider fretboard.  Its quite a bit louder than my old one too.
    Chalky said:
    Chalky said:
    Chalky said:
    @ToneControl ;;I cancelled the order and bought @Frank_Blank's at a very good price and we managed to do the usual motorway services handover Top man!

Yes it is.

The action is perfectly fine, just not as low as my 'extra super low action' I have on my old one, where I flattened out the neck with the truss rod and also shaved and lowered the bridge saddle right down.  It also has an extra 1/8 inch wider fretboard.  Its quite a bit louder than my old one too.
    I've ordered one. Let's see if they can actually source one
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Chalky said:
    Chalky said:
    Chalky said:

Yes it is.

I've ordered one. Let's see if they can actually source one
    Did you end up getting one? I'm looking at this as an option.
    @streethawk - if you are keen to get one let me know and you can have mine in exchange for some switches and pots that I know you sell. Its got a case so postage would only cost you how much your favourite postal or courier service charges.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Chalky said:
    @streethawk - if you are keen to get one let me know and you can have mine in exchange for some switches and pots that I know you sell. Its got a case so postage would only cost you how much your favourite postal or courier service charges.
    Pm'd.  :)  
    The second one they sent was OK. First one had unfinished frets
    Nothing like the sound of a handmade £5k classical of course, but hardly a fair comparison

Beware the sharp edge on the top (where your right forearm rests), I found it very uncomfortable.
    I tried buying a "guitar sleeve", but in the end a cheap £8 or so arm rest from India via ebay did the trick, and made it look more expensive. Set up and pickup are fine for the price
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    @Chalky ; @streethawk Did you guys do a deal on the Yammy? I'm looking for something like that...

R.