D
    o
    o
    x

A
    o
    o
    o
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    German 6th that resolves to a minor key
    makes my hair stand on end
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    F#min7+11

2x2200

Funny, I was going to say F#m11 but I play...

I think it’s used in Fairport’s ‘Who Knows where the time goes?’ where the initial chord sequence is...

E | F#m11 | E | F#m11 |
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    Clarky said:
    Neapolitan every time!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I am self taught (self learnt?!?!) so have little clue about theory - so excuse the stupidity to follow - 

My consistently favourite chord is this one

1 - 0
    2 - 3
    3 - 2
    4 - 0
    5 - x
    6 - x

I think its D sus 2? (whatever that means). 

I like to play it backward - slowly from 1 to 4 - almost appreggio. To my mind this sounds 'Indian'/exotic (sorry if that clumsy reference is offensive). Then I like to stamp on my EHX freeze and play melodies over the top using what (again in my mind) is an exotic 'indian' scale - playing the open d string and the then fretting the 3 string on 0, 2, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12 etc.....

Looks and sounds good (in my humble and ill informed option) 
    viz said:
    Clarky said:
    Neapolitan every time!
    I love those too..

the thing I like with the German 6th in addition to being cool sounding
    it's also very good as a springboard for modulating
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Clarky said:
    Sorry, but what is a German 6th?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited January 2018
    HAL9000 said:
    Clarky said:
    Sorry, but what is a German 6th?
    May I, because I also love these 6th chords!

The German 6th is a chord based on the flattened 6th degree of the scale (though that’s not related to it being called a 6th). So it’s a chord whose root is a semitone above the V chord, and it leads to the V chord before a resolution to a I chord (or a i chord). So if you’re in e minor, the V chord is B, and the German 6th would have its root as C, and would include C, E, G, A#. You will see that in the move to the V chord, the C slips downwards to the B, and the A# slips up to the B above in a lovely symmetrical outwards movement.

That C to A# is an augmented 6th, because e minor would otherwise have an A natural. Don’t think of it as a C7 moving down to a B7 (even though C, E, G, Bb is enharmonically identical to C, E, G, A#). That would spoil the effect. It’s a C and an A# moving in both directions to a B and a B. 

Extra info if anyone’s interested:

Baroque music is full of ‘secondary dominants’ - ie the “V chord of a V chord”. So instead of having ii-V-I or ii-V-i, the II chord is often major. So in e minor, you get an F# major chord instead of an f# minor chord as the II. The F# major has a A# in it, so in the II-V-i you get a strong, almost melodic feeling in the harmony, with A# -> B -> E. The cello will often play that as a low melody to reinforce the harmonic II-V-i. The German 6th has a similar quality to it.

There’s also an Italian 6th which is the same as the German but without the G, and there’s a French 6th which is the same as the German but with F# instead of the G, and sounds really whimsical. They all give that similar quality to a II-V-i. You get it most strongly with the French 6th, because that has the F# itself and therefore sounds even closer to a II chord.

There’s also a Neapolitan 6th which is also very beautiful. It only works in the minor key. It also prepares for the V chord and has a diminished 6th rather than an augmented 6th. The chord it’s based on is the phrygian of E minor, which would be F A C, but it’s played in 1st inversion, so A (C) F. The A-F is the diminished 6th (because E minor has an F# not an F). It slips to the V chord as follows: the A goes up a tone to B, and the F slips down a tone to D#. So it’s more of a pincer-movement than an expanding-outwards movement. 

There’s also an Australian 6th but I’ve forgotten what it is.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited January 2018
    Nice post @viz , just the sort of extras I was hoping for, and well explained as usual.
    Clarky said:
    viz said:
    Clarky said:
    Neapolitan every time!
    I love those too..

Slightly redundant now, but I had already prepared a post saying ~

"Come on guys, you are both talented players with prodigious theoretical knowledge.  We need more, maybe re-read the OP, and share the fingerings / voicings / inversions / examples, so we can all give these flavours a try, share the formulae so we can construct similies, share the context (admittedly "German 6th that resolves to a minor key" goes some way to this), share a playing style if appropriate, and please share any theory around these if you can.  We can all learn so much more "on the job" so to speak !"  

Honestly not meaning to have a go in any way shape or form (just incase I come across that way (I am in "grouchy git mode" today!)).  I am so grateful you are here and sharing some input.  As a comment it was intended to be tongue in cheek.  But there are so many people on here at varying parts of the journey, I am sure we can all learn a bunch from each other.  So the more info you can add the better IMHO, then we can cherry pick what we need right now, and come back for the full banquet later...  

So with that in mind

Neapolitan (beyond the 6th explained above please) ???
    ...springboard for modulating ???

Nice post @viz , just the sort of extras I was hoping for, and well explained as usual.
    Clarky said:
    viz said:
    Clarky said:
    Neapolitan every time!
    I love those too..

Slightly redundant now, but I had already prepared a post saying ~

"Come on guys, you are both talented players with prodigious theoretical knowledge.  Re-read my OP and share the fingerings / examples, so we can all give these flavours a try, share the formulae so we can construct similies, share the context (admittedly "German 6th that resolves to a minor key" goes some way to this), share a playing style if appropriate, and please share any theory around these if you can.  We can all learn so much more "on the job" so to speak !"  

Honestly not meaning to have a go in any way shape or form (just incase I come across that way) I am grateful you are here and sharing some input, as a comment it's intended to be tongue in cheek.  But there are so many people on here at varying parts of the journey, I am sure we can all learn a bunch from each other.  So the more info you can add the better IMHO, then we can cherry pick what we need right now, and come back for the full banquet later...  

So with that in mind

Neapolitan ???
    ...springboard for modulating ???
    Yep the Neapolitan comment was just for Clarky really because I know he knows it. My long post was to expand on it - glad you found it useful / at the right level of detail etc. It’s not easy to judge that properly!
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    viz said:
    Nice post viz , just the sort of extras I was hoping for, and well explained as usual.
    ...  glad you found it useful / at the right level of detail etc. It’s not easy to judge that properly!
    @viz , having read many of your theory posts, I have to say that you have a nice style, which answers the immediate questions well, and goes on to fill out a lot of contextual details.

By it's very nature that often means a lot of information way beyond my level at that moment.  Kind of what I meant by "we can cherry pick what we need right now, and come back for the full banquet later"  But you always explain things clearly, and in a good progressive way, which means that by coming back a few times the ideas interweave and make sense, and the picture starts to come more into focus.  A great way to learn !

Theoretical knowledge, for me at least, underpins the ability to create and control the emotional reactions which are the very essence of what music is, IMHO.

This forum is a wonderful platform to enable that, so big thanks to you, and Clarky, and all, for your continuing guidance.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    The more I learn, the more I understand and know.  The irony is that the more I understand, the more the landscape in front of me widens with each iteration, and the more I realise I don't know and have still to learn.

This seems to be the same in every facet of life IMO.  Anyone who tells you they have reached the end of the journey, has misunderstood the question.  It keeps the hunger for life and for knowledge fresh and exciting. 

viz said:
    Nice post viz , just the sort of extras I was hoping for, and well explained as usual.
    ...  glad you found it useful / at the right level of detail etc. It’s not easy to judge that properly!
    @viz , having read many of your theory posts, I have to say that you have a nice style, which answers the immediate questions well, and goes on to fill out a lot of contextual details.

By it's very nature that often means a lot of information way beyond my level at that moment.  Kind of what I meant by "we can cherry pick what we need right now, and come back for the full banquet later"  But you always explain things clearly, and in a good progressive way, which means that by coming back a few times the ideas interweave and make sense, and the picture starts to come more into focus.  A great way to learn !

Theoretical knowledge, for me at least, underpins the ability to create and control the emotional reactions which are the very essence of what music is, IMHO.

This forum is a wonderful platform to enable that, so big thanks to you, and Clarky, and all, for your continuing guidance.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    The more I learn, the more I understand and know.  The irony is that the more I understand, the more the landscape in front of me widens with each iteration, and the more I realise I don't know and have still to learn.

This seems to be the same in every facet of life IMO.  Anyone who tells you they have reached the end of the journey, has misunderstood the question.  It keeps the hunger for life and for knowledge fresh and exciting. 
    Oh absolutely! I know very little really; after my grades stopped at 12 everything’s all just developed through reading and listening. But I know the unknown dwarfs the known! And I agree, the theory underpins and explains everything about the music and how and why it works, that’s why I love it so much. But for those for whom it doesn’t add anything, that’s fine too :)
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I like the D minor shape with the minor 3rd on the D string like: 1323xx, which I think is also a maj6 shape when the E/D string is the root?

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Asus4 --> Em7
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    edited January 2018
    @viz very nice post on the augmented 6th chords..

the thing I like about the German 6th, is that enharmonically is sounds like a dominant 7th chord [even though the chord spelling is totally different]

a little example for folks so that they can hear this thing in action..
    note: purely to make this easy to get your head around, I'll describe the German 6th as it's enharmonic equivalent
    this will be [in terms of music theory] completely incorrect, but at least you'll be able to hear it

as viz pointed out, this family of chords are known as "augmented 6th chords"

ok so a German 6 sounds just like dominant 7 chord rooted on the minor 6th degree of a scale

try these:
    German 6th resolving to Em [which I love]
    C7 - Em / B - B7 - Em
    the C7 is enharmonically the same as the German 6th in E
    note that the following chord is Em in 2nd inversion [Em / B], this is an important part of how to handle an Aug6th chord..

and again but resolving to E major [which I also love, but not quite as much as when it resolves to a minor key]
    C7 - E / B - B7 - E

distant keys...
    key that are considered to be 'close' are those that share the most notes..
    for example.. C contains all natural notes, G is all natural with one #, F is all natural with one b
    these are all closely related cos they share 6 of the 7 notes available..
    changing key between them is easy cos they have a lot in common..
    distant keys have the least number of notes in common
    so... F and E are distant... all the notes are different.. changing key from F to E is tricky..
    the German 6th can come nicely to the rescue

in the key of F:
    I, IV, I, V7 [F, Bb, F, C7]
    the C7 chord is V7 of F.. but it also shares the same pitches as the German 6th in E..
    we can exploit this and decide that C7 is a 'pivot chord' [it belongs in F as V7 and also in E as a Germ6th]
    we then establish the key of E with a V7 -> I in E [B7 to E]
    we end up with this...

F - Bb - F - C7 - E/B - B7 - E

we started in the key of F, and nicely ended up in the key of E

ok so this is the stuff of Beethoven and Schubert..
    however, I have used this in rock songs on occasion and certainly in my movie trailer music
    with and without using it to change key..

without changing key I use it to sound powerful and dramatic [especially in my orchestral pieces]
    like this for example
    note: the C7 chord is actually a German 6th in Em, I'm just writing is as C7 so you know where to put your fingers..
    Em ' ' ' / Am ' ' ' / Em ' ' ' / C7 ' ' ' / Em/B ' ' ' / Bsus4 ' B7 ' / Em ' ' ' /

personally, I think it sounds absolutely beautiful..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom