Hiwatt

What's Hot
Hi All,

My name is Arv, I work for the new owners of Hiwatt.

I'm posting to introduce myself, answer questions and generally talk all things Hiwatt!

The trademark was bought by a Canadian team of Hiwatt enthusiasts 2 years ago, since then they have assembled a team of highly skilled, dedicated people to bring the brand back to it's former glory.
We've used the last 2 years designing and really focussing on making the amps perfect.

The official relaunch of Hiwatt is this spring at Musikmesse in Frankfurt.

Hope you're all well and look forward to talking Hiwatt.
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wow, that's awesome. Are you guys going to take the amps back to the glory days?

Big Gilmourish 100w please with power scaling and all sorts of other mod cons to bring it up to date with modern times! :-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    That sounds interesting... so the Harrison crooks are no longer involved at all?

Where will the new range be built?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

Hi Arv. Brave people! I don't know much about the old Hiwatts, just looked at a couple of schematics, bit different from the VMF clones?

Be interested to see if the new amps are 'all valve'.

Dave (Blackstar bottle washer Rtrd.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited February 2018
    @Arv_Hiwatt  welcome to TFB!

Great to have you on board.

Are you here in an official, semi-official or personal capacity?

There are a reasonable number of british makers and retailers on here. The more the merrier. Welcome to the family. Especially as Hiwatt have some decent history behind them.

• Glad to hear hiwatt are coming back (again)

I just hope it lasts. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'd love this to work out.

Please actually listen to what people want.
    Please don't be like Marshall!

Good luck.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well this seems like potentially great news! Looking forward to seeing what's in the pipeline
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Alnico said:

Good luck.
    THIS is important!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Welcome Arv and good luck with this.

I don't want to detract you from your development and setting up but are you able to offer info on old/vintage 70s DR-103 heads? My friend has one and I've done some research but I just wondered if you can do that. Also, will you have a UK operation or just distributors?

All the best with it :)
  • I did make a response to all of the comments above but it appears to have not posted. I'll work through them all again, bear with me!
  • Wow, that's awesome. Are you guys going to take the amps back to the glory days?

Big Gilmourish 100w please with power scaling and all sorts of other mod cons to bring it up to date with modern times! :-)
    Absolutely. We're working hard to restore the Hiwatt name back to the legendary status it deserves. 
    impmann said:
    That sounds interesting... so the Harrison crooks are no longer involved at all?

Where will the new range be built?
    Definitely not. We're an entirely different company, putting quality builds and our customers first.

The Custom Shop facility is located in Doncaster, South Yorkshire.
    ecc83 said:

Hi Arv. Brave people! I don't know much about the old Hiwatts, just looked at a couple of schematics, bit different from the VMF clones?

Be interested to see if the new amps are 'all valve'.

Dave (Blackstar bottle washer Rtrd.)

I'll post a picture of the innards of one of the amps at some point - Everything we build here at the Custom Shop is certainly all valve.

fandango said:
    @Arv_Hiwatt  welcome to TFB!

Great to have you on board.

Are you here in an official, semi-official or personal capacity?

There are a reasonable number of british makers and retailers on here. The more the merrier. Welcome to the family. Especially as Hiwatt have some decent history behind them.

Thanks Fandango, somewhere around the semi-official spot. There's myself and Dave (he's floating around here somewhere) visiting a lot of forums introducing ourselves and spreading the word of Hiwatt.
    Alnico said:

Good luck.
    THIS is important!
    Couldn't agree more. As I mentioned above, aside from building the best products we physically can, the customers are our number 1 priority.
    Kebabkid said:
    Welcome Arv and good luck with this.

I don't want to detract you from your development and setting up but are you able to offer info on old/vintage 70s DR-103 heads? My friend has one and I've done some research but I just wondered if you can do that. Also, will you have a UK operation or just distributors?

All the best with it :)
    Thanks Kebabkid,

Pop an email over to our techs at tech@hiwatt.co.uk   provided they've had their morning coffee they're relatively friendly!

We're based near Bawtry on the outskirts of Doncaster and are currently operating direct from the unit, though we have a growing distribution network.

Cheers for all the responses and positivity so far!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    I did make a response to all of the comments above but it appears to have not posted. I'll work through them all again, bear with me!
    New member posts sometimes get caught by the automated spam filter. I’ve released it, and verified your membership so that it won’t happen again.

I've also moved the thread to our Made in the UK section.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    I did make a response to all of the comments above but it appears to have not posted. I'll work through them all again, bear with me!
    New member posts sometimes get caught by the automated spam filter. I’ve released it, and verified your membership so that it won’t happen again.

No problem. Thanks Roland!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    Thanks for the reply @Arv_Hiwatt

Thats really good to hear. The whole MG situation left a very sour taste.

Can you give any details about what you guys are planning? Are you going to try to rebuild bridges with the Reeves family/HiTone etc?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    Good Stuff Arv, all the best to you and your team, if you ever need some help with engraving give me a shout, I have helped restore a number of older Hiwatts recently.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    Roland said:

Yeah! kudasaid! Been looking for the guy!

Dave.

• impmann said:
    Thanks for the reply @Arv_Hiwatt

Thats really good to hear. The whole MG situation left a very sour taste.

Can you give any details about what you guys are planning? Are you going to try to rebuild bridges with the Reeves family/HiTone etc?
    No problem @impmann ;

As mentioned above, the official relaunch is at Musikmesse, Frankfurt in April - Hall 9 Booth C20 for those that are going :)

There's a lot of exciting things happening here, but here's one teaser:

Based on the classic DR504, Hiwatt presents the Mike Fortin Modded "Custom Super-HI 50".

We sent a DR504 to Mike in Canada and he worked some magic on it to create super high gain with immense clarity. This is still in development but we're aiming the launch to coincide with Musikmesse. Some of you may have seen that we (Maxwatt) took the prototype to Winter NAMM which caused a nice buzz.  

We'll have more details and updates about that, other new amp lines and the classics soon which will be released first on our social medias:

Facebook
    Instagram

Best,

Arv

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Where does the current website (and the downloadable catalogue) fit into these new goings-on?
  • Arv_HiwattArv_Hiwatt Frets: 10
    edited February 2018
    fandango said:
    Where does the current website (and the downloadable catalogue) fit into these new goings-on?
    We're currently having a new website constructed which will again be ready for Musikmesse.

There'll also be official announcements and press releases in the coming weeks regarding some of the goings-on.

Cheers @fandango ;
  • @Arv_Hiwatt - that is amazing news! I saw clips of the Fortin one at NAMM - amazing! :)

I hope you guys are very successful!