Yamaha RX-11 drum machine and similar...

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
edited October 2018 in Other Instruments

Hi folks. Long time no post. This is a drum machine / VST plugin related question potentially.

I was looking at the Korg Volca Beats for live use and even recording, and I came across alternatives  in a similar price range, such as the Yamaha RX-11. This looks to have a lovely old style electro snare sound. (seems to be nice and dry from the demos I have seen)

I came across a free plugin online, but it’s for 32 bit machines, and haven’t yet managed to find something for 64 bit.

Any alternative options either as a drum machine or a plugin?

I have imaschine on the ipad, and it’s ok. I wouldn’t use a lot of what’s on it to be honest.

The old Boss DR-55 or the Korg KR-33 look really neat and simple but I don't think I'd pay what they're asking second hand.... Gah!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    Yamaha ry30 is a superb wee drumbox, really nice soft touch pads that can take a good hammering and a good sound pallete  
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919

I have a volca beats. Whilst it's a great little drum synth, I doubt it would be much use for live work. It's only 16 step, and you can't chain saved loops. So you wouldn't be able to play a "song" without switching from one saved track to another.

Currently have similar questions/needs regarding live music without a drummer. I think I'm going to go the laptop/DAW route with a Launchpad.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Ah this I did not know. So I’d have to use the same beat for an entire song with the Volca? Which wouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing as I wouldn’t want to make anything sound like a “real” drum kit but can imagine the same beat could get boring after a while...
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919

Yes, pretty much. From a performance point of view, if you're "playing" it, it's OK, as you can mute, solo, and alter individual instruments. But if you wanted to have a song with different patterns throughout you can't really do it.

I don't really know about proper drum machines, but I think if you were wanting a performance aid/accompaniment, I think a drum machine would be better than the Volca Beats. I suspect a drum machine will do everything the Beats does and more.

The Alesis SR 16 and 18 are relatively cheap, and get a good rep. Probably worth a punt.

I had the Alesis before, can't recall which model, and I didn't like the sounds. It sounded like an electro kit trying to sound like an acoustic kit, but maybe I should give it another chance...

I did like the drum sounds on the Yamaha RX-11 demos. It's an old machine, so curious as to whether there are more modern ones with the same sounds.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    Maybe something like the old boss dr660? Seem to remember it had the old Roland samples as well as acoustic kits
    Yeah, I'll keep the eyes open....
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

I got the Aly James Linn drum machine and it's fantastic.  There is a Minneapolis setting on it and it nails the 80s Prince sound exactly.  You can also load in other sounds from other drum machines.  I haven't done this but it might be worth looking at for you -

http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabvlinn.html

he also does a Simmons drum VST.  it sounds amazing too, but only available on Windows. 

I have a windows machine, so will check it out! Thanks!
    edited October 2018
    Picked up a Korg Volca beats a few weeks ago, and gah! I can't get my head around it. I do like the glitches and electro sounds and filters etc.
    Is there any such thing that would give me the following:
    Turn it on > put in tempo and length of bar etc > press record and play > loop it

The idea of the Volca is good. Plug it in, and play.

A maschine or maschine micro would do the trick, but I'm thinking of a cheaper option?

Ideally if EHX reissued their DRM 32, it would be great!
  • @Creed_Clicks do you mean something that creates the beat for you, rather than having to manually punch in snares, hi-hats etc?
    Or do you mean you want to hit record then play your best and have it loop?
    The volca can do the second one, but I'm unsure of anything that can create beats for you, that's not a modular unit.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Creed_Clicks said:
    The old Boss DR-55 
    I was going to suggest that you research the Amdek RMK-100 but the prices on those are silly too.

Much depends upon whether you desire these old boxes for their sounds or for their idiosyncratic clocking artefacts.

Creed_Clicks said:
    Any alternative options either as a drum machine or a plugin?
    https://www.robpapen.com/punch.html
    Be seeing you.
  • @Creed_Clicks do you mean something that creates the beat for you, rather than having to manually punch in snares, hi-hats etc?
    Or do you mean you want to hit record then play your best and have it loop?
    The volca can do the second one, but I'm unsure of anything that can create beats for you, that's not a modular unit.
    I look at some of those old drum machine demos, and it look svery simple and basic to get it going. Hit the tempo button, hit a snare beat, a kick beat, and a cymbal beat, and that's it!
    I'll give the volca another shot, but not sure if it's what I will need.
  • So on the volca, you can set the length of the bar, so you could do a 4 beat bar, punch in once and done.
    You can also draw a pattern in using the step sequencer function, takes me seconds to create a beat this way.
  • So on the volca, you can set the length of the bar, so you could do a 4 beat bar, punch in once and done.
    You can also draw a pattern in using the step sequencer function, takes me seconds to create a beat this way.
    I'll have a crack at it later.
  • I'm going to sell the Volca, as I'm building a guitar, so raising funds. However, I'm thinking of going a bit backwards, and looking at an Alesis SR-16 or even a Zoom MRT, and stick a few pedals after them (distortion etc) and see how that might go...