Acoustic strings - a journey...

What's Hot
Just put new strings on the HD28. First time I've had anything but elixirs on an acoustic in at least a decade. I've gone for Martin SP Lifespan 12-54's, on the assumption that Martin's own strings are a good place to start. I also have a set of EB Paradigms to fit next, once these start sounding dead.

At the risk of sounding naff, but mostly so I don't forget, I want to write this down as I go along so I can't look back at past posts and read what I thought at the time of fitting each set. Happy to have input from anyone else who's done similar too!

Onto the strings... these SPs are a bit fuller than the Elixir 1's I had on until today, but also compared with the set of Elixir 12's I had before that, but also have a good bit of sparkle which I'm desperately hoping won't fade after 2 hours! They feel a little less slippery, but not drastically so, so I'll get used to them within a day or two. Will wait and see how long they last; I'd generally get 3 months from Elixirs, so if these are still here come Christmas I'll be a happy camper. 
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I was the same as you always elixirs nothing else turned my head.As you know it's all personal taste.Ive was getting fed up trying different string brands .Then I put Martin retros Mondel's on my M 36 ,not great at first but give them time.I get a good 3 months out of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok, that's good to hear. I'll see if I can get a set of the Retros to add to the queue. I'll try anything as long as it has a good chance of not corroding within a couple of days!
  • I'am not saying retros are the best strings in the world,some say they are a bit like marmite yea or nah.After some forty years trying every string in the world I just seem to settle on these.I know we are all different but these do last me a good three months.
    Good luck
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    I really didn't like the Monels on my Dove. They made it sound thin, lacking complexity and richness. I'm normally willing to give something like this a fair time to settle in, but I just couldn't do it, they put me off playing it.

I can believe they suit some guitars and some players, but to me they just sounded like putting electric guitar strings on an acoustic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• always liked newtone heritage classics, but these are not available off the shelf at the moment so I have just ordered a set of dr sunbeam acoustic for my 000-28 , will let you know how I get on
  • ok, so 2 weeks on and the Martins still sound great. They've lost a hint of metallic-ness which is a good thing. String-to-string balance is excellent and the whole thing sounds *exactly* how you want a Martin dread to sound.

That said, the plan strings are already starting to feel a bit "draggy" at the first few frets, so I guess they're already starting to "go off" just a little. For someone who's used elixirs for 10+ years I'm not sure I'll get used to that, but we'll see.
  • I really haven't tried enough strings and I'm guessing most folk haven't, so this is good to read. 

• I haven't played acoustic for years, but I settled on regular Martin strings.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    I love the Daddario EXP phozzie strings. I've had the same set on, and they've last a hectic summer of gigging and still sound good.
  • Right, I've changed the Martins for a set of Ernie Ball Paradigm 12-54s. I was still fairly happy with the feel of the Martins, but they were starting to sound a little dull.

First impressions of the EBs are they're not as sparkly in the top end, but have a little more bass and midrange. I'm not sure if I'm imagining that. They're also more draggy from new than the Martins were at any point, which is a little odd. 

Will update when I've played them a bit more. 
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Over 2 months is decent for longevity on the Martins! I tend to get a month out of a coated set if I'm playing reasonably regularly.

I've not played Martin strings in a while and tend to use Daddario exp phosphor bronze as theyre available locally and I'm so used to them.

One of my guitars currently has DR dragon skin phosphor bronze, though I've only just put them on so it's too early to tell how I'll get on with them. 
  • My journey has ended...

Newtone Heritage Series - Low Tension .012 - .051

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    gts strings for me..i have tried pretty all the rest and have arrived at the conclusion that this chaps strings are peerless. 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    For the last year I have only used EB Earthwood Rock and Blues (10-52)
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Anyone tried rotosound super bronze? 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    yeah - they used tone called ‘Country Gold’ and Lowden sent out their guitars strung with them, if they did a ‘coated’ version I suspect Lowdies would still use them - all those grubby hands handling the guitars in shops for months.
    They have the ‘piano’ wind on wound strings - so only the core wire rides over the saddle.
    They use a ‘good’ quality bronze alloy for the wind, possibly zinc free which will not last as long as long as yer typical 5 quid a set if you’r a string corroder.   
    http://www.rotosound.com/super-bronze/
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Great, thanks for info. Just got an Ibanez avc9 last month. Crackin guitar. Very light! It came with dadario nickel bronze 12s. I swapped to dadario phosphor bronze 11s cos thats all they had at my local shop. I broke a string while setting up the action and lowering the saddle. So an emergency  trip on a saturday afternoon to the little village music shop haha.
    Im a big fan of rotosound  electric  strings. I would like to try the super bronze out.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26751
    Another update. 

After 3 months of the Ernie Balls, they were getting quite "grabby" to the touch, and losing a bit of sparkle, so I've just put some Elixir Nano 12-53s on. I don't like em. The slippery feel is nice, but they haven't the depth that the Martins or even the EBs had. 

So now I have to find some other strings to try first, then I'll go to another set of Martin SP Lifespans and compare/contrast. If I have the time & energy I might even make some sound clips to see how much is actually audible outside my own head.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    AliGorie said:
    yeah - they used tone called ‘Country Gold’ and Lowden sent out their guitars strung with them, if they did a ‘coated’ version I suspect Lowdies would still use them - all those grubby hands handling the guitars in shops for months.
    They have the ‘piano’ wind on wound strings - so only the core wire rides over the saddle.
    They use a ‘good’ quality bronze alloy for the wind, possibly zinc free which will not last as long as long as yer typical 5 quid a set if you’r a string corroder.   
    http://www.rotosound.com/super-bronze/
     does that affect the intonation?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    Another update. 

After 3 months of the Ernie Balls, they were getting quite "grabby" to the touch, and losing a bit of sparkle, so I've just put some Elixir Nano 12-53s on. I don't like em. The slippery feel is nice, but they haven't the depth that the Martins or even the EBs had. 

So now I have to find some other strings to try first, then I'll go to another set of Martin SP Lifespans and compare/contrast. If I have the time & energy I might even make some sound clips to see how much is actually audible outside my own head.
    what prompted this trial?

Sometimes I get a guitar comes back from repair with a new set of non-Elixirs on and I am immediately horrified by how bright they are. I bought a recommended set (I forget which) last year, and took them back off after one day. Then again, I play a bit with my nails, perhaps if I had no nails I'd like brighter strings.

The other issue for me is the maintenance aspect. If you have "too many" <cough> instruments, some of which are not played frequently, coated strings help with cost and time