What colour Strats are the easiest, and the hardest, to sell?

What's Hot
fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
edited March 2014 in Guitar
reckon sunburst, red and black at the easier end, and pink, yellow and 'Sherwood green metallic' at the other.

(NB: this question is not to be confused with - what colour Strat do you personally like best?
250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Sonic blue and Lacke Placid blue sell quickly.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    I think white sells quite quick too. Though strats don't really seem to be that hard to sell really. 
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I haven't had many Strats to sell, but paisley always seemed to go down quite well ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I'd have thought Sherwood would've shifted quite nicely as it's a reasonably uncommon colour?
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    edited March 2014
    Fanny pink and turd brown are hard to shift I reckon.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited March 2014

jd0272 said:
    I'd have thought Sherwood would've shifted quite nicely as it's a reasonably uncommon colour?

But isn't that the whole point about 'rare' colours - the reason they're rare is because Fender don't make many because they know not many people want that colour, and the same applies when those guitars come up on the second hand market. There was a Sherwood Strat on here a while ago that wouldn't shift, and I think that if you have an unpopular colour then that will be reflected in the second hand value, unless you're lucky and find a punter desperate for the Robin Hood look...
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30824
    edited March 2014
    Easiest:

Any custom colour from the original dupont range or 2 tone with maple, or 3 tone with either maple or rosewood.

Hardest:

Anything NOT in the above catagories. Peeps like their strats vintage IMO.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080
    I would say its more people want more for a rarer colour and that puts buyers off. The guitar itself is no better than say a white one.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867

jd0272 said:

But isn't that the whole point about 'rare' colours - the reason they're rare is because Fender don't make many because they know not many people want that colour, and the same applies when those guitars come up on the second hand market. There was a Sherwood Strat on here a while ago that wouldn't shift, and I think that if you have an unpopular colour then that will be reflected in the second hand value, unless you're lucky and find a punter desperate for the Robin Hood look...

Possibly. Tho I don't recall Robin Hood playing a Fender. Mind you, I never met the bloke. ;) 

Probably a lot of it, as with any product, is the expectation of what the product will look like. More exposure of the 'usual' colours in media etc reinforces the connection to the product. Thus more comfortable with it in that colour. There was a LP booting around in a sea foam green somewhere of late, and in fairness it looked canny, but I wouldn't have touched it with a dead leper's cock.

I'm probably talking shite tho, it's been a long old day.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    edited March 2014
    Sunburst should be easy, white (Hendrix) and Red (Marvin/Knopfler) also. I think black is a bit boring for Strats, I bet there's hundreds of them around at any time.

I think you'd get a good price for a nice Shell Pink one, but you'd have to wait for the right buyer to find it. I think it's easy to make Custom colours like CAR look very desirable with a decent camera and good lighting (worked on me, I didn't even want a Strat!)
    edited March 2014
    I'm very funny about colours:

Les Pauls- Bursts.
    Custom LP's- Black
    Strats- as above
    Teles- maple neck blonde, rose neck 3 tone
    Jags/jazzs- Sunburts
    PRS's- sunburst or amber burst
    Suhrs/Andersons- Bursts, preferably bengal or copperhead.
    LP Junior range- TV Yellow or Cherry.

I wouldn't buy anything else. I'd never buy a green PRS or a blue Suhr.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Gassage;184402" said:
    I'm very funny about colours:

Les Pauls- Bursts.

Custom LP's- Black

Strats- as above

Teles- maple neck blonde, rose neck 3 tone

Jags/jazzs- Sunburts

PRS's- sunburst or amber burst

Suhrs/Andersons- Bursts, preferably bengal or copperhead.

LP Junior range- TV Yellow or Cherry.

I wouldn't buy anything else. I'd never buy a green PRS or a blue Suhr.
    I'm the other way I won't buy anything finished in sunburst. Does make second hand surfing a bit more difficult as everyone else seems to love bursts.
    @Adam_MD

If we all liked the same it would be hugely boring!!!!

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    @Gassage totally agree. You can keep your nasty bursts ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516

jd0272 said:

about the only colour strat I would own if i'm honest...
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Making a generalisation, sunbursts usually have the advantage of two piece bodies from choicer cuts of wood. A bit like Pedigree Alder, or IAMs Ash.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    I have listed a burgundy mist strat body here a few times, its lovely, but no takers so far.   it also didn't get any interest when it was part of a complete guitar

its a colour a lot of people like, especially when a nice example is posted, but not a lot of people actually want to own themselves 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    I would have thought Sunburst and black would be the easiest to sell.

As some people may know from another thread, i have been thinking about buying shell pink strat. Part of me did think "hmm rare colour" and after a while it has grown on me. I've always like cream and off white strats, especially with tortoise shell pickguards.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I reckon Strats are a bit like the Mini. It's hard to find a colour they don't look good in. I tend to agree with an earlier post that outside of black, white and sunburst, a vintage custom colour (Fiesta Red, Daphne Blue, etc) will probably shift more easily than (say) Graffiti Yellow. That said, I quite like Pewter Grey....
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited March 2014
    WezV said:
    I have listed a burgundy mist strat body here a few times, its lovely, but no takers so far.   it also didn't get any interest when it was part of a complete guitar

its a colour a lot of people like, especially when a nice example is posted, but not a lot of people actually want to own themselves 
    That makes me laugh when people say 'great colour' but wouldn't want to own one in that colour. That line of thinking is b0llocks IMHO.   :)