What colour Strats are the easiest, and the hardest, to sell?

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    unfortunately it seems to work that way though

look at this:

or the one i offered up for sale, both as this guitar and just as the body alone,  quite different to the above and a deeper burgundy mist as well 

both get lots of likes and the colour seems to appeal to at least 25% of fender fans, but probably gets brought by less than 1%.  quite a lot just like a standard colour more, or realize a more standard one will be easier to move on, or lack the confidence to be a real man with a purpley pink guitar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    WezV said:
    I have listed a burgundy mist strat body here a few times, its lovely, but no takers so far.   it also didn't get any interest when it was part of a complete guitar

its a colour a lot of people like, especially when a nice example is posted, but not a lot of people actually want to own themselves 
    That makes me laugh when people say 'great colour' but wouldn't want to own one in that colour. That line of thinking is b0llocks IMHO.   :)
    Not really, I quite like green as a colour but don't have many green clothes because they don't suit me.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    it reminds me of cars to a point. You get what's known as lifestyle colours. Usually the bright funky colours they show on adverts, yellows and lizard greens. They look great on the advert, but the vast majority of people don't really want to own a bright green car for the day to day.
    I happen to like that purple body though :)
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    The purple's just a bit too showy for a 'working' Strat, which I also think is true of shoreline gold and almost any any flame top on a Strat.

(And did Fender really do one in bright yellow? Must be so hideous I've blotted it out of my memory.)
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    edited March 2014
    I've not read the other responses, but rarity must be an issue. Colours like Graffiti Yellow and Razz Berry are quite rare I think, so collectors would snap them up.

I once found an interesting site on Strats, I don't know this guy, but it's worth a look.

You may have seen it already.

Edit again: Lots of Colours on there.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Candy Green is very easy to sell (to me) :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    You and your Greens @Bucket

;)

;)
    I fucking love green guitars. Tell me this isn't sexy.

Apart from missing the big headstock and 22nd fret, visually that is my perfect Strat.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Bucket

I do like some Green guitars. Candy Green ain't too bad actually, if you remember the Fave Colour thread, I am a bit picky about Greens. 

It's the colour I find hardest to make up my mind about.

:)
    I have a bright highlighter-pen-green guitar (my Jackson - aka the Green Bastard), then I have a classier trans emerald green Tokai PRS copy, now I want a tasteful yellowed Candy Green like the one above.

I'm a sucker for a Lake Placid or Sonic Blue Strat as well, even a nice Olympic White.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Bucket said:

;)

Apart from missing the big headstock and 22nd fret, visually that is my perfect Strat.
    Have a Wow.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Lixarto said:
    Have a Wow.
    Ta!

Once I have the funds, expect to see a similar thing being added to my collection via MJT.

With a big headstock, 22 frets and a fat neck, of course. Finish-wise, the closer they can get to that exact shade, the better.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited March 2014
    imalone said:
    fretfinder said: That makes me laugh when people say 'great colour' but wouldn't want to own one in that colour. That line of thinking is b0llocks IMHO.   :)
    Not really, I quite like green as a colour but don't have many green clothes because they don't suit me.
    That's not exactly the same as guitars is it?! 'Ooh I love that graffiti yellow Strat but wouldn't be seen dead with one hanging round my neck' - bonkers.  :-S
    Bucket said: I love green guitars. Tell me this isn't sexy..
    That (green guitar) isn't in the slightest bit sexy IMO and would undoubtedly be harder to sell than a more 'normal' colour - unless you were after one obviously...   

And if anyone really wants to know about Fender custom colours:

250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Bucket said:

That isn't sexy, it's a lump of turf with a neck on the end...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Candy green is a stunning colour, and I really love the totally modern, metallic grey.

To be honest, if I was in the market for a strat or tele, I'd probably just wait for a used one to come up in a colour I happen to like. I really like burst ones, but they're a bit... Meh, too many around.

I really, really like the hello kitty strat. Not the newer one, but the one with a single humbucker and a hello kitty scratchplate. I think it's a wonderful looking thing in pink or black, and I kinda wish there was a mim or mia version.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    edited March 2014
    ThePrettyDamned;184680" said:

I really, really like the hello kitty strat. Not the newer one, but the one with a single humbucker and a hello kitty scratchplate. I think it's a wonderful looking thing in pink or black, and I kinda wish there was a mim or mia version.
    I'm not sure what that would change, other than putting the price up.
    It's actually a pretty good guitar as it is, and it would lose its kitsch value if it was a US Fender, definitely a case of trying too hard :)
  • p90fool;184686" said:
    [quote="ThePrettyDamned;184680"]

It's actually a pretty good guitar as it is, and it would lose its kitsch value if it was a US Fender, definitely a case of trying too hard :) [/quote]

That's true, but I'm sure there are folks who'd insist it was awful being a squier...

Apparently, the quality control on them was a bit iffy. But the ones I've seen have all been pretty nice, one had a gotoh bridge and bone nut fitted, and a super distortion pickup, and really sounded great.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    edited March 2014
    ThePrettyDamned;184687" said:
    [quote="p90fool;184686"][quote="ThePrettyDamned;184680"]

It's actually a pretty good guitar as it is, and it would lose its kitsch value if it was a US Fender, definitely a case of trying too hard :) [/quote]

That's true, but I'm sure there are folks who'd insist it was awful being a squier...

Apparently, the quality control on them was a bit iffy. But the ones I've seen have all been pretty nice, one had a gotoh bridge and bone nut fitted, and a super distortion pickup, and really sounded great. [/quote]

Maybe I got lucky with mine then, its actually a perfectly serviceable guitar which I have gigged a couple of times.

I'm actually glad its a Squier. It's a bit of fun and it cost me £89. If I thought for one second the audience thought I'd paid 900 quid for a bit of silly irony I'd die of embarrassment. :)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26752
    Sherwood is awesome- I went out I my way to get that on my first guitar and only strat. But it's not easy to sell- they always hang around for ages when they come up, while the same in Fiesta Red, Oly White or black.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I would always rather have a more unusual colour but I wouldn't necessarily pay more for it. I guess the difference is, if I saw a black or wine red strat going for a good price I probably wouldn't buy it, since I already have a good strat. If it was sunfire orange flake I would sprint round to buy it. Black is the best and worst colour - it wont put anyone off but it's so common that people will be inclined to haggle or wait for one in a colour they prefer.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom