Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best under the radar brand?

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    VimFuego said:
    I'd concur on the larry comment. Brands like Stonebridge, Lakewood seem to give the big names a run for their money as well.

Definitely Stonebridge (Furch) are seriously good.  Until you get up to the Vintage Series stuff (which is much more expensive) I'd take them over a Martin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    the problem with some of these smaller brands is finding someone who has a decent selection to try. Unless you're in the smoke or somewhere similar it can mean a drive or so (not that I'm feeling GASSY, oh no...).

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• birdobirdo Frets: 24
    Didn't stonebridge/ furch also go under the Stanford name? Great guitars as are the larry .I ve not tried the sigma or recording king but they look good.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited August 2013
    oh,  good call on the Stonebridge -

OK - Ive held back so far...(mostly cos I assumed we were wanting to keep this at 'lower end budget'.)  but if you're going to hit the Larry and alike marks (£2k ish)  then I have to mention Brook.  Yeah Im biased of course......but they are phenomenal, in sound, playability and value
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    Freshman. My FA400 was awesome,it sounds cliche but it really did sound like something worth 3 times the price. I picked it up from gash converters for £200 and regrettably sold it on for £400. They retail for something like £700 now. Their base models are well worth a look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    I have to give a mention here to The Loar. Part of the Recording King empire but focussing on mandolins and archtops (as the name suggests). Not very available in the UK but a big hit in the USA: Acoustic Guitar of the Year 2010. Justin Townes Earle plays one of their LO-16s.

I was thinking of an Epiphone EL-00 but it seems that upgrading the nut and saddle to bone is almost mandatory to get that guitar up to scratch, the Loar LH-200 has a bone nut and saddle (perfectly crafted I might add) as standard and it sustains like a bastard. Recording Kings seem to be reasonably available here but not The Loar, so I bought one from Thomann for £200 as a "leave it around the living room guitar" and I haven't touched my Taylor in 6 months.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    IanSavage said:
    The three major Canadian brands (Simon & Patrick, Art et Lutherie and Norman, in decending order of personal preference) - all part of the Godin group, real quality at good prices (STUPIDLY low prices secondhand, quite often).
    I also have a soft spot for the Canadian brands, especially the Spruce topped Normans. I have this one:
    http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Norman-B20-Spruce-High-Gloss-Natural-01019.html

I want to emphasise that this is from the point of view of an electric player looking a for a loud strummer with a great neck (after an expert fret dress). I was a bit alarmed to learn that ICBM has seen so many with broken headstocks but as a lifelong Gibson player I guess I factor in that risk without even realising it.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    I'll vote for Crafter. I have a GA-7 and it's f***ing glorious.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited September 2013

Walden is definitely a brand worth looking at. I've had one of their supranatural G2070s  for a number of years and have never failed to be impressed by it.

http://www.waldenguitars.com/G2070.html

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • As I commented in a previous thread, try the Farida range at Dawsons. I tried their £699 top of the heap jobbie and it fairly sung and was very easy to bond with.
  • RichRich Frets: 18
    equalsql said:

Walden is definitely a brand worth looking at. I've had one of their supranatural G2070s  for a number of years and have never failed to be impressed by it.

This. I've played a few Waldens, and they've all been lovely. I'm not a huge acoustic expert, but they all feel as if they should be a lot more expensive than they are, if you know what I mean. The B1 Baritone is loads of fun, too. Shame they're pretty rare over here.
  • I would disagree with L'Arrivee - not in terms of quality but in 'under-the-radar'-ness. I've always thought they were very highly regarded and well known, too. They'd have to be to get those prices.

For me an under-the-radar brand would be something like a K Yairi, perhaps, though even that might be stretching the point, or one of the legion of smaller British makers.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    edited September 2013
    equalsql said:

crikey jeeps, there's some cracking VFM there ........ merchant city have a model under 300 for a solid top AND solid r/wood back and sides !!!!  

I had a  Crafter  OM sized for while (TO35 ??)   looked and played great, but it was so heavy and built like a tank,  not really good qualities for an acoustic
  • TheOtherDennis;43791" said:
    I would disagree with L'Arrivee - not in terms of quality but in 'under-the-radar'-ness. I've always thought they were very highly regarded and well known, too. They'd have to be to get those prices.

For me an under-the-radar brand would be something like a K Yairi, perhaps, though even that might be stretching the point, or one of the legion of smaller British makers.
    Suppose it depends how you define "under the radar". I would put Larerivee up agains Taylor or Martin any day od the week, yet are thwy nearly as well known as these two brands? Over the years, I have gigged regularly in Edinburgh, know many of the musicians yet have only come across one other Larrivee owner - George Duff, a highly respected acoustic singer/guitarist. Using this as measure, Larrivee are under the the radar, nowhere near as popular as Martin, Taylor or even Takemine.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    Larrivee owner here - have three OM9, SD50 TSB and C09 and totally agree with ICBM, would choose Larrivee over Martin or Taylor anyday and this is based on having owned both of these brands in the past, In fact sold my Santa Cruz D to finance the SD50 (12 fret dreadnought). I have had a tour of their factory in Vancouver and I have never come across such a happy working environment, which no doubt reflects the pride their employees go about their work.
    Whilst still a relative bargain, Larrys are beginning to climb in price, certainly compared with around 10 years ago when you could pick up a second hand Larry for a a ridiculously cheap price. 
    Re the above comment on small builders, in my experience, Larrys are consderably cheaper than most small builders guitars.  I also have a MciLroy and a Forster and both of these were considerably dearer than my Larrys

I foolishly bought a Taylor as soon as I had some cash. I sold it at a loss. It was not as good as any of the 4 Larrivees I bought for less (3 of them new), and it sat unused.

I had an OM50, D5, LV05 and SD60.

The first 3 were sadly outgunned when I started buying USA hand-made small shop stuff (no shame there, they were way pricier), but I still have the SD60 TSB, what a lovely instrument, should be far more sought after

for cheaper stuff, Blueridge seem to be good value for a real guitar, I have their Tenor guitar, and for £400-£500 new with a hard case, it sounds like a proper acoustic instrument to me, and I don't like most stuff in shops. If I wanted a cheap OM or dreadnought, I'd try them first. Hobgoblin is not the cheapest route though.

Frailers in Runcorn stock dozens of used USA imports, and usually have 10 or more used Larrivees in.

I've been in there when people get off a train from down south (it is not a tourist town !!!!) just to come in and buy a used Martin, they are very good with used prices. Anyway, go there and try Larrivees if you need a Pro acoustic for £1k or so

• bntylrbntylr Frets: 8
    Played a couple of these that were quite lovely

A friend of mine has one and gigs it regularly and as far as I know he's had no problems with it so reliability seems to be good. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790

The guy who runs/ran Turner clearly knows what a nice guitar is, based on other stock I've seen him selling.

He's started a new brand now - http://www.terrypackguitars.com/ 

I had a Turner 5 years ago, it was good for £130 (should have been £250 I think), but with all of them  -especially the pricier ones, my worry is "how do they last?", "what are they worth 1 year later?" - since you should always aim to be able to change your mind without too much of a hit, seriously though - how do you estimate the value of something like these, I am never sure what the real street price even.

• +1 Larrivee.

@TheOtherDennis - they command those prices due to the build quality, top quality materials and top shelf components.  They are without doubt, some of the finest guitars on the planet, but in the UK are still a relatively unknown brand.  Possibly ignored by many because it doesn't say Taylor or Martin on the headstock.
    edited October 2013
    I wouldnt really class Larrivee as "under the radar"   - and indeed are one of the best VFM  mass-produced "hand made" acoustics
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    Stonebridge, by a mile. 
    I tried out the usual suspects and wasn't bowled over. Found the Stonebridge, bought it, love it! 
    I've had a few folk ask for a shot and where I got it  from as they've heard great things about them but not seen them anywhere.
    For the record, I got mine from Richards Guitars. Top bloke.