Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who's gigging tonight?

What's Hot

Comments

• FezFez Frets: 499
    First gig with our new bass player Tomorrow night at the Apple Tree in west Green, Crawley
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Urban Legends are at The Newmarket in central Nottingham a Saturday. New backdrop, a few new songs, but they’ve still got the same old guitarist.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited April 2018
    next gig is early May at a festival in Portugal
    we're not headlining this one though, Steve Hackett is
    which makes sense cos he's got actual fans and stuff..
    play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Clarky said:
    next gig is early May at a festival in Portugal
    we're not headlining this one though, Steve Hackett is
    which makes sense cos he's got actual fans and stuff..
    absolutely awesome festival...
    it was soooooo much fun...

met Steve Hackett and some of the band at breakfast
    what really nice, chatty and approachable bunch of guys...
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    On Friday May 11th Borrowed Time will be at the Swan in Crawley.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The Supernatural are at The bell Inn, Kingsteignton tonight. Cosy.
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    The Cabbage Patch, Twickenham this Friday May 18. If you like a bit of Who-y, jangly, psychy, 60s sort of stuff come down. My band, The Moot, and support Trees and The Slipway + DJ. It's free entry, doors at 8. All original tunes. It would be great to see any Fretboarders from SW London. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Tonight Mathew, I will be mainly playing disco and funk at Roberts Bar and nightclub in Colchester.
    Perm wigs and flares are strictly not allowed on stage! I've decided.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    It's 80's rock and metal from Meanstreak tonight at The Brewery Tap, Idle, Bradford. Great to see any Fretboarders who can make it.
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362
    Solo gig at The Street Inn, Street, Somerset.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited May 2018
    The Black Horse Inn, Sidmouth, Devon tonight (26th May). We're on about 9.30pm.

My first gig with a band I joined about 4 weeks ago, since moving to Exmouth.

It's not a competition.
    Borrowed Time at the Row Barge in Guildford Tonight.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1894
    edited May 2018
    Old Electric Shop in Hay-on-Wye on Saturday. A book festival counts as a festival, right?

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Indigo Hammer rocking the Pickerel Inn in Stowmarket tomorrow night

A great live music pub that always gets a bit wild later in the evening.

I, of course, wont be paying any attention to the shenanigans as it's the first gig I'll be playing using the AX8 going through the PA and not using guitar cabs so I'll be constantly fretting about the sound out front. Lucky poos needed!! 

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    My beat group The Verticals are on at Spondon Liberal Club Derby on Sat 2nd June 9.30 ish. Its our first time there and I'm very much looking forward to it.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    My beat group The Verticals are on at Spondon Liberal Club Derby on Sat 2nd June 9.30 ish. Its our first time there and I'm very much looking forward to it.
    Ah, I’d have come and seen you but I’m gigging myself. Only live down the road!
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1258
    Acoustic Festival of Great Britain tonight with the band Monochrome Days in the beer tent from 10:15pm. Come along and say hello :)
    David5150 said:

I, of course, wont be paying any attention to the shenanigans as it's the first gig I'll be playing using the AX8 going through the PA and not using guitar cabs so I'll be constantly fretting about the sound out front. Lucky poos needed!! 

I would be interested to hear how you got on with the AX8.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    I gigged last night.  First time with the new band.  Long pub with low ceilings and hard surfaces meant FOH sound was shit and Feedback was a problem.  Had volume issues with the PA, couldn’t get it loud enough to begin with.  A battery died in one of my pedals just before the sound check, resulting in no output at all, the left channel on my in-ears died for the first half of the set and the usually good singer turned into an X-Factor first round comedy reject for the night wailing tuneless random pitches instead.

Never mind, we got free beer all night and got paid too.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118
    Fez said:
    David5150 said:

I would be interested to hear how you got on with the AX8.

Went bloody brilliantly. Acoustics in the pub were horrible - low ceiling and solid stone walls so a lot of time was spent getting vocals sounding OK and trying to persuade bass player to turn his rig down and maybe even read the eq and compressor setting page of the fookin manual)

But onto the AX8 and its performance. A caveat is I used to use it with a cab and power amp so am fairly familiar with the unit. But for this gig I wanted to just use the PA and carry less heavy stuff.

Had a chance to set it up in the studio through our new Alto TS115 cabs (ICBM will be spitting feathers at my choice of 15inch speakers for mains but we’re a loud band and need a bit of oomph out front. And we’re skint so couldn’t afford anything else!)   I used 6 main presets –Hiwatt for clean , Plexi for Crunch, JCM800 for grind, JVM for sizzle Cameron Atomica for high gain and a bassman for fuzz. Plus an AC30 with loads of delay for some U2 songs we cover. All presets had tubescreamer, delay, phaser ready to deploy when needed.

Interestingly I ended up deleting the pre-sets I thought were awesome with the power amp and cab and just started with the stock Fractal sounds. They sound good. The only adjustment I made was on the high and low cut filters – taking out anything below 120hz and above 6000kHz – just to smooth things out a bit.

Every post you see on the Fractal forum says people ‘came up and complimented me on my tone’ I never get this – just drunk people shouting random stuff when I’m trying to play. But the unit sounded great. Blends brilliantly with the bass and vocals. Not a ‘hi-fi’ sound by any stretch, still has enough rawk to sound rock and roll and everything is tweakable on the fly on the AX8. Those times I wandered out front the sound made me smile - and inspired me to play; which is my ultimate measure of if I keep a bit of kit.

The PA throws the sound out in a pleasant spread. Not a huge amount of volume is needed to cut through which makes balancing better.Bit weird not having a cabinet behind me but quite pleasant not to have to worry about it.

Monitors were a bugger to set up – had them far too loud at first and needs some proper EQ-ing but will figure that out with practice.

Overall opinion – a great start with a brilliant bit of kit. I’ve got the AX2 / MFC101 waiting in the corner of the garage awaiting setup so will report on that at some point.