Water Rats 2nd Jun 2018 Running Order - DOORS OPEN 1130

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
edited May 2018 in Events

NB - Studio doors open at 1130, first set will start at 1230.

This has taken a little bit of modelling to produce!

It'll all get completely buggered when 3 people pull out the week before, 2 people pull out the day before, and an as-yet-unforecast number don't show on the day ... so, if you're not going to be able to make it ...   LET ME KNOW ASAP !!!

We've got a lot of songs to play through on the day, so efficient organisation will be necessary -  as @Bridgehouse may well recall from his organising of previous jams.

So, the boring organisation bits.

I've split the overall set list into 4 separate  mini-set lists - that way everyone gets a break.

The objective is that everyone who's due to play on any song on each of the 4 mini sets should be in the main room when the  mini set starts.  That way we minimise the chasing around time, looking for the missing vocalist/bassist/lead guitarist, and it also gives the performers some sort of audience for their performance.

What I've then done is organise the songs on each mini list so that the minimum number of people have to be present for each mini set.  That means that everyone - with 1 exception - gets to spend time in the other rooms too. 

Make sense?

So, the  running order is ...

https://open.spotify.com/user/eoapdaw791qpsgnl2ph5yb5j3/playlist/0OKtibR3hnDhejp6wmhsSK?si=BRZIKmTTTemNEjZSogcJNA
Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Good job @TTony ;

Everyone should be aware - timing will slip. It will get chaotic. Things will go awry.

However - if everyone keeps on top of roughly where we are and when they are next on then it’ll be fine.

Biggest killer? Kit changeovers. If you can avoid this or make it slick then it will flow really well: if you spend 10 mins faffing about with your pedal board and amp then the timing will go out the window. 

Be aware that the kit you bring and how long it takes to set up is crucial to the running of the day..!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    I'm proposing that the backline IS the backline in the performance room.  That way levels can  also set for the recording and we maximise playing time.

This is about playing as part of a band - not obsessing about "your" sound.
    :)

@poopot can remind us of whats there to use, and we can either jointly choose to use that, or jointly choose to use something else.
    TTony said:
    I'm proposing that the backline IS the backline in the performance room.  That way levels can  also set for the recording and we maximise playing time.

@poopot can remind us of whats there to use, and we can either jointly choose to use that, or jointly choose to use something else.
    That was the plan in Huddersfield.. but er... well...
    But I can be a mean bastard if I'm organising something.
    :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    But I can be a mean bastard if I'm organising something.
    :D
    Like I say... Er.. well....
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    TTony said:

We have full backline and drums there if we need it... I agree that in the live room we use what’s there otherwise the time will be used up swapping amps and sorting levels etc...

If I’ m reading the list correctly we need at least 5 guitar amps... based on come together and tush... 

Im happy for folk to use my two ghetto’s I will email Kim and double check what is available...
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I’ll be bringing my AX8 all programmed so single line into PA and I’m sorted
    peteri said:
    @TTony - even a single gear change can take 5/10 mins out of the running order so we have to be careful
    peteri said:
    @TTony - even a single gear change can take 5/10 mins out of the running order so we have to be careful
    Yup.

In the performance room, the backline *is* the backline.

We then need to think about the approach to pedal boards / fx boxes, etc.  Do any of the songs on the list *need* any fx?
    Absolutely the songs I do need them. 

I get we dont change the amps but a fair few of us have gone the modelling route - all you need is a hanging mono line to the PA, and if you want to bring a modeller you just plug into that

should be ok, no?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    edited April 2018
    I’ve used pedal boards at previous events. Just needs a 240v extension cable available by each amp. Takes 60 secs to setup.

The issue has been when someone turns up with a kemper and wants to plug into a valve power amp return or cab- that involved cable swapping and risks cabs not being matched with amps (impedance) correctly. 

Im happy to bring a FRFR for any modellers to plug straight into if needed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    TTony said:
    peteri said:
    Yup.

In the performance room, the backline *is* the backline.

We then need to think about the approach to pedal boards / fx boxes, etc.  Do any of the songs on the list *need* any fx?
    I don't have a problem with using backline but it depends what the backline is. If its classic marshall, fender vox valve amp that's fine for a classic rock set. If its a boogie blackstar fender hotrod etc that's fiddley to set up time will be wasted in adjustments.

At quad we had limited backline and most people wanted to use my matchless.

I suggest we wait for the list and if its classic amps go for it and if not decide who brings what and stick to it.

I've just thought of a compromise perhaps we arrange to have someone on hand to set up the backline. If anyone can get me a decent sound on a mesa etc I'll use it.

The thing is, and I speak from quite some experience.. no matter how fixed you make the back line, and no matter how quick plugging a board in *should* be.. 

it is inevitable that during the course of the session there will be delays as lit is swapped but doesn’t work first time, or someone wants to try an amp out or one of the backline amps stops doing what it’s supposed to.. 

I’m not saying don’t swap anything out, I’m just saying plan some time for it, and if you do want to bring a board, swap something out etc then make sure you know exactly what to do before you walk into the room. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Would be worth having a list of what’s available ready for people beforehand, I remember in Hudds there was a Boss katana stack that wasn’t used much as no one knew it was there. Surely four or so amps and a FRFR/PA input for modellers should suffice. Is there any kit at the practice room or are we using fretboard members kit? People brought loads to Northampton, don’t think we used any of the practice room equipment.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Ahhhh - so this is why people organise one, and only one of these sessions ...

@poopot is checking what the studio has available for use.  That will be published here.

If, for some very odd reason, the studio kit isn't generally suitable for the song list, and someone attending wants to donate their amp  (which is generally more suitable) as a replacement for the whole day, then that's OK.  They'll just need to be there nice and early so that it can be set up, levelled with the rest of the kit, etc.

But, once we have the backline defined - whether studio kit or attendee kit - that's it.  No changes for the duration.

This is meant to be a fun session for all, not a logistical hassle that ends up with us having to cut the set list (and the playing opportunities) because we've spent the time swapping amps in and out instead.

slacker said:

I suggest we wait for the list and if its classic amps go for it and if not decide who brings what and stick to it.

Exactly this.

mrkb said:
    Would be worth having a list of what’s available ready for people beforehand,
    That's the intention.

List of studio kit, discuss, agree on any necessary changes,  done.  
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    Glad I'm doing vox and rhythm!
    It’s worth remembering that the other room(s) are there for trying out kit, amps, boards and other stuff - the main room is about playing with others primarily..
    I wasn't suggesting trying out kit in the main room, but actually was expecting to be playing with others (which is unfamiliar to me) with familiar kit.

I asked this some time ago and was told I could plug into the PA in the main room, I do hope this is possible
    peteri said:
    I wasn't suggesting trying out kit in the main room, but actually was expecting to be playing with others (which is unfamiliar to me) with familiar kit.

I asked this some time ago and was told I could plug into the PA in the main room, I do hope this is possible
    Yes, of course it is - the issue is setting expectation over how long we need between songs for set up and how much time there is on the day for getting all the songs done on the running order.

In my experience, any common backline elements reduce the gaps. However, I would say that having the tracks recorded seems to add the most time. 

Golder rule #1 tho - make sure the organiser/s on the day know what you want to do well in advance so we can plan accordingly. 

Turning up 2 mins before a song starts with an amp, 2 pedal boards and a bag of cables will be met with some disdain and probably someone plugging you into the nearest amp and being advised to get on with it ;)

Is this one being recorded properly, or just a mic at the back of the room jobbie??
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
This discussion has been closed.