The Pedal Finishing Thread - Painting, Coating, Drilling, Envirotex, etc

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Looking good.  

Odd that the methylated spirits was removing some of the tayda powder coating though I’ve never had that with enclosures from anywhere else.  Might be an indicator of the quality.

I haven’t used one of the tayda ones yet so I’ll let you both know if I have the problem with mine.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    The Tayda enclosures are, I think, not so top notch as a real Hammond, but where else would you get a nice shocking pink one for around £4? =)
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Adam_MD said:
    Looking good.  

Odd that the methylated spirits was removing some of the tayda powder coating though I’ve never had that with enclosures from anywhere else.  Might be an indicator of the quality.

I haven’t used one of the tayda ones yet so I’ll let you both know if I have the problem with mine.  
    Yeah, didn’t happen with the silver one, just the black.  The Hammond one from bitsbox didn’t have any issues either.  To be fair I had to wipe it a LOT. ET was basically pouring off the sides of that one. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

I paid the price for my cavalier approach to finishing ;)

Using the Plasti-Kote,which has sat on a shelf for a long time has proved to be a big mistake, so it's all coming off and I'll start again, without the pink this time.

It looked ok when I sprayed a little on a white paper plate I was using to spin the enclosure round on, but after a couple of coats it went a little yellow and refused to dry even after 3 days.

Because I'm going to go back to bare metal before spraying white primer the whole thing should look a lot tidier when I'm done, so it's not a complete disaster.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    That sucks Paul I really loved how your enclosure was turning out.  Good luck with round 2  :)
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited May 2018
    Great thread, as mentioned the boxing and finishing often takes the most time. I've got a backlog of graphic-less pedals due to my eagerness to build, hear and use.

Here's a couple I've had a go at this weekend, on left is a trapezoid enclosure I picked up to stick my Buzzotron (excellent fuzz, my favourite at the moment) circuit in. I wanted it to hav ethe silver box look so went for minimal art with a Brass Ete reference. The other is for the Escebedo Tripple Fuzz I just knocked up, based the graphics and name on the band Goat's first album artwork. My camera's crap with indoor pics!

https://i.imgur.com/8wCTNMq.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Octafish The Goathead looks sort of like a neon meate dream ;-) How did you do them?
    Indeed, fast and bulbous =) ! They're clear vinyl with with quite a few coats of Hycote clear gloss laquer, great weather for spraying at the moment.

I'm quite pleased with how the Goathead has come out. Can be a bit hit and miss sometimes, but I do like the look of the of colour printing on clear vinyl over the silver of the bare enclosure. I will try Envirotex at some point, but I am put off a bit at the amount time spent watching and attending to it and, although not as tough, I've been getting good results from spraying. 
    Bulbous also tapered!
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    Tin Teardrop would be a great name for a pedal.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Tin Teardrop would be a good name for a ring mod. Maybe 'Orange Claw Hammer' for a compressor or 'Bat Chain Puller' for a delay...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Good ideas. Bat Chain Puller....hmmmm....I'm building another Fuzz Factory...
    ..cos one Fuzz Factory's never enough! That's another one I've built and boxed, but yet to stick any grapics on.
    One's never enough. Nor two... when this 2nd one is done I'm planning a 3rd one with a 3 way switch with different caps for a Double Fat Fuzz Factory,
    Shatner's Basson (Buzzotron) finished and fitted up.... 

https://i.imgur.com/ajiz2gQ.jpg
    edited May 2018
    I had to look up "Shatner's Bassoon"

Looks great!
    Ha, ha, cheers I guess It would have been more appropriate name for a delay unit...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    Octafish said:
    Tin Teardrop would be a good name for a ring mod. Maybe 'Orange Claw Hammer' for a compressor or 'Bat Chain Puller' for a delay...
    But what would a Booglarizer do?
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    Sesh said:
    Octafish said:
    But what would a Booglarizer do?
    Boogle? ;)
    So, I present to you...the "Fast and Bulbous" Fat Fuzz Factory:

fff
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom