The Pedal Finishing Thread - Painting, Coating, Drilling, Envirotex, etc

What's Hot

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Yes I use optical switching with an optocoupler and an alpha dpdt.  Depending on space I either use the board from 1776 or fuzzdog.  It looks like this when installed 

http://1776effects.com/product/opto-tron-optical-bypass/

https://shop.pedalparts.co.uk/OptoPuss_-_Optical_True_Bypass_PCB/p847124_17567616.aspx

They feel nicer to use and are more reliable than a standard 3pdt.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveFSteveF Frets: 536
    Awesome, thanks, I'll give it a try.  I've ordered a relay bypass from 1776 to see what they're like too. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    @Adam_MD do you solder your own components on the bypass board or do you buy the whole shebang?
    edited May 2018
    No I just buy the boards and install my own parts.  I usually already have the resistor, cap and led in my parts drawers so just buy the optocoupler, pcb and switch.  

1776 optotron uses a H11F1 which I get from RS or rapid depending on who’s cheaper and the fuzzdog board uses a TLP222G.

I also buy my dpdt in bulk from rapid so they end up costing just under £2 a switch.  

If you’re buying in bulk it’s a bit cheaper to get your own parts approx £5 all in but if you only need a few I just looked at fuzzdogs site and his kits are £6.60 which is very reasonable.  
    I already had a load of DPDT switches and the resistors and caps so just ordered the boards and optocouplers. Managed to just buy the boards from 1776 for the relay switching too and got the transistor and relays from Mouser. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    SteveF said:
    I've ordered a relay bypass from 1776 to see what they're like too. 

I've heard of NOS but this is just ridiculous.

If it's a USA model, it will be revolutionary.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I just stocked up on Alpha 3PDT stomp switches from eBay, so I've got another 20 pedals to build before I can try the opto couplers. :o
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philtre said:
    I just stocked up on Alpha 3PDT stomp switches from eBay, so I've got another 20 pedals to build before I can try the opto couplers. :o
    Build some multis and you’ll soon fly through those  ;)
    Philtre said:
    Nahhhh, just buy more parts! This hobby isn't about economy!
    Does it bother anyone else that it's 3PDT/4PDT and not TPDT/QPDT? Or failing that, change SPDT and DPDT to 1PDT and 2PDT... No? Just me then... :/
    I'll go through some switches shortly - a mate who teaches groups has asked me to build him a 8 in 8 out bypass with a master bypass. That way he can mute the students individually or as a group. Should be easy enough but the parts alone will add up.
    SteveF said:
    Does it bother anyone else that it's 3PDT/4PDT and not TPDT/QPDT? Or failing that, change SPDT and DPDT to 1PDT and 2PDT... No? Just me then... :/
    Actually I was thinking the same the other day...not just you. =)
    Philtre said:
    SteveF said:
    Actually I was thinking the same the other day...not just you. =)
    Huzzah! =)
    edited May 2018

Philtre said:
    Nope but they look cool.  I like the caps on them too.  
    My new pedal is done..

This is a clone of the Earthquaker Devices Tentacle - http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2016/11/earthquaker-devices-tentacle.html

Note that there are no pots on this one, just on and off so I decided to make a feature of the (green) LED by putting it in a bezel. It looked naked otherwise.

When it came to do the artwork and theme I wasn't getting any inspiration from tentacles or underwater sea creatures.

So I did some research and found out that it is based off a Dan Armstrong Green Ringer pedal. Then I discovered that Frank Zappa used one of these built into his guitar.

So, with the ingredients of Green and Zappa, I present to you the Green Hocker:

green_hocker

Green hocker croakin'
    In the Pygmy Twylyte

Crankin' an' a-coke'n
    In the Winchell's do-nut Midnite

Out of his deep on a 'fore day run
    Hurtin' for sleep in the Quaalude Moonlight

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looks nice but I always think it’s teasing when someone posts a new pedal the’ve built and doesn’t show any gut shots.  

Some of us is like looking at pedal innards  :)
    Adam_MD said:
    Looks nice but I always think it’s teasing when someone posts a new pedal the’ve built and doesn’t show any gut shots.  

Some of us is like looking at pedal innards  :)
    I agree, but I've not done that in this thread because it's about the finishing aspect (drilling, ET, artwork, etc.)

But, having said that:

ghi
    So ET pour second attempt underway.  Much less stressful when you don't put too much on! =) 

Looking good so far, no prizes for guessing the pedals... 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Looking awesome, Steve!

Let me guess - klons, compressor and a pedal that laughs?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom