Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So... what about Jet City?

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26465
    I've been gigging with a JCA50H and a Marshall 1922 for about 3 years. I clipped the bright caps and put some nos RFT ecc83s in. I get some great comments especially about the lead sound. I'm a big fan to say the least. 
    That reminds me - aside from the 20W power section and the position of the loop, there's one other difference between the JCA22H and the 50H/100H. The 22H doesn't have the bright cap on the crunch channel, although it's still there on the OD channel.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    @digitalscream Your helpful PMs were instrumental in me getting my Jet City - I reckon they should send you some free stuff :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Marktigere1Marktigere1 Frets: 101
    JCA22H user here. (When my son has finished using it :()

I solved my line level loop problem by simply using a Bright Onion volume control footswitch.  (On off version not the treadle type). Run DD7, DM2w and CH1 in the loop.

I basically run the Crunch channel master volume on 8.5 and max the Overdrive channel.

I then have the volume pedal first in the loop and set the volume just so. To prevent pedal clipping it never goes above 3/4 turns. 

Sounds great from whisper home levels to "what did you say?". 

Just need to remember to keep the pedal switched in or my ears may have something to say.

Its a great amp.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    @digitalscream Your helpful PMs were instrumental in me getting my Jet City - I reckon they should send you some free stuff :)
    Ditto, your posts about these amps have made want one for a long time :)

But I need to try one.  Apparently they don't do Marshall, they're something else, which is gutting, they tick so many other boxes.
    clarkefan said:

But I need to try one.  Apparently they don't do Marshall, they're something else, which is gutting, they tick so many other boxes.
    Heh :)

It actually depends how you dial them in, and which speakers you pair with them. For example - when I play through mine, I hear Soldano through-and-through. However, @ICBM has said in the past that he hears more a more Marshally tone.
    <space for hire>
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited June 2018
    Gigged a JCA22H for ages, brilliant little amp, and despite what some say I thought the clean channel was great, and loud enough to gig un mic'd.  Prefer my Engl  ironball but it was three times the price, and certainly isn't three times as good
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Is the Custom 5 any good for home use and better than a 20? I am completely clueless about amps and was worried that a 20 at home would be like having a Ferrari in stop start traffic despite only being £15 more.
    Garthy said:
    Is the Custom 5 any good for home use and better than a 20? I am completely clueless about amps and was worried that a 20 at home would be like having a Ferrari in stop start traffic despite only being £15 more.
    For home use without a reactive load or attenuator, most of them are pretty much on the edge. Ironically, I found that the JCA50H is easier to control at home volumes than the JCA22H!

Perhaps with an inefficient speaker in a 1x12", you could probably get away with the 22?
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    digitalscream said:

It actually depends how you dial them in, and which speakers you pair with them. For example - when I play through mine, I hear Soldano through-and-through. However, @ICBM has said in the past that he hears more a more Marshally tone.
    More when the bright caps are still in place :).

I thought the JCA50 sounded very Marshally until they were removed, and then it sounded almost identical to an SLO.

digitalscream said:

That reminds me - aside from the 20W power section and the position of the loop, there's one other difference between the JCA22H and the 50H/100H. The 22H doesn't have the bright cap on the crunch channel, although it's still there on the OD channel.
    Is that the right way round? On the 50 it's the crunch channel that sounds OK with the bright cap - the same as the clean mode on the SLO - and the overdrive channel that definitely needs it removing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2329
    clarkefan said:

Heh :)

Yeah I hear more Soldano too, though admittedly I've only tried a real soldano, er, once in a shop (an avenger). Plus I use eminence v12 speakers usually, which probably helps it to sound a bit more soldanoey.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited June 2018
    When @digitalscream was waxing lyrical about them months ago, I gave one a punt, the JCA20HV, the single channel, master volume vintage head, to be honest, I doubt I will ever change to anthing else, outstanding for the price and they are cheap as you buy direct, at home,  flat out or anything in between, just brilliant!
    I changed the dreadful woven fabric covering on  front panel as it was wonky and did my head in.....a bit of scrap 1/2 ply and raid Ms nb57's sewing room.....
    Paisley!!

http://i.imgur.com/qbjJIna.jpg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Gonna keep my eye out for a used one, though at the price, a new one would be good value. I'd also be up for changing the fabric on the front, the tubes, and possibly the transformer if it made a difference. \m/
    Okay, so maybe I should be charging commission.... :D
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    Haha definitely, I've been the catalyst for a few sales where I live too.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    Go for a signature model..............
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Gonna keep my eye out for a used one, though at the price, a new one would be good value. I'd also be up for changing the fabric on the front, the tubes, and possibly the transformer if it made a difference. \m/
    The valves they come with are fine, and the transformers excellent (nice and big).  There a lot of people out there modding these, mainly because they are a cheap amp to use as a modding platform.  They absolutely do not 'need' and mods at all

Fabric on the front - cant argue with that if you dont like the look of it ;)
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Ah right. I thought it was the case, as with a lot of cheaper tube amps, to upgrade the tubes. I wouldn't have a clue as to why I would even need to upgrade the transformer, other than what I have read online of folk who seem to do it.
    Ah right. I thought it was the case, as with a lot of cheaper tube amps, to upgrade the tubes. I wouldn't have a clue as to why I would even need to upgrade the transformer, other than what I have read online of folk who seem to do it.
    There were a couple of guys in the early days of Jet City amps who replaced the transformers with the ones from the SLO (back when you could still buy them separately), which - along with the depth and bright cap mods - basically turned their £250 Jet City amp into something pretty close to a real Soldano.

I suspect this is one of the reasons that the Soldano transformers are no longer available for purchase...
    <space for hire>
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Love my JCA20H  (even more so now I've changed out the speaker in the cab to a Greenback)

I use it as the dry amp in the wet/dry setup with my Mesa as the wet amp.  Seriously massive sound.  Absolutely love it.

Also bought on the back of a @digitalscream recommendation.
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    paulnb57 said:
    When @digitalscream was waxing lyrical about them months ago, I gave one a punt, the JCA20HV, the single channel, master volume vintage head, to be honest, I doubt I will ever change to anthing else, outstanding for the price and they are cheap as you buy direct, at home,  flat out or anything in between, just brilliant!
    I changed the dreadful woven fabric covering on  front panel as it was wonky and did my head in.....a bit of scrap 1/2 ply and raid Ms nb57's sewing room.....
    Paisley!!

http://i.imgur.com/qbjJIna.jpg

I like the paisley design!