5th Birthday SetList

What's Hot

Comments

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Oh, cancel You Shook Me All Night Long for Never Gonna' Change (Drive By Truckers/Jason Isbell) please!0
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    edited June 2018
    TTony said:
    Main challenge with some of the suggestions is managing a sensible vocal part that doesn't undermine the quality that we can achieve with the rest of the instruments.
    Ouch

Edit: while I appreciate the frets, actually not joking for once.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    pmbomb said:
    Oh, cancel You Shook Me All Night Long for Never Gonna' Change (Drive By Truckers/Jason Isbell) please!0
    re singing, on the album (Trucker's The Dirty South) it's a whole tone downtuned. Guess we can do it whatever way.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    TTony said:
    Main challenge with some of the suggestions is managing a sensible vocal part that doesn't undermine the quality that we can achieve with the rest of the instruments.
    Ouch
    I reckon @ttony has got his eye on singing that one so is trying to put us off ;-)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited June 2018
    Inspired by @richardhomer ;; ;

Time Of Your Life - Green Day
    Basket Case - Green Day
    Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - hmm, who was that by again?

Oh yes, Green Day. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a few that I can do busker style at the acoustic bit, as I've been going to a singaraound once a month for the past six months, and I like to con myself that I'm actually getting better. (I'm certainly getting a lot less crap.)

I shall also bring along one of my partscasters to potentially join in with something simple electricky. I'm also (sort of) happy to lend my not-quite-perfect vocals should they be needed for someone else, and if the bassists get bored I can volunteer root note stylee too should the need arise.

The acoustic ones I can do are

The Fix (Elbow)
    The Streets Are Ours (Richard Hawley)
    And a nice simple singalong one, Lola (The Kinks)

Oh, and @Ttony, I've now paid up for both days and booked a room at The Cambridge, too, so I'm no longer a part timer.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I'll propose these three to add a little variation to the mix so far proffered:

Take it Easy - The Eagles
    Silver Machine - Hawkwind
    I Saw Her Standing There - The Beatles

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    TTony said:
    Ouch

I was intending a dig at anyone @darthed1981 ;

In my first post, I said that a simple song done well sounds (and feels) better than a complex song done badly.  Just pointing out that the same applies to the vocal part.  ACDC tracks are reasonably easy to play for guitar, bass and drums, but the vocals are a stretch for anyone.  

It's the equivalent of a vocalists convention suggesting some Satriani tracks because the vocals are reasonably easy ...
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    TTony said:
    TTony said:
    Ouch

I was intending a dig at anyone @darthed1981 ;

In my first post, I said that a simple song done well sounds (and feels) better than a complex song done badly.  Just pointing out that the same applies to the vocal part.  ACDC tracks are reasonably easy to play for guitar, bass and drums, but the vocals are a stretch for anyone.  

It's the equivalent of a vocalists convention suggesting some Satriani tracks because the vocals are reasonably easy ...
    ;)
    Fair point! We have certainly had some very challenging ones on the set lists.

I appreciate the clarification :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Don't buy it @darthed1981 ...he was saying you're shit. ;)

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    And my post should have been was *not* intending a dig !!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    yeah fair point re singing Johnson ACDC, I switched it.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    edited June 2018
    I choose you!

Judas Priest - Living After Midnight
    The Offspring - The Kids Aren't Alright
    The Wildhearts - Suckerpunch - Beastie Boys - Fight for Your Right
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4423
    Will think on it, I was thinking maybe a few solo acoustic songs but will think about band songs. Are folk bringi g quite a few guitars?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Will think on it, I was thinking maybe a few solo acoustic songs but will think about band songs. Are folk bringi g quite a few guitars?
    There’s usually a healthy excess of guitars at these things - you can’t move for nice ones ;)
    edited June 2018
    Excited to see a bit more riffage compared to last week's dadrockfest selection of time honoured classics. ;-) 
  • The issue though, is that 'dadrockfest' songs fall under the category of simple-to-do-well. We all get bored of the same old same old, but then no one wants to spend four hours wincing on behalf of your mates,* either. ;)

* Not that I was there to witness last week's performances, so no offence intended to anyone, but I have both seen and provided performances that were deeply cringeworthy, and I can't promise not to be guilty again this time around.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    edited June 2018
    For sure, whatever makes people happy is cool. I speak very much as a middle-aged dad too!
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Also a middle aged dad who is hopefully not quite middle aged but still a dad. 

Also excited for the riffingtons, Dadfest songs are fun too, but variety is the spice of middleageddadfest life! :)

For sure. Let's keep it up, we're getting a bit thin on the ground, as well as thin on top.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom