theFB Jam - South (waterRats) - The Live Sessions!

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    Now everyone's got to be careful what they say about the drummings ... @drumswithpoopot  ;
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    TTony said:

That one felt good at the time.

Solid and tight - and Matt was really hitting the  drums!
    Matt does like to hit em that’s for sure. He’s the reason myself and Chaz the (current) bass player had to spend stupid amounts on fited ear plugs!!! After two hours of standing next to that at a gig you take a battering to the ears!... 

these recording are showing that as long as everyone has learnt their bit, anyone can put on a gigable performance.
    I’ve deliberately not “polished” any of the tracks to the extent a studio would, I’ve applied basic panning and eq and a little reverb on some instruments.

They are as raw and a live as you can get basically.

Have to ask yourself, “would you be happy if on a night out you heard these performances”?

I think the answer has to be yes!.. I’ve seen and I know bands that meet up week after week and gig non stop that put out performances not as good as the 4 above!... and you lot had never met each other!!!!

get together, form a band and start gigging I reckon!...
    TTony said:
    Now everyone's got to be careful what they say about the drummings ... @drumswithpoopot  ;
    Just don’t big him up in any way shape or form... just encourages him :)
  • TTony said:
    Took a while to choose the username - simply couldn't bring myself to go with "poopot's drummer".

Great to meet and play with you all last weekend - definitely a bit seat-of-the-pants: recording songs you've never played before, in one take, with complete strangers - but was really good fun, even though I was so completely and utterly outnumbered.

I thought the atmosphere on the day was excellent, and the comments I've read here just reinforce what a positive and supportive group this is.

Special thanks to those of you who, at the end of the day, showed @poopot that guitarists really can help drummers load their gear.

And, finally, sorry that I hit them so hard. I'm a lawyer in my day job, and it's the best way I've ever found of relieving stress. Plus @poopot always turns it up so painfully loud that it's the only way I ever get heard.

Look forward to hearing more of the recordings!

Matt
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Hi Matt,
    I didn’t get the chance to say thanks for letting me use your kit- I really appreciated it. I only have an electronic kit at home so it’s great to get a chance to play real drums!

Cheers!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    TTony said:
    Took a while to choose the username - simply couldn't bring myself to go with "poopot's drummer".

Great to meet and play with you all last weekend - definitely a bit seat-of-the-pants: recording songs you've never played before, in one take, with complete strangers - but was really good fun, even though I was so completely and utterly outnumbered.

I thought the atmosphere on the day was excellent, and the comments I've read here just reinforce what a positive and supportive group this is.

Special thanks to those of you who, at the end of the day, showed @poopot that guitarists really can help drummers load their gear.

And, finally, sorry that I hit them so hard. I'm a lawyer in my day job, and it's the best way I've ever found of relieving stress. Plus @poopot always turns it up so painfully loud that it's the only way I ever get heard.

Look forward to hearing more of the recordings!

Matt
    Thanks for your Herculean effort last week - definitely hardest working musician of the day!

On name front you could have been @mattbee or @beesticks or @chickendrumsticks anyway enough crap from me welcome aboard! 
    On name front you could have been @mattbee or @beesticks or @chickendrumsticks anyway enough crap from me welcome aboard! 
    “Chickendrumsticks”... genius!...

@poopot - Ive downloaded them and they are saved as WAVs so that's great. They are a great way to check out how we all performed on the day and the way they are mixed means I can pickout my guitar parts on Fire vs @lovestrat74 - which is really useful. We had a good dynamic going on there - we both played different parts which worked well.

Im interested in understanding why my vocals on Come Together have a slight volume pumping effect - is that due to my vocal technique (moving around the mic changing the distance?) or a limitation of everyone recording in the same room meaning individual volumes are tricky to establish?. Not a criticism of the mixing - Im just interested for my own education.

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    poopot said:
    Right then. Last one for now till I get sent some more...

Calling @TTony, @darthed1981, @McToot and @springhead....

Fortunate Son, good work chaps!!!! I'm off into the garden to hunt Charlie!....

****EDIT **** Slight Error fixed in the above - As you were, Nowt to see here.....

Theres some great riffs/lead lines going on over the chords on this track - whos the player and what guitar/amp combo was used?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:

@poopot - Ive downloaded them and they are saved as WAVs so that's great. They are a great way to check out how we all performed on the day and the way they are mixed means I can pickout my guitar parts on Fire vs @lovestrat74 - which is really useful. We had a good dynamic going on there - we both played different parts which worked well.

Im interested in understanding why my vocals on Come Together have a slight volume pumping effect - is that due to my vocal technique (moving around the mic changing the distance?) or a limitation of everyone recording in the same room meaning individual volumes are tricky to establish?. Not a criticism of the mixing - Im just interested for my own education.

I would say its due to the fact its a live performance rather than a polished vocal take... There is a certain amount of movement away from a towards the mic from yourself which is causing the volume change... no amount of compression will fix that tbh. The other thing is there is sooooooooo much bleed on each mic its nearly impossible to isolate any single instrument...

I deliberately haven't done more than a basic mix for a couple of reasons 1) I think its better to show the raw performance from the day - and I think the recordings show that... 2) realistically more than a few days would be needed for each track to polish it to the point of near perfection...
    Right then

Sweet Home Alabama... Calling @Bridgehouse , @sev112, ;@Flanging_Fred and @drumswithpoopot ;

Good work chaps:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    mrkb said:
    poopot said:
    Right then. Last one for now till I get sent some more...

Calling @TTony, @darthed1981, @McToot and @springhead....

Fortunate Son, good work chaps!!!! I'm off into the garden to hunt Charlie!....

****EDIT **** Slight Error fixed in the above - As you were, Nowt to see here.....

Theres some great riffs/lead lines going on over the chords on this track - whos the player and what guitar/amp combo was used?
    Thank you! That was me. It was my old '60 Les Paul Special into Stuart's Tweed Deluxe. No pedals. Sounded good in the room too.  
    Calling @TTony, ;@MtB @drumswithpoopotThe doctor will see you now!!!!

Apologies for busking this one!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5326
    Any chance you could post something where everyone sounds a bit crap, just to encourage those of us jam virgins who are coming to the next one? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Snags said:
    Any chance you could post something where everyone sounds a bit crap, just to encourage those of us jam virgins who are coming to the next one? ;)
    The drummers and bass players were so good it was difficult to sound bad, not impossible but difficult : )
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3010
    poopot said:
    Right then

Sweet Home Alabama... Calling @Bridgehouse , @sev112, @Flanging_Fred and @drumswithpoopot ;

Good work chaps:

Well, well,. Not too shabby for a first take with people we've only just met. @sev112 cracking job on the vox and solo's.  Many thanks @poopot and @ttony (and others!) for all the hard work.
    OMFG!!!!! I missed this on the day as I was in ASDA buying @drumswithpoopot a sandwich and some deodorant :)

Blimings!!!!!

Calling @slacker , @pmbomb and can I assume @Bridgehouse????

Your Yankee Lady is ready!!!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    edited June 2018
    thanks @poopot ;;;

much lolz, it's the Kravitz-punk version!

would have done that 10 x better with a second take, it's hard to walk in cold and kick straight in like that.

solo's OK for totally improv'd pentatonic shape 1 and my glacial speed self tripping-up fingers, and I got the key change right.

awesomeness from @slacker - we should have another go mate!

• pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    and + 1 for the bass player who didn't know we were doing it Kravitz style (and key) until 30 seconds before we started.
    edited June 2018
    pmbomb said:
    and + 1 for the bass player who didn't know we were doing it Kravitz style (and key) until 30 seconds before we started.
    Bass player got a groove on that’s for sure!...

as for one take, this track has very little bleed down the drum mics... if you have the ability to record, you could easily redo the guitars if you’re not 100% happy with them!!!!!

That said it sounds bangin as it is!!!!!